This article contains information on the manuals that were included with copies of Shadow the Hedgehog.
United States (Nintendo GameCube)
The English story prologue found in the United States' manuals:
- It's that black hedgehog that shares the all too familiar silhouette of Sonic... he's Shadow the Hedgehog.
- Some 50 years ago, this "Ultimate Life form" was the result of the army's secret research. With no records of what transpired, his true character is shrouded in darkness and even his own memory cannot serve as a key to unlock the mystery; there is only emptiness...
- "Who am I... and why can't I remember anything?"
- One day as Shadow sat trying to remember anything, he was suddenly shrouded in darkness. Out of the skies came the black creatures, calling themselves the Black Arms. By their sheer numbers and power, they left a path of destruction in their quest to overtake the world.
- As Shadow looked on, the cities were engulfed in fire and explosions as the Black Arms tattooed their presence in red... From the ashes arose their leader, Black Doom...
- "Shadow... As you can see, the day of reckoning will soon be here. Find the SEVEN Chaos Emeralds and bring them to me as promised."
- Perplexed by the dark figure who somehow knew him by name, Shadow was left wondering what clues Black Doom holds to his past and what was meant by "the day of reckoning." After a moment of silence, Shadow's puzzled expression quickly changed into that uncanny sneer... as he realized what he must do to recover his past.
- "If he says he knows the truth about who I am... then like it or not, I have to believe him. The only way I'm going to get the secrets to my past is to get those Chaos Emeralds!"
- Thus, the adventure of Shadow to uncover the mysteries of his forgotten past unfolds. Once again, the chase for the Chaos Emeralds intertwines with the full cast of Sonic and his friends, including that mad genius, Dr. Eggman.