- For other uses, see Silver the Hedgehog (disambiguation).
Silver the Hedgehog (シルバー・ザ・ヘッジホッグ Shirubā za Hejjihoggu?) is a fictional character in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is an anthropomorphic hedgehog hailing from two hundred years into the future, where his role is to prevent the ruining of his time by resolving the catastrophes of the past, resulting in frequent interactions with Sonic and the rest of his friends and allies. For his mission, Silver makes use of his psychokinesis, an ability from his time that is considered the norm, which allows him to manipulate the environment with the power of his mind.
Silver is a kindhearted and well-meaning individual, driven by a strong sense of justice to right the wrongs of the past to uphold peace, though he is somewhat naïve and immature. Despite the monumental tasks he may have on hand, he is an optimist and will do whatever is required to protect the world.
- 1 Concept and creation
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Powers and abilities
- 5 Weaknesses
- 6 Relationships
- 7 References
Concept and creation
Silver's creation was inspired by Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) early development stages, where the development team was making huge levels with multiple paths through them. With a new physics engine giving a lot of depth to the game experience, they decided they wanted to include a new character with unique abilities for an alternate way to play through the levels. This lead to Silver being given his psychokinetic powers. Early drafts describe Silver as having "special powers" of unknown origin drawn from the Chaos Emeralds, but this was rejected in the final game. Shiro Maekawa based Silver's character on Future Trunks from the Dragon Ball series.
According to the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection interview with Sega developer Shun Nakamura, Silver's abilities were originally designed for a different action game with the character not meant to make an appearance. During the development of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) in 2005, another action game Sonic Team developed, yet later canceled, named Fifth Phantom Saga featured core gameplay mechanics that focuses on the use of abilities similar to Silver's. Wanting to incorporate features emphasizing Silver's abilities, the team sought to give the character new attributes that no other Sonic characters had. The design team developed over fifty different concepts for the character before reaching his final look, where early sketches included a hedgehog-like animal wearing a futuristic headset and markings on its hair. When the team first started and had no idea what direction to follow, someone came up with the idea of a character with Sonic's scarf-like hair, but in more volume. From this idea, the team pursued the idea for a mink named "Venice" (ヴェネツィア?), after Venice in Italy, the place Soleanna is based on. However, the developers ultimately decided against this, fearing a mink would not blend in with the rest of the characters. After much discussion, the team finalized Silver as a hedgehog.
The next thing to do was choosing the color of the character. Orange was originally used for his fur for exploration, but they soon moved away from that in favor of a white-gray fur. While developing the character models and textures, they focused on using the hardware to develop the textures rather than just using simple white-gray, which led to Silver's color and name.
Silver is a very light gray (almost white) anthropomorphic hedgehog with white fur on his chest surrounding his neck with gold eyes and peach skin. He has a black nose on his muzzle, two large spines at the back of his head, while on the front of his forehead there are five distinct spines flared up and back, the two final ones covering up most of his small, triangular ears. He also has a short, pointy tail.
For attire, he wears white gloves with cyan circles with lines sticking out of the bottom leading to his golden bracelets accented in cyan. The tops of his boots are of a similar fashion with a red gem set in gold. The rest of his boots are navy blue with a white stripe down the center, cyan toes, and gray soles.
For the purpose of Extreme Gear racing, Silver wears blue boots with a white stripe down the center, gold cuffs, light blue toes, black and cyan stripes, two light blue straps each with white fasteners, white shoelaces, four gold eyelets, and white soles. He also wears his standard gloves and bracelets.
Silver is best described as having "a strong sense of justice" and it is this personality trait that motivates him to head back into the past to correct the future. He believes in standing up for those who cannot stand up for themselves. This led him to accept Blaze when everybody else was teasing her for her pyrokinetic abilities. He makes alliances and rivalries very easily and takes people's word without question; this makes him easily tricked by others. According to his character profile in Sonic Generations, he is an optimist, though as stated by himself during the Phantom Ruby incident, he is also a realist.
