- For other uses of the term, see Shadow the Hedgehog (disambiguation).
In other media
Shadow also appears in the anime Sonic X, debuting in the "Shadow Saga". Like in the games, his ambition was to fulfill Maria's promise of revenge towards humanity and joined forces with Eggman to seek out the Chaos Emeralds. When everyone but Shadow worked together to save the world from its imminent destruction, Christopher Thorndyke was able to convince him of Maria's true purpose. At the end, Shadow sacrificed himself for the better of the world and was presumed dead.
However, Shadow returned much later in the Metarex Saga as a rectulant pawn of Eggman, being tricked into thinking that obeying him will lead him to helping him get his memories back. However, he left him to help Sonic and co. defeat the Metarex after discovering Eggman's true intentions.
In the Sonic Boom franchise, Shadow is an indirect enemy of Team Sonic and a much darker character in comparison to other characters in the series. He is Sonic's arch-rival, capable of him matching in speed, abilities and looks. His relationship with Sonic is also just as hostile as Shadow's own harsh and anti-social behavior.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs, Shadow is the ultimate life form created by Gerald Robotnik, much like in the games. Prior to the Super Genesis Wave, his backstory was similar to his game counterpart's, having been created by Gerald Robotnik with Black Doom's aid. After the events of the Sonic Adventure 2 adaptation, Shadow was rescued by the Bem aliens to fight the Xorda, and became integral in defending against the Xorda Attack on Mobius. Afterwards, he briefly joined up with the Eggman Empire, but defected to join G.U.N. after learning of his true purpose. His relationship with Sonic the Hedgehog is also less tense in this continuity.
In the new continuity created after Worlds Collide, Shadow and his history is now virtually identical to his game counterpart's.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing, Shadow sought out to destroy Dr. Eggman from planning any counterattacks against the world. Sonic, much to Shadow's surprise, defended Eggman as he had amnesia and could no longer act against them. Sonic was able to convince Shadow from harming Eggman from there.
- "How pathetic."
- —Shadow facing the police in Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Maria... I still remember what I've promised you: For the people of this planet... I promise you... REVENGE!"
- —Shadow promising Maria revenge on the humans, Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Faker?! I think you're the fake hedgehog around here. YOU'RE comparing yourself to me!? HA! You're not even good enough to be my fake!"
- —Shadow's before his first clash with Sonic, Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Before this is over... I'll show you the true power of CHAOS CONTROL!"
- —Sonic Adventure 2, just before his second fight with Sonic.
- "That's what I've promised her. And I must keep that promised. That's what Maria wished for. I gotta go now! I have to keep my promise to Maria... And you."
- —After looking back thru what Maria said before she died and having been reminded of his true purpose through Amy, Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Maria, this is what you wanted, right? This is my promise I made to you..."
- —Shadow before his 'death' in Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Let me show you my real power."
- —Shadow the Hedgehog 2P mode.
- "Is that so? Well then... It'll be a date to DIE for!"
- —Shadow to Team Sonic, Sonic Heroes.
- "You'll regret this, Doctor. Even if I'm not real, I'm still the ultimate lifeform, Shadow the Hedgehog!"
- —Shadow before attacking the Egg Fleet, Sonic Heroes.
- "Then, I will destroy you, too...."
- —Shadow talking to Sonic when Sonic refuses to turn over Emerl in Sonic's Story, Sonic Battle.
- "You best try your hardest, or else you'll get hurt."
- —Shadow before he fights Emerl in Emerl's Story, Sonic Battle.
- "Shadow the Hedgehog... Why does that name haunt me...? It's the only thing I can remember... And... that Gruesome image..."
- —Shadow suffering from amnesia, Shadow the Hedgehog.
- "Hmm. Look how pathetic they are! I don't have time for these humans."
- —Shadow witnessing the arrival of the Black Arms.
- "Just what was that all about? If he says he knows the truth about who I am... Then like it or not, I have to believe him. The only way I'm going to get the secrets to my past is to get those Chaos Emeralds!"
- —From the prologue of the game Shadow the Hedgehog.
- "Where's that damn FOURTH Chaos Emerald?"
- —Shadow's infamous line from the beginning of Circus Park.
- "Anybody who gets in my way is my enemy."
- —Shadow after completing the Dark mission of Westopolis in Shadow the Hedgehog.
- "A Chaos Emerald? You've gotta be kidding me, guys! This is like taking candy from a baby, which is fine by me!"
- —Shadow before taking a hidden Chaos Emerald on board Tails' Spaceship in Shadow the Hedgehog.
- "I'll be there, Maria! I swear! Whatever it takes, I'll take care of the ARK and the Professor."
- —Shadow agreeing to Maria that he'll stop the Artificial Chaos in Shadow the Hedgehog
- "If what you say is true, then I will respectfully except my fate. (...) But I just need some time... to uncover the real truth."
