- For other uses of the term, see Sol Emerald (disambiguation). For other subjects named "Emerald", see Emerald.
The Sol Emeralds (ソルエメラルド Soru Emerarudo?) are objects that appear in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. They are a set of seven emeralds of great power from Blaze's world and the inter-dimensional counterparts to the Chaos Emeralds. They are, by custom, protected by the Sol Empire's princess, with their current guardian being Blaze the Cat.
Known as the greatest treasures of their world, the Sol Emeralds are sought by heroes and villains alike due to their immense power.
- 1 Description
- 2 Game appearances
- 2.1 Sonic Rush series
- 2.2 Super Smash Bros. series
- 2.3 Mario & Sonic series
- 2.4 Sonic and the Black Knight
- 2.5 Sonic Free Riders
- 2.6 Sonic Colors
- 2.7 Sonic Generations
- 3 In other media
- 4 Etymology
- 5 Trivia
- 6 References
The Sol Emeralds are seven emeralds in the following colors: red, blue, yellow, green, white, turquoise and purple. Also, as opposed to the brilliant cut Chaos Emeralds, the Sol Emeralds are emerald cut gems.
Powers and traits
The Sol Emeralds share many of the Chaos Emeralds' traits. Possessing mystical properties, the Sol Emeralds contain immense amounts of power similar to the power possessed by the Chaos Emeralds. Supposedly, they possess ultimate power, not unlike the Chaos Emeralds. However, their power is not unmatched, as it cannot compare to forces like the Power of the Stars.
The power of each Sol Emerald is able to seemingly convert thoughts into power; by "sensing" people's thoughts, such as thoughts of friendship, the Sol Emeralds can generate the power they contain which make them everlasting sources of energy.
The Sol Emeralds' power can be harnessed by different entities. When harnessed by living beings, they can energize the wielder's abilities. When harnessed on their own, the Sol Emeralds can be used to travel through time and space, thereby enabling dimensional travel. This power is namely applied for travel between Blaze's world and Sonic's world. Harnessing all seven Sol Emeralds will bestow a person with a transformation not unlike the Super State. This form grants flight, invulnerability, and increased innate talents. However, like the Super State, these transformations generally do not last long, and they consume tremendous amounts of Ring Energy which is needed to maintain them. The Sol Emeralds' power can also be harnessed by machinery, such as the Egg Salamander, for the purpose of powering them. If the Sol Emeralds are absent of all their energies however, they become inert stones and lose their lustre. The only known way to restore them from this state is through people's thoughts, much like the Chaos Emeralds.
Like the Chaos Emeralds, the Sol Emeralds appear to possess some form of sentience. For example, the Sol Emeralds have been able to guide Blaze to Sonic's world on a number of occasions on their own. Also, during the Jeweled Scepter incident, they remained stable in spite of the conditions in an attempt to help Sonic and Tails get home from Blaze's world. The Sol Emeralds are also linked to the Chaos Emeralds, their inter-dimensional counterparts from Sonic's world, with the two sets of Emeralds having been described as the North and South on a magnet. This makes both sets of Emeralds capable of attracting and repelling each other. Also, when in close proximity, the two sets of Emeralds call out to each other, which will generate power of cataclysmic proportions unless those wielding the Emeralds knows how to use them or the Emeralds wills themselves to remain stable.
The Sol Emeralds share a deep and important connection to Blaze's world. It has been said that Blaze's world will be lost without them, and if they are removed from Blaze's world, then that dimension will be drawn to the Sol Emeralds' location.
Sonic Rush series
In Sonic Rush, the Sol Emeralds were stolen from their guardian, Blaze the Cat, by Dr. Eggman, namely for the purpose of obtaining the ultimate power needed for his and Eggman Nega's plans of a dimension-encompassing Eggman Land, when he came to Blaze's world. As Eggman escaped with the Sol Emeralds, the Emeralds would lead Blaze to Sonic's world to save both their dimensions. When Blaze caught up to Eggman at Night Carnival, the doctor flaunted the purple Sol Emerald as he gloated. When Blaze soon after defeated Eggman and his Egg Libra, she forcelly made Eggman drop the red Sol Emerald, which she then retrieved.
From there on, Blaze continued her search for the Sol Emeralds, retrieving them one by one from Eggman. The first six were retrieved after defeating each of Eggman's mechs, while the last one was retrieved after she sent Eggman flying following a battle with Sonic. Meanwhile, due to the Sol Emeralds' presence in Sonic's world, Blaze's world began entering Sonic's world, which spelled doom for both dimensions. After the disruptions of the dimensions were stopped however, the Sol Emeralds were drained of their power by Eggman and Eggman Nega, who used their power to energize their Egg Salamander mech, when they ambushed Blaze. However, the Sol Emerald were restored by Blaze's thoughts when Sonic and his friends helped Blaze realize the power of friendship. Feeling their power for the first time, Blaze used the Sol Emeralds to transform into Burning Blaze, and together, with Super Sonic, the two heroes defeated Eggman and Eggman Nega's Egg Salamander and restored their universes.