Although seemingly serious on the outside, an interview states that Silver is young and somewhat immature. Blaze comments on this several times and describes him as naïve and insecure when he is alone. Owing to his naivety, Silver also has no idea of how to engage in more informal conversations with others; when Sonic tried trash talking with Silver during Dodon Pa's Grand Prix, the latter took many of Sonic's statements so literally that Sonic noted that he took all the fun out of such banter. Silver is also a regular sweetheart. He is straightforward, cannot tell a lie, and is always thinking about others' happiness before his own. As such, he is always ready to protect those in need and lend a helping hand. He generally keeps a positive attitude and never gives up hope, no matter how objectively hopeless the situation. When he pursues an enemy, he does so with a relentless determination. While he may sometimes calls forth great power without mercy, he is at heart a straightforward and kind hedgehog of justice. However, calling him a hedgehog of justice might be a bit of an exaggeration. This is because his wish is to maintain peace, and not to eradicate evil. He is also quite humble: despite his actions having helped saved his era many times, Silver does not see himself a hero, but rather someone who tries to not mess up history too much. However, he is willing to bear the responsibilities of being a hero if it means putting smiles on peoples' faces.
Silver wears his heart on his sleeve. He feels anger and joy intensely and loudly, but his sadness is silent and hardly, if ever, marked by tears. He lets his rage control him and cheerfully remarks on the things that make him happy, but hardly says a word in his sadness, though it is visible to everyone. However, though he may feel sad, he never gives in to despair, always looking for a solution the right way. Silver's way of life also has a way of energizing people and make them want to watch over him and cheer him on forever, which can be considered a part of Silver's appeal. However, his determination and little regard for pain can make him a very frightening opponent. He also tends to deal with things too head-on because of the strength of his feelings and he will sometimes take everything upon himself. However, this is also an aspect of his purity and endearing virtues.
Silver is very courageous and brave, willing to fearlessly sacrifice himself for another in a heartbeat. Utterly unflinching in the face of danger, he is courageous almost to the point of foolishness and is focused on peace with little regard for his own safety.
Despite Silver's naivete and general lack of critical thinking, he is not outright slow-witted. Even Eggman Nega called him perceptive, and Silver was the first to see through his otherwise perfect disguise. With little information to draw upon, he lets his intuition guide him, but as a relatively isolated person, he has little understanding of interpersonal relations or the subtle tools of manipulators.
He apparently has a competitive streak and gets a little snotty and a prickly attitude in the heat of the moment, as seen in Sonic Rivals 2; when you play as him and pass your rival, he'll say, "I'm better." or if you win a race or battle, he says, "Who's the best?" In Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, when you win a race he says, "I am not to be trifled with!" and in Sonic Free Riders he sneers "'LATER!'" upon cruising past a fellow competitor. In Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), he generally refers to the Iblis monsters and Eggman's robots as "trash," and typically congratulates himself with a smug tone upon dispatching a roomful of them.
When meeting anyone that gets in his way, particularly in Sonic Rivals and Sonic Rivals 2, Silver can be very short-tempered and bossy towards anyone that's not explicitly helping him in his mission, sometimes even becoming directly hostile and start a fight on a bad choice of words.
When Silver is not focused on his current mission or does not have a task at hand, however, he is very friendly, helpful, and a good companion to have around.
Powers and abilities
Silver is arguably one of the more powerful characters in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Notably, he was able to fight Shadow the Hedgehog to standstill and bring Sonic to his knees in their first fight, although he was only able to accomplish the latter because Sonic let his guard down.
Silver's primary powers are his psychic abilities, which let him manipulate the environment around him with the power of his mind. His main application of this skill is his psychokinesis, which lets him control physical objects using telekinesis and has a broad range of applications. A master with this skill, Silver can telekinetically grab and move up to several objects many times his own size and weight as both a single- or collective mass, as demonstrated by his Meteor Smash attack where he forms a compressed ball of objects over twenty times his own size which could potentially weigh a net total of several tons. He can also use his psychokinesis on himself to allow himself to levitate and fly at immense speeds rivaling Sonic's running speed. Silver's psychokinesis is also able to apply immense strength. With it, he can exert enough pressure to bend a thick steel bar, crush robots with a single telekinetic grab, and immobilize the movements of someone as strong as Sonic completely. Likewise, when repelling objects with his psychokinesis, Silver can do it with enough force and speed to crush metal, send his grabbed target flying tremendous distances, and even stun enormous monsters such as Iblis. Additionally, Silver can use his psychokinesis to grab onto certain non-solid objects, such as fireballs and certain types of energy blasts. Offensive usages aside, Silver can also use his psychokinesis defensively by creating barriers of psychokinetically-bend light that are strong enough to block a 0.5% energy blast from the Eclipse Cannon. Silver can also use his psychokinesis to channel pure psychic energies that he can manipulate into energy-based attacks, such as sharp blades that he can fire at opponents. Alternatively, he can use these energies to greatly charge his already impressive telekinetic throwing range. He can also use these energies to freeze or shock enemies, namely by creating close-ranged bursts of energy that can paralyze his targets or even energy shockwaves that strike all targets around him. In addition, Silver is very creative with his psychokinesis, as he can telekinetically arrange different everyday objects into various conglomerated shapes as more effective means of attacking, such as giant balls to bowl over opponents and train-sized battering rams. Also, when letting lose, Silver can manipulate everything around him.
Offensive usages aside, Silver can apply his psychic powers for his other abilities. He has for example the power of ESP that grants him limited telepathy, but only enough to induce limited vertigo in others. He can also use his psychic powers to teleport himself over short distances instantaneously by warping space.
Psychic abilities aide, Silver possesses impressive physical abilities too. Notably, he is able to run at super speed reaching those of Sonic and Shadow's without wearing down, although he is still not as fast as Sonic. He also has incredible physical durability and endurance; during the Time Eater incident, he withstood several hits from Sonic's Homing Attack, slid along the ground for long distances without harm, and even survived being buried by his own Meteor Smash attack. In addition, Silver is also shown to have impressive agility and acrobatic skills, enough to let him move gracefully through midair (both with and without the aid of his psychokinesis), do unique tricks and movements while in mid-air, pull off various Spin Attack maneuvers at high speed, and grind on Grind Rails with ease. He also has lightning-fast reflexes and senses, being able to mimic and cope with approximately even Sonic's speedy movements. Additionally, he can do amazing feats as well, being able to catch objects moving through midair at high velocity, such as bullets and missiles, with his psychokinesis. Silver also possesses above average physical strength, being capable of pushing things several times bigger and heavier than himself.
Silver is also able to perform the Spin Attack, a technique where he curls into a concussive ball or cutting disk and directs himself at his targets. With it, Silver can shred or burrow through just about any substance given enough speed. Adept in its usage, Silver can utilize several variants of the Spin Attack for both ground- and aerial maneuvers, including the Spin Dash, Spin Jump, and Homing Attack.
In combat, Silver relies heavily on his psychic powers and using the environment to his advantage. Unlike most other characters who utilize close combat, Silver focuses on long-range attacks. When fighting, Silver constantly keeps his distance, as he tends to concentrate for an attack, which leaves him open. If an opponent does get too close, however, he can grab them telekinetically and throw them away. Aside from that, Silver's main method of attack involves him throwing the objects around him at his foes. Occasionally, he can also rearrange these objects into colossal conglomerated shapes as more effective means of attacking. If projectiles are shot at him, Silver can grab them telekinetically and throw them back at the opponent, effectively allowing him to turn his opponents' power against them. When times call for it though, Silver is also capable of going on the offensive with hand-to-hand combat. However, his proficiency with this type of combat is unclear, as he has only demonstrated a limited range of punches and Spin Attack maneuvers.
By using all seven Chaos Emeralds, Silver can enter a Super State, transforming him into Super Silver. In this state, all of Silver's innate abilities far surpasses his normal ones, including his psychic powers which have been greatly amplified. He is as well able to fly without his psychokinesis and is nearly invulnerable. However, this transformation consumes a lot of energy and requires Rings to be maintained.
By harnessing different variants of Hyper-go-on from Wisps, Silver can use specific Color Powers to transform into a certain form, such as a drill, a laser or even a planet, each one possessing its own unique abilities. So far, Silver has been able to transform into the Cyan Laser, Yellow Drill and Indigo Asteroid. However, these transformations require a steady supply of Hyper-go-on to be maintained.