- —Shadow to the Commander from being blamed by him in Shadow the Hedgehog.
- "Yes Doctor, you will regret ever having created me...you're going straight to hell!"
- —Shadow vs. Egg Dealer in the Neutral Hero part of Shadow the Hedgehog.
- "Goodbye, Doctor!"
- —Shadow putting an end to Dr. Eggman in the Semi Dark, Neutral Dark and Neutral Hero Endings in Shadow the Hedgehog.
- "It's do or die, Sonic the Hedgehog."
- —Shadow when he defeats Sonic and Diablon in the Final Haunt.
- "I'm Shadow the Hedgehog, and I made a promise I intend to keep. With the power of these Emeralds, Black Doom and his army are finished. This is WHO I AM!"
- —Shadow after beating Black Doom by keeping his promise to Maria in the Pure Hero ending of Shadow the Hedgehog.
- "I've heard enough. You're boring me to death, Black Doom! You're going DOWN!"
- —Shadow confronting Black Doom in Shadow the Hedgehog.
- "Goodbye forever, Shadow the Hedgehog."
- —Shadow abandoning his past, Shadow the Hedgehog.
- "That's absurd. Whatever it is you want to do, you can do it alone. (...) I determine my own destiny."
- —Shadow refusing to join Mephiles and before he fights him, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
- "Don't bother to try and deceive me. I know who I am!"
- —Shadow at the beginning of his first fight against Mephiles, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
- "Ha! There's no strength in numbers!"
- —Shadow after destroying enemies, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
- "I am the ultimate life form."
- —Shadow, Sonic Rivals 2.
- "They have no idea how unfortunate they are!"
- —Shadow taunting the Babylon Rogues in the Babylon Story of Sonic Free Riders.
- "This had to be a mistake! How could I lose?"
- —Shadow after getting beaten by Babylon Rouges three times in Team Babylon Story of Sonic Free Riders.
- "This victory will be in the honor of our fallen comrade."
- —Shadow claiming that defeating Team Rose will honor the broken E-10000B in Team Dark's story of Sonic Free Riders.
- "You're finally here, Sonic. I don't know where we are, nor do I care. This is where I finish you, Sonic."
- —Shadow when approached by Sonic for a fight for the first time in Sonic Generations.
- "Hah, Back for more, Sonic? Guess you never learn your lesson."
- —Shadow when approached by Sonic for a fight again in Sonic Generations.
- "You've got this, Sonic!"
- —Shadow cheering on the Sonics, Sonic Generations.
- "Someone needs to be taught his place."
- —Shadow during his All-Star Move, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.
- "What's wrong? Tired of being so weak?"
- —Shadow during his All-Star Move, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.
- "I'm more than enough on my own. I'll handle things my way."
- —Shadow saying the same thing Omega said in Episode Shadow, Sonic Forces.
- "You deserve that!"
- —Shadow attacking someone in Team Sonic Racing.
The video games have featured several theme songs for the character. Shadow's themes consisted primarily of the techno and industrial genres often with synched vocals that are barely audible in Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes, but have shown an increasing preference towards the hard rock genre in more recent games.
- Sonic Adventure 2: Throw It All Away - Everett Bradley.
- Sonic Heroes: This Machine - Julien-K. (This was a team theme shared with Rouge and Omega.)
- Shadow the Hedgehog featured multiple themes:
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006): "All Hail Shadow (Remix)" - Crush 40
- In addition, there are several vocal level themes associated with Shadow's character in Sonic Adventure 2:
- A special remix of "Tripod Baby" performed by M-Flo was released as a promotional song for Shadow.
- In Team Sonic Racing, Shadow's theme is "Team Ultimate: Shadow", a shortened rendition of the Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) version of "All Hail Shadow" that plays during his Team Ultimate.
Shadow was ranked as the second favorite Sonic character, beaten only by Sonic the Hedgehog himself, in the official Sonic character poll. However, many game reviewers, such as GameSpot, have called Shadow a "clone" of Sonic. Game Revolution described his character as a "quintessential anti-Sonic." In a 1UP.com feature about "How Sega Can Save Sonic the Hedgehog," Jeremy Parish wrote that of the "tagalongs" that the series must ditch, Shadow's character was the most in need of it.
- Though the design of Shadow was meant to be a secret until such time Sega decided to reveal the finalized version, details of the character were leaked when ReSaurus announced they were making figures of Shadow and Rouge, much as they had for the first Sonic Adventure title. However, the company went out of business before they could release these figures to the masses.
- According to the games' canon (and confirmed by Takashi Iizuka), Shadow and everyone else requires at least one Chaos Emerald close by to draw power from for Chaos Control, or the technique is impossible - however, Shadow has appeared to use Chaos Control and other Chaos Powers during gameplay of some games without visible Emeralds nearby. Fans have argued that it is implied in statements Shadow made in Sonic Battle that his memory of Maria allows it.
