- Not to be confused with Smiley (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog).
Smiley is a Mobian beaver. He was a former soldier in the Acorn Kingdom Army who became a Lieutenant of the Rebel Underground (later the Royal Secret Service) after Dr. Ivo Robotnik's military coup. He frequently works with Commander Fleming, and both serve under Geoffrey St. John.
Smiley is a brown-furred and buck-toothed Mobian beaver. He wears a purple (sometimes green) beret, purple utility belt, blue vest and purple boots.
As a Lieutenant of the Rebel Underground, Smiley helped Sally's trainees during one of their early missions, by locating and helping to heal the injured Arlo. Both he and Fleming later participated in an attack on one of Robotnik's bases and helped to defeat the Stealth 'Bots.
Smiley and Fleming were the men picked by Geoffrey St. John to escort Sonic the Hedgehog to the plane to Devil's Gulag, when Sonic was accused of murdering Princess Sally. After Sonic's escape, Geoffrey, Smiley and Fleming used Tasmanian Devils to hunt him into a cave system, and then to the Floating Island. Before Sonic was captured, Dulcy the Dragon revealed his innocence, and they set out to return to Knothole Village. After Robotnik's defeat, Smiley and Fleming took Drago Wolf to Devil's Gulag.
Following the death of Robotnik at the hands of Sonic the Hedgehog, Smiley and the rest of the Rebel Underground joined up with the the Knothole Freedom Fighters to retake and restore the decrepit capital, Mobotropolis.
Smiley, following Fleming's retirement from active duty, was stationed to guard the Armory at Mobotropolis on orders of Geoffrey St. John. He refused to let Sally inside, saying that she was unauthorized, and suggested she follow up for Geoffrey himself.
- Smiley is named after George Smiley, a spy from the novels by John le Carré.
- His species was not initially obvious, and in his early appearances, starting in Princess Sally #3, he was shown without a tail. However, Snively specifically refers to him and Fleming as "flat-tailed freaks" in Sonic the Hedgehog #54, and artwork in Sonic the Hedgehog #61 shows that Smiley has a beaver tail.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #76, "Tales of the Great War, Part 4: Another Point-of-View"
- Princess Sally #3, "Deadliest of the Species: Conclusion!"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #48, "Sonic the Fugitive"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #50, "The Big Goodbye"
- Sonic Super Special #2, "Brave New World"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #54, "Running to Standstill"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #61, "On His Majesty's Secret Service"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #63, "On His Majesty's Secret Service, Part 3"