Silver will lose his focus when using psychokinesis if he is caught off guard or hit by a surprise attack. Also, Silver does have a limit to how much weight he can carry while using his psychokinesis, with his maximum being around dozens of tons. Attempting to carry more than he can handle will strain his concentration to the extend that he will feel extreme pain. Also, letting his thoughts get distracted weakens his concentration and thereby his psychokinesis. In addition, if he overuses his psychokinesis, Silver can become extremely fatigued, and will need Rings to regain his energy.
Blaze the Cat
Blaze the Cat is Silver's companion and best friend. In Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) exclusively, she has lived with him in his time period for a while. She works with Silver as a partner and because she is able to sense his flames, it is she who informs him when Iblis reincarnates. They constantly work together to beat the infant Iblis back into the lava whence it came. Silver is also emotionally dependent upon Blaze; he becomes very insecure when alone, and it is usually Blaze who helps Silver back on his feet. Before she vanishes from their world at the end of Silver's story, Blaze reveals that she always liked Silver's naivete, leaving Silver deeply saddened after he is forced to seal her in another dimension. Ironically, while Silver's main enemy is a creature called the Flames of Disaster, and controls fire, Blaze also controls fire, which is why Iblis could be sealed inside Blaze.
In Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Silver respects Blaze and looks to her for guidance, validation, and emotional support. He was also one of the few who did not tease Blaze about her pyrokinesis. Aside from that, they both share the same core desire to help others and bring evil to justice at any cost, and they both pursue their goals with unwavering determination. Because they share ideas and because Blaze's logical mind grounds Silver's more emotional one, she keeps him pointed in the general vicinity of the right direction. Her maturity and focus make up for Silver's immaturity and inexperience.
After the defeat of Solaris, the timeline was altered and it appears that Silver's encounter with Blaze was erased, leaving them with no personal relation or knowledge of each other.
Silver and Blaze reappear together in the DS version of Sonic Colors in the 3rd mission on the Sweet Mountain where Silver points out how their fighting styles are similar. While Silver was not able to recall his memories of his partnership with Blaze in Sonic the Hedgehog, he was able to recall the familiar feeling of having worked together with her. In Sonic Generations, Blaze and Silver can be seen talking to each other at Sonic's birthday party.
Even though the erasing of timelines left Silver and Blaze with limited personal knowledge of each other, references about their former partnership has been presented many times in the series after Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), such as in Sonic and the Black Knight where Sir Galahad and Sir Percival (Silver's and Blaze's counterparts) are described as companions and in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (DS version), where Silver and Blaze reappear together and challenge the player to a Ice Hockey and Dream Ice Hockey (Fever Hockey) game.
In Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games and Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, Silver and Blaze have a unique gold medal pose if they work together in a team event.
In Team Sonic Racing, Silver and Blaze are on a team with Vector and they appear to have a close and friendly relationship. At one point in the story, Blaze becomes concerned when Silver starts to become weary of the race.
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog is both a good friend and good-natured rival of Silver's. Originally though, Silver was deceived by Mephiles the Dark into thinking that Sonic was the "Iblis Trigger", the person who would set in motion the event leading to the ruination of Silver's era. As such, Silver sought to kill Sonic after going back to his time, his straightforward way of thinking making him see Sonic only as a target needed to be eliminated. He initially also only referred to Sonic as the "Iblis Trigger" with contempt. When they finally met for the first time, Silver took advantage of Sonic's concern for him to hand a critical blow on him during their first fight, showing little concern for or awareness of Sonic's benevolence, and would have killed Sonic had it not been for Amy. Afterward, he found his resolve and hostility towards Sonic wavering after seeing the way that Amy revered him as a hero, although he soon regained his resolve to kill Sonic for the greater good. Nonetheless, after another failed attemot to kill Sonic and learning of Mephiles' deceit, Silver located Sonic to team up with him to save Princess Elise from Dr. Eggman, who held the key to saving his era. With Silver explaining that "circumstances have changed", Sonic quickly forgave Silver and the two became friendly allies to save Elise. Towards the end, Silver also got impressed by Sonic's faith in him and willingness to help save his era. Due to a time paradox pulled off by Sonic and Elise however, Silver and Sonic's first encounter was erased from history, causing them to forget their friendship.
