Soleanna ( ソレアナ Soreana?), also known as the Principality of Soleanna ( ソレアナ公国 Soreana kōkoku?), and the city of water (水の都 Mizu no miyako?), is a location that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a beautiful coastal city-state on Earth.
Being a principality, Soleanna's reigning monarchs eschew the title "king" or "queen";[note 1] Soleanna's sovereign is generally known as 'Duke' if male or either 'Duchess' or 'Princess' if female. The small nation is apparently wealthy and prosperous; with its urban environments bearing resemblance to modern Mediterranean cities. However, Soleanna is shown to possess highly advanced technology, as is evident in Aquatic Base, a research lab underneath the ancient Royal Palace (located in Kingdom Valley).
The city worships a deity known as Solaris, "The Eternal Sun God", who is honored during the "Festival of the Sun". Soleanna's sovereign during the events of Sonic the Hedgehog is the young Princess Elise, introduced while presiding over this ceremony. In the game's timeline, the ancient castle that used to house the royal family in Kingdom Valley has been abandoned after the Solaris Project accident. The new castle is on an island off of Soleanna Castle Town near Soleanna New City – although it is unclear if this remains true in the new timeline after the game.
Soleanna New City
Soleanna New City is an Adventure Field in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). One of the three overworld areas in the game, this area is an important hub for Action Stage access, Town Missions and hidden medals.
The commercial and industrial center of Soleanna, the Soleanna New City is decidedly more modern-looking than its counterpart Soleanna Castle Town. Tall buildings and wide roads have taken over from rustic boutiques and cobbled footpaths; there's even a modern port area with warehouses and ship-loading cranes, and the headquarters of the Rimlight Corporation can be found here. There are a couple of G.U.N. agents quietly operating here, as Shadow the Hedgehog can discover. The Soleanna New City isn't all business, however, as it also hosts Soleanna's marina, where colorful yachts crowd the jetties.
Festival of the Sun
Soleanna, being a cultural center, is the holder of numerous celebrities. The most famous event is known as the Festival of the Sun. The sun has been always sacred in the city, it is an important part of the culture of Soleanna, and the citizens give thanks for the sun by honoring the traditional sun god, Solaris.
Crisis City and Paradox
There are some hints that Crisis City is, in fact, Soleanna in Silver's future. The ruined buildings bear physical resemblance to those seen in downtown Soleanna during the main timeline. Further indications come in the form of Eggman's still-active base, and Elise's apparent hallucination of Soleanna in flames, with Iblis in the center, during the opening cutscene of Sonic's story.
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Soleanna was a Human/Overlander settlement in Eurish, created as a part of the Hidden City Initiative, and a city-state of the United Federation. In this timeframe, it was ruled by Princess Elise.
After the Super Genesis Wave re-wrote history, Soleanna became largely undistinguishable from its game counterpart.
- The eagle is the symbol of Soleanna. This is exemplified by the medals marked by an eagle, the birds that appear in the Action Stages, and Solaris' head which is shaped like an eagle.
- During the scene in Sonic's story after they come back from the future, Sonic picks up a newspaper. If you look closely at it, it's called the Daily 'Soreana'.
- In the night time version of Sonic Unleashed's Skyscraper Scamper there is a neon sign reading "Soleanna Hotel" (but misspelled as "Soleana") in yellow.
- Soleanna is based on and has a similar style to the water city of Venice, Italy, which may be how Silver got his original name.
- Soleanna is well known for its delicious food, such as their juicy apples and the Freight Sandwich.
- According to Silver, Soleanna is actually an island nation when he says, "I'm sure the guy I'm looking for is still on the island".
- The people of Soleanna celebrate many festivals, including the Soleanna Apple Festival, the Water Target Tournament, the Ring Race, and most importantly, the Festival of the Sun, where they pay honor and tribute to Solaris.
- Although the deceased Duke of Soleanna is referred to almost exclusively as a "Duke" throughout Sonic the Hedgehog, Rouge does refer to him as "the former king" during a conversation in Kingdom Valley. The title "Queen," however, is used in reference to Elise by her father: "Become a strong queen who won't cry no matter what happens."
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (24 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. PlayStation 3. Sega. Cutscene: To the ancient Soleanna Castle (Shadow Episode). "Rouge: Ah, Soleanna, the city of water. It has a constitutional monarchy, you know. The primary industries are tourism and crafting precision machinery. The current sovereign is Princess Elise the Third."
- ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ【公式】 on Twitter. Twitter. Sega (30 August 2021). Archived from the original on 30 August 2021. Retrieved on 31 August 2021.
- Sonic Team. SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (Japanese). Action Stage: Kingdom Valley. Sega. Retrieved on 22 August 2016.