In gameplay, Blaze will obtain a Sol Emerald after the player defeats one of the first seven bosses in Blaze's scenario for the first time. The Emeralds are collected in the following order:
|2||Blue||Egg Hammer Mega|
|6||Turquoise||Egg Hammer Fortress|
Sonic Rush Adventure
In Sonic Rush Adventure, the Sol Emeralds were scattered across Blaze's world under unknown circumstances, leaving it to the guards of the Sol Empire to track them down. After they pinpointed a Sol Emerald's location, Blaze would head out to retrieve it. After all seven Sol Emeralds and Chaos Emeralds had been collected, Tails began working on a device that would let him and Sonic use the Emeralds' power to get them back to their dimension. Suddenly, however, Dr. Eggman and Dr. Eggman Nega appeared to harness the Power of the Stars with the Jeweled Scepter and their Egg Wizard. To stop the Eggmen, Blaze used the Sol Emeralds to become Burning Blaze while Sonic used the Chaos Emeralds to become Super Sonic. Together, the two heroes defeated the Eggmen and destroyed their Egg Wizard. Afterward, Tails created the SS Tornado EX, a vehicle that used the power of both the Sol Emeralds and Chaos Emeralds to travel between dimensions, for him and Sonic to go home in. Curiously, both sets of Emeralds were extremely stable while Tails made it instead of causing cataclysmic effects. This made Tails conclude that the Emeralds seemingly wanted to help Sonic and Tails go home. As Sonic then prepared to head home, Blaze suggested that his and Tails' surprise arrival in her world was caused by the Emeralds.
In gameplay, the player will be awarded with a Sol Emerald after they complete a certain Mission with Blaze. These Missions are as follows:
|Mission no.||Name||Sol Emerald||Description||Requested by||Obtained by|
|4||Get all Sol Emeralds.||Red||The Ghost Pendulum has powered up and is out of control. Defeat it again!||Gardon||Talk to Gardon on Southern Island after clearing Coral Cave.|
|7||Get all Sol Emeralds.||Blue||Reach the Goal of Hidden Island 6.||Gardon||Talk to Gardon on Southern Island after finding Hidden Island 6.|
|10||Get all Sol Emeralds.||Yellow||The Ghost Kraken has powered up and is out of control. Defeat it again!||Gardon||Talk to Gardon on Southern Island after clearing Blizzard Peaks.|
|13||Get all Sol Emeralds.||Green||Reach the Goal of Hidden Island 12.||Gardon||Talk to Gardon on Southern Island after finding Hidden Island 12.|
|17||Get all Sol Emeralds.||White||Reach the Goal of Hidden Island 8.||Gardon||Talk to Gardon on Southern Island after finding Hidden Island 8.|
|86||Get all Sol Emeralds.||Turquoise||Captain Whisker and Johnny have powered up. Defeat them again!||Gardon||Talk to Gardon on Southern Island after clearing Pirates' Island.|
|88||Get all Sol Emeralds.||Purple||The Ghost Titan has powered up and is out of control. Defeat it again!||Gardon||Talk to Gardon on Southern Island after clearing Big Swell.|
If the player collects all seven Sol Emeralds, along with all seven Chaos Emeralds, they will unlock the game's epilogue and final stage.
Super Smash Bros. series
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Mario & Sonic series
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games
In the Nintendo DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, the Sol Emeralds are mentioned in a news brief found in Icepeak. In this brief, it is said Blaze used the Sol Emeralds to travel to the world of the Olympic Winter Games in order to participate in the games.
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
Sonic and the Black Knight
Sonic Free Riders
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the Sol Emeralds are the Sol Zone's equivalent to the Chaos Emeralds of the Prime Zone. They hold a very important role in maintaining the Sol Zone, and the Zone itself will grow unstable if they are missing from it. Just like in the games, they are guarded by Blaze the Cat, who can use their power to transform into Burning Blaze. At one point, they were scattered, leaving it to Blaze to track them down.
In the reality created by the Super Genesis Wave, the Sol Emeralds became virtually identical to their game counterparts.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing, the Sol Emeralds are a set of sentient, mystical Emeralds guarded by Blaze the Cat. In this media, their past is virtually identical to their game counterparts' up until after the events of Sonic Forces. They are used by Blaze to travel between her dimension and Sonic's. They also allow Blaze to transform into Burning Blaze.
"Sol" translates to "sun" in a variety of languages, like the Latin root word "sol", and is the origin of the word "solar." This means that the Sol Emeralds' name translates to "solar emeralds."