Silver and Sonic later met again during the Onyx Island incident. This time around, Silver's impatience, reluctance to share his motivations, and pushy determination to find Eggman Nega caused him to see Sonic as an obstacle getting in his way. Sonic, in turn, did not find Silver's attitude appealing, but nonetheless welcomed him as a challenge to overcome on their shared hunt for Eggman Nega. Regardless, Silver would put his dislike of Sonic aside and team up with him to stop Eggman Nega's master plan. After that, he had come to respectfully acknowledge Sonic's bravery and recognized that Sonic's era would be fine with Sonic around to protect it. Even so, when Silver met Sonic again during the Ifrit incident, Silver's straightforward pursuit of Eggman Nega would cause him to compete with Sonic, who sought Eggman Nega as well, once more. When not competing with each other though, Silver and Sonic are much more relaxed towards each other; when they met during the Wisp incident, the two of them were able to maintain a friendly and positive-minded conversation.
Nowadays, Sonic and Silver are very friendly towards each other. Silver in particular has great respect for Sonic and will offer him unwavering support to rely on; during Sonic's final showdown with the Time Eater, Silver came to Sonic's aid by giving him the support needed to take down said monster. Regardless, they still retain a form of friendly rivalry with each other; during the Time Eater incident in particular, Silver would gladly accept Sonic's challenges to a rematch, claiming that it should be fun. Silver has as well shown an understanding of Sonic's thirst for excitement, having once encouraged him to try out some rides in Dr. Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park just for the fun of it. He is likewise amazed by Sonic's skills. Also, while Silver is willing to offer Sonic help, he knows he can count on him to keep his era peaceful. Likewise, during the War to Take Back the Planet, Silver would mourn Sonic but nonetheless accepted the thought of him being dead at the time after his defeat at the hands of Infinite.
When it comes to the relationship between Silver and Sonic, they both have something the other lacks. While Silver tends to deal with things too head-on because of the strength of his feelings and take everything upon himself, Sonic is always calm and cool and free to act as he pleases. However, Sonic finds these aspects of Silver appealing due to his purity and endearing virtues. Silver likewise sees Sonic as being capable of doing as he please without forgetting to provide support to those around him, and knows that he can make it so everything turns out fine. Also, even though he does not think he is capable of acting as freely as Sonic himself, Silver is still relying on him. Additionally, while they have not had many adventures where the two of them spend a lot of time together, when they do team up, they are good buddies who can make up for each other's shortcomings.
Shadow the Hedgehog
The two first met in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), when Shadow stopped Silver, who mistook him for Mephiles, from killing Sonic. After their fight, the two ventured back in time together using a dimensional rift to learn the truth about Iblis, Mephiles, and the Solaris Project.
Shadow the Hedgehog seems to be impressed by Silver's powers and his determination; most specifically how quickly he learns to induce Chaos Control. Keeping in mind that normally Shadow does not concern himself with other people and prefers to work alone, he takes Silver under his quills surprisingly easily when going into the past. At the same time, Silver seems slightly in awe of Shadow and by the end of their time together is much more mature.
Since the events of that game were erased, they did not canonically meet until Sonic Rivals. At first, Shadow did not trust Silver's speculations about Dr. Eggman's true identity. After realizing that he was right, the two helped each other in the Meteor Base. At the end of the game, Silver refers to Shadow, and Sonic, as brave. In Sonic Rivals 2, however, they're not allies; they fight each other at some points and Silver was very vocal when warning Shadow not to get in his way. They also work together in Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games to save Omochao and a Chao. In Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games they have a special winning animation, with Silver posing much more aggressively than usual in an interesting attempt to mimic Shadow's stance. While they have their differences, they work together well, and Silver admires and respects Shadow. In Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, they also have a winning animation where they acknowledge each other in a neutral way.
In Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Amy Rose mistook Silver for Sonic. Amy, who thought he was simply looking for someone, offered to help him if he would help her. Unable to deny her offer, Silver was dragged along with Amy unwillingly for a while, and found her a distraction, while Amy became his friend and promised to help him find the "Iblis Trigger". Eventually, though, Silver's helpful nature kicked in and he set aside his quest momentarily to help her search through Dusty Desert.
Silver's alliance with Amy ended up being only temporary, which ended once Silver found Sonic and tried to kill him. When Amy found out that Silver intended to kill Sonic, she left Silver, which disappointed him, he did seem as if he was going to call her back, but didn't upon realizing that it didn't matter, she would leave anyway. Strangely, when they meet again after Sonic dies and Mephiles and Iblis fuse, she bears no hard feelings towards him for his past actions and encourages him in the fight against Solaris. Because of what happens at the end of the game, Silver and Amy never met. In Sonic Forces, Silver was being optimistic and realistic with Amy about Sonic and Tails, and after having beaten Eggman's forces, they look at each other.
Espio the Chameleon
Espio the Chameleon appears to be one of Silver's closest friends, with the two having met in Sonic Rivals 2. Before they met, Espio was given an assignment by Vector the Crocodile to find out information about the recent Chao disappearances. He began to investigate Silver, a prime suspect, which the hedgehog found annoying. Eventually, the two set aside their differences and teamed up in order to stop Eggman Nega and his plans. Once they completed their mission, the two bid each other farewell, in hopes of meeting each other again. In Sonic Forces, they work in the Resistance together, with Espio agreeing with Silver that they will have to continue without Sonic and Tails.
Mephiles the Dark
In Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Mephiles the Dark takes advantage of Silver's gullibility and frustration at the constant resurrection of Iblis to manipulate him into releasing the monster in the past. He informs Blaze and Silver that Sonic was the "Iblis Trigger", the one responsible for releasing the Iblis onto the world, and uses his powers to send them back in time in order to assassinate him. In reality, Sonic's death would serve as the catalyst. Silver initially believed Mephiles' lies with blind faith, but his encounter with Sonic and Amy began to make him question his intentions. Eventually, Silver lost all faith in him and viewed him as an enemy when he discovered the truth about Mephiles after travelling to the Solaris Project with Shadow.
Knuckles the Echidna
Silver and Knuckles have a small rivalry with each other. Normally, they don't pay much attention to each other, though they have had heated battles with one another occasionally. When Silver and Knuckles first met they were initially hostile to each other, but they later put aside their differences, and willingly teamed up together. In Sonic Forces, Knuckles was the first person Silver warned about Eggman's attack, which led to the War to Take Back the Planet. Silver seems to be one of Knuckles' most trusted lieutenants and they work well together.
Eggman Nega is Silver's arch-enemy. In Sonic Rivals, it is revealed that the two are enemies and are from the same future. Silver is one of the few characters in the game, and later on its sequel, that knows that Nega is actually disguising himself as Eggman. Silver battled Eggman Nega, however Nega's device malfunctioned, and he himself was turned into a card. They clash again in Sonic Rivals 2. According to Silver, he has been chasing Eggman Nega for a long time.
- Blaze the Cat (best friend)
- Team Chaotix
- Team Dark
- Sonic the Hedgehog (good friend and rival)
- Amy Rose
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Cream the Rabbit
- Big the Cat
- Princess Elise
- Classic Sonic
- Dodon Pa
- Sonic the Hedgehog (friendly rival)
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Rouge the Bat
- Metal Sonic (also enemy)
- Eggman Nega (arch-enemy)
- Eggman Empire
- Mephiles the Dark
- Metal Sonic 3.0
- Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Silver. Sega. Archived from the original on 25 May 2019. Retrieved on 3 July 201.
- Sonic Team. 010:中村 俊 (Japanese). Sega. Retrieved on 21 April 2017.
- Black, Fletcher (14 November 2006). "Silver the Hedgehog-Psychic Hedgehog". Sonic the Hedgehog: Official Game Guide. Prima Games. p. 234. ISBN 978-0761555100.