- Shadow and Knuckles were originally confirmed to appear in Sonic Unleashed. Although Shadow doesn't appear, he is briefly mentioned; during an interview with Brenda, she will ask the name of the creature that came from the planet's core. Sonic can incorrectly answer 'Shadow the Hedgehog.'
- In the Japanese commercial for Shadow the Hedgehog, Shadow is seen dancing.
- In his artwork for Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Shadow is missing his tail.
- Shadow uses his left hand when using weapons in Shadow the Hedgehog. His counterpart, Lancelot, however, fights with his right hand, possibly because of the Wii motion control. In Sonic the Hedgehog Shadow always leads with his right for his attacks during cutscenes. Shadow may either be ambidextrous or have left eye dominance, seeing as those with left eye dominance are recommended to fire guns whilst favoring their left hand. He also tends to cross his right arm under his left arm in most artworks.
- The Official Game Guide for Sonic Generations mentioned that a scientist is the one who ejected Shadow's capsule to the earth, however, he was ejected by Maria Robotnik.
- In the 2011 Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition, Shadow placed 25th in the "Top 50 Video Game Characters of All Time" while Sonic placed tenth.
- Shadow was not originally intended to be in Sonic Heroes, revealed in an initial list of teams for the game. Rouge would have been in a team with Cream and Amy and there was no mention of Omega.
- In Sonic Heroes, Shadow is shown to be faster than Sonic in grinding, but this has been modified in Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Shadow's trophy pose in Super Smash Bros. Brawl is almost identical to his artwork for Sonic the Hedgehog (2006).
- Shadow's skin color is usually tanner in his 2D artwork than in his 3D artwork.
- Normally Shadow is seen with red eyes, but in his Sonic Chronicles artwork and pictures his eyes are more of an orange color, but this may be because the artwork in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood was made by someone other than the usual Sonic Team artist.
- In the game Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Shadow is missing a quill on his head. This is also present in Sonic X.
- In Sonic Generations, the player may be rewarded with the fourth Chaos Emerald for defeating Shadow (third if he is fought before Perfect Chaos). Coincidentally, in his own game, Shadow mentions the fourth Chaos Emerald in a line, "Where's that damn fourth Chaos Emerald!?", which has since gained Internet popularity.
- Shadow's three main Chaos abilities are generally color-coded in relation to the three Chao alignments. Chaos Control requires positive chaos energy that generally glows blue, as Hero Chao have blue markings. Chaos Spear is generally depicted as being yellow-white, while Neutral Chao have yellow markings. Chaos Blast requires negative chaos energy, and is generally red, whereas Dark Chao have red markings.
- In Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Shadow's profile says he likes "nothing."
- In the 2D indie fighting game Skullgirls Encore, the 17th selectable color palette of the character Fukua is a direct reference to Shadow the Hedgehog.
- Shadow's trophy pose in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U resembles his artwork for Sonic Rivals.
- Strangely, in the leaked transcript of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Shadow was described as a "fifteen-year-old" hedgehog, just like Sonic, unlike all the other official materials which do not put an actual age to him.
- Despite many fans having speculated that Silver is related to Shadow due to Sir Lancelot and Sir Galahad's relationship in Arthurian lore (where the latter is the son of the former), Takashi Iizuka has confirmed that Silver is not a descendant of Shadow.
- Shadow is described by GUN affiliate Frances as having an IQ of about 200.
- ↑ Fast talking. Archived from the original on 26 June 2009. Retrieved on 4 September 2016.
- ↑ Creators Interview 006: Maekawa Shiro. Windii. Pastebin (22 June 2018). Retrieved on 12 January 2019.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Sega. Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Shadow. Archived from the original on 26 May 2019. Retrieved on 3 July 2015.
- ↑ Sonic Channel (23 June 2006). Official Popularity Poll results (Japanese). Archived from the original on 5 October 2013.
- ↑ Sonic Adventure 2 Hands-On. GameSpot.com. Retrieved on 2008-07-11.
- ↑ adventure 2 Sonic Adventure 2 Review for DreamCast. Game Revolution. Retrieved on 2008-07-11.
- ↑ Hit Reset: How Sega Can Save Sonic the Hedgehog. 1UP.com. Retrieved on 2009-02-02.
- ↑ At Sonic Boom 2013's Q&A session, Takashi Iizuka said (as translated by the Q&A board's translator), "If he [Shadow the Hedgehog] doesn't have a Chaos Emerald he cannot use Chaos Control" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nzxRoIX4QU at 41:30
- ↑ Sonic Team, Sonic Team USA (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Gameboy Advance. Sega. