Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection in Europe) is a compilation of video games for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles. It includes 40 games previously released for the Sega Mega Drive, as well as 9 unlockable games originally released for arcade and Sega Master System. It was released in February 2009 in North America, Europe and Australia.
Each of the games can be upscaled to high-definition (720p), and the graphics can be de-pixelated through the use of an optional screen filter. Each game is given 3 savestates which allows players to save at any point in the game and restart from that point later. In addition there are options to adjust the volume levels of the Game Sound, Music, and FX. Each standard game has a museum section which contains game info, trivia, and cartridge and game case images. There are also unlockable games and interviews with the original game developers. The Xbox 360 version includes achievements and the PlayStation 3 version includes Trophies.
It includes the following games from the Sonic the Hedgehog series:
- Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3
- Sonic & Knuckles
- Sonic Spinball
- Sonic 3D
- Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
These are the achievements which add to the player's Gamerscore on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Note that the achievements below only cover the achievements for the Sonic games in the collection
|Yatta!||Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine||Complete the game||Gold||50|
|Complete Chaos||Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)||Obtain a Chaos Emerald||Bronze||30|
|A Different Tail||Sonic the Hedgehog 3||Collect 100 rings with Tails anywhere on Angel Island Zone||Gold||35|
|Flicky to the Rescue||Sonic 3D Blast||Rescue 20 Flickies.||Bronze||15|
|Lots of Zeros||Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball||Get 10,000,000 points in the first level||Gold||30|
- On the back of the game's cover, there is a mistake. There is a caption saying Sonic the Hedgehog 2. However, the image shows Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- There is another mistake. In the manual on page 7, it says that the original Sonic the Hedgehog took place on Emerald Island, when it really took place on South Island. Emerald Island does not even exist.
- Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection has a successor compilation, Sega Genesis Classic Collection Gold Edition.
- This is the only game for the PlayStation 3 that has Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic and Knuckles since PSN is the only online service which doesn't offer these two games as stand-alone downloadable titles (at least for the current versions of the PS3; unless the player does not own the Slim and Super Slim models but does own the Lauch and second generation models, he/she can still play PlayStation 2's version of Sonic Mega Collection Plus).
- Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.