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (7 December 2007). Sonic Rivals. PlayStation Portable. Sega. Area/level: Forest Falls Zone. "Shadow: Huh? What's this... A silver hedgehog? And... He's chasing... the doctor!? Hey you! What do you want with the doctor!?"
- SEGA (June 23rd, 2016). Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games Wii U. Nintendo. Area/Level: Collectibles (Flags). "This silver hedgehog from the future has a complicated past with Sonic, but has been known to go on world-saving adventures with him. Silver can use his telekinetic powers to move large objects or even levitate himself. He has a rather straightforward mindset, loves world peace and blue skies. The true and fair spirit of competition cultivated by the Olympic Games is what drew Silver back from the future."
- Devra Newberger Speregen (2016). Sonic: The Ultimate Character Guide. Scholastic. pp. 50–51. ISBN 978-1338033243.
- Media:Silver profile SG.png
- Team Sonic Racing reveals first Story Mode details, new character Dodonpa (English). Brian(@NE_Brian). Nintendo Everything. Retrieved on 29 September 2018.
- Sega. Sonic the Hedgehog European site. Characters: Silver the Hedgehog. Archived from the original on December 10, 2006. Retrieved on 15 March 2007. "Silver lives light years in the future where psychic abilities are the norm. The happy people of his planet are very powerful and they regularly move objects with their mind using telekinetic powers. One day, Silver witnesses the start of a cataclysmic event that will surely wipe out his entire planet. Without hesitation, he races back in time to stop the Iblis Trigger. With the very future in his hands, he will use all his power to defeat this evil-doer. Does he have the wrong guy?"
- Amaike, Yoshinari (26 September 2006). Creating Silver the Hedgehog. IGN. Retrieved on 5 July 2015.
- "Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)/Leaked script:" (The below is all temporary) A young male hedgehog who has traveled through time to change a ruined future. Despite coming from such a grim world, he is very forthright and is focused on restoring peace to the world. He's also able to get riled up, and this time around, he's going after Mephiles. He possesses some special powers which can draw upon the Emeralds. It is unknown how he got these powers, though. Essentially, think Trunks from Dragon Ball Z."
- [This Video is Private Sonic's 27th Anniversary Charity Stream - Syntero Mental Health]. YouTube. EmuEmi (23 June 2018). Retrieved on 23 June 2018.
- Sega Developer Shun Nakamura - Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection. YouTube (2 January 2012). Retrieved on 31 August 2016.
- Nakamaru interview
- Sega (24 September 2021). ソニック ＆ シルバー 前編 (Japanese). かべがみカバーストーリー. Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 24 August 2021.
- Sega (8 October 2021). ソニック ＆ シルバー キャラクター紹介 (Japanese). かべがみカバーストーリー. Archived from the original on 8 October 2021.
- Sega (1 October 2021). ソニック ＆ シルバー 後編 (Japanese). かべがみカバーストーリー. Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 1 October 2021.
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Cutscene: 10 years ago (Silver Episode).
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Cutscene: Amy puts her foot down (Silver Episode).
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Cutscene: Saved by Amy (Sonic Episode).
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Gallery. Vault 5. [Galahad] "His real name is Silver the Hedgehog. He is a silver hedgehog from the future. His main power is psychokinesis. He is 14 years old."
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008). In-game description of the "Cream" trophy. "A hedgehog who traveled back in time to defeat the Iblis Trigger and therefore alter the future. Silver has a positive attitude and a strong sense of justice. He has telekinetic powers that allow him to control physical objects, including abilities to freeze or shock enemies, which he uses to fight for peace and justice."
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Cutscene: The ruined world of the future (Silver Episode).
- Sonic Team (4 November 2011). Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Silver the Hedgehog.
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Cutscene: Shadow appears (Silver Episode).
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Area/level: Iblis Phase 3.
- Sega (3 December 2021). スーパーソニック ＆ Dr.エッグマン 後編 (Japanese). かべがみカバーストーリー. Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 3 December 2021.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (PlayStation 3) United States instruction booklet, pg. 17.
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. "Heart of the Wind description: Press the A button twice to quickly perform "Teleport Dash." This allows you to do instantaneous Teleport Dashes."