- The Sol Emeralds have the same colors as the Chaos Emeralds.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Exception. "Burning Blaze: I understand now... My inherent power over fire... As princess, it is my duty to protect the Sol Emeralds."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Southern Island. "Gardon: We guards have been ordered to seek out the Sol Emeralds, our world's greatest treasures."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Blaze). "Knuckles: Hmph! Why do you look so suspicious? What do you have in your hands? / Blaze: Hmm...! / Knuckles: I sense a familiar power... Do you have Chaos Emeralds? / Blaze: (Chaos Emeralds?) (Are there gems here akin to the Sol Emeralds?)"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Dead Line. "Eggman: Sonic! Get in line. I must beat this cat again. Then, when I have the emeralds, I'll have ultimate power... / Blaze: ... ... ... You stole the Sol Emeralds, and jeopardized my world... Just so you could get "ultimate power"?!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Deep Core. "Dr. Eggman: I never imagined that this sort of power was even possible! Even the Chaos Emeralds and Sol Emeralds can't compare to this! Mwa ha ha ha ha!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Opening sequence (Extra). "Sonic: As long as you have the power of friendship, the Sol Emeralds... will never lose their glow! / Blaze: ! The Sol Emeralds...! / Sonic: Ready to do this together? Blaze should be able to use the Sol Emeralds now. / Blaze: It's so warm! I can feel the power energizing me!"
- Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Blaze. Sega. Archived from the original on 26 May 2019. Retrieved on 3 July 2015.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Southern Island. "Blaze: Sonic, you mentioned before that the Sol Emeralds' power allows dimensional travel. Perhaps you'd be able to use the Chaos Emeralds to get to your world."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Opening sequence (Extra). "Blaze: Sorry, Sonic. The Sol Emeralds have lost their power. Look, their lustre... they look like ordinary stones."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Coral Cave. "Blaze: When I ended up in Sonic's world, it was because both our worlds needed to be saved. And I had been led there by the Sol Emeralds."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Sweet Mountain. "Blaze: Sonic, Tails, it's been too long. / Tails: Blaze?! / Sonic: Never thought we'd see you here. / Tails: Yeah! How'd you get here? / Blaze: The Sol Emerald suddenly started glowing, then here I was."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Ending sequence. "Blaze: Hmmm. So, the, the Chaos Emeralds and the Sol Emeralds are... / Sonic: ...sort of like North and South on a magnet. / Blaze: If they have the power to repel each other, they can attract each other, too. / Sonic: And if misused, the could potentially bring ruin to both worlds. / Blaze: Right. That's what the Eggmen were both saying. / Sonic: So, them, how do you prevent that from happening, Tails? / Tails: Well, I haven't done anything special in particular. They're both extremely stable. Because of that, I was able to put this ship together in such a short time. / Blaze: What do you mean? / Tails: Well, I got to thinking... Doesn't it seem like the Emeralds are trying to help us? / Sonic: Chaos Emeralds...? / Blaze: ...and the Sol Emeralds? / Tails: Yeah. If they weren't, I don't think they'd be nearly as stable as they are. It's almost as if they WANT to be used to do this."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Opening sequence (Extra). "Dr. Eggman: And, the Chaos Emeralds / Dr. Eggman Nega: and the Sol Emeralds are / Dr. Eggman and Dr. Eggman Nega: in a manner, like the North and South magnetic poles. / Dr. Eggman: They can be used like a pair of magnets and be attracted to each other. / Dr. Eggman Nega: Or they can be used to repel the other! / Dr. Eggman: In close proximity, these emeralds call out to each other. / Dr. Eggman Nega: And the power this would generate... It could destroy the world!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Ending sequence (Extra). "Sonic: Both Eggmen knew the secret of the emeralds, right? It's why the world didn't completely fall apart when the emeralds were together. Everything should be fine since I have the seven Chaos Emeralds. As long as the person holding the emeralds can control them... And knows how to use them, nothing can go wrong. And Blaze... Now you have the power. You understand what I mean, right?
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Blaze). "Blaze: (If the Sol Emeralds are lost, my world shall be as well.)
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Blaze). "Blaze: Led by the Sol Emeralds, my world has begun to enter yours."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Blaze). "Blaze: Uh oh! What's this? What's happened to me? (Gasp!) The Sol Emeralds! My world will be in trouble without them! That mustached old man... How did he obtain the Sol Emeralds?! I remember now. I followed him... Then I got engulfed by a pure white light. But, where am I? Am I in a different dimension?"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Opening sequence (Extra). "Eggman: Hmm, I have the power of the Sol Emeralds. I think I'll first use their power to defeat you! / Eggman Nega: Yes, if you defeat him, the Sol and Chaos Emeralds' power will be... / Eggman: OURS! / Eggman Nega: Then we can create our own dream world. It'll be an Eggman Land beyond this dimension!"