- Black, Fletcher (14 November 2006). "How To Play • Silver The Hedgehog". Sonic the Hedgehog: Official Game Guide. Prima Games. p. 17. ISBN 978-0761555100. "The Teleport Dash is a psychic jump that warps space, allowing Silver to move quickly “through” an enemy or an enemy attack and avoid damage. This is a good move to use when facing multiple enemies that you must get close enough to in order to use PK against them."
- Sonic Rivals
- Sonic Rivals 2
- Sonic Team, Dimps (22 November 2011). Sonic Generations. Nintendo 3DS. Sega. Area/Level: Silver the Hedgehog.
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Area/level: Silver the Hedgehog.
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (7 December 2007). Sonic Rivals 2. PlayStation Portable. Sega. Area/level: Frontier Canyon Zone. "Silver the Hedgehog: To be honest, my powers are almost exhausted. I'll need some Rings to power myself back up. / ... / Silver the Hedgehog: Arg. I can barely move. I must've used too much of my ESP power. But I can't let them get away. This is a battle against time! / ... / Silver the Hedgehog: Yeah. Seems like my strength is returning. Thank you, Espio."
- http://sonic.sega.jp/sonic/ Sonic '06 official Sega of Japan site
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Cutscene: Amy leaves (Silver Episode).
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Cutscene: Is it right...? (Silver Episode).
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Cutscene: Battleship explosion (Sonic Episode).
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (24 November 2006). Sonic Rivals. Sega. Area/Level: Colosseum Highway Zone (Silver's version). "Sonic: Hey, get back here, Eggman! / Silver: Get out of my way, I've got some personal business with him. / Sonic: Hey! You sure have an attitude. Who are you, anyway? / Silver: My name is Silver... I can't tell you why, but I need to get to him before you. / Sonic: Okay, Silver. Bring it on... I like challenges!"
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (24 November 2006). Sonic Rivals. Sega. Area/Level: Colosseum Highway Zone (Sonic's version). "Silver: Hey! Move aside. I already told you I need to talk to him first. / Sonic: Yo Silver... you're starting to get on my nerves! / Silver: Enough of this chit chat... prepare yourself!"
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (24 November 2006). Sonic Rivals. Sega. Area/Level: Ending sequence (Silver's version). "Silver: Eggman NEGA... It looks like he lost control of his machine, and got turned into a card himself... As soon as I can collect the other cards, and take care of Eggman NEGA's mess, I'll head back to the future... This time frame will be fine, as long as they're around... Those blue and black hedgehogs certainly are brave..."
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (13 November 2007). Sonic Rivals 2. PlayStation Portable. Sega. Area/Level: Sunset Forest Zone (Sonic's version). "Silver: Move aside, Sonic! / Sonic: Hey, Silver! Long time, no see. Guess you're looking for Eggman too, huh? / Silver: I said move aside! / Sonic: Ha... You never change, do you? Guess I'll have to find Eggman before you do!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Sweet Mountain. "Silver: They think THAT is what the future is like? Please. / Sonic: Silver? / Silver: Hey, Sonic. You planning on riding this thing? I'd give it a pass. The future's not all stone and buildings like that. / Tails: What's the future you came from like, Silver? / Silver: A lot brighter than this. The sky is blue, and everybody's got a smile. / Sonic: That sounds just like the world now. / Silver: Ha ha, exactly. If you're looking for a fun ride, I found one. Care to give it a go?"
- Sonic Team (4 November 2011). Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Cutscene: The Final Battle!.
- Sonic Team (4 November 2011). Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: White Space. "Silver: This should be fun! Let's go Sonic!".
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Sweet Mountain. "Sonic: Cool! That was fun. / Silver: Incredible! I couldn't see you half the time... / Sonic: That'll teach you to blink when I'm around!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Sweet Mountain. "Silver: Leave it to you, Sonic! / Sonic: Heh, you got that right. / Silver: You seemed busy when I found you. Anything I can help with? / Sonic: Yeah, we've got a bit on our plate, but I've got it covered. / Silver: Ha ha, I'll bet you do. Well, keep it up, Sonic. / Sonic: You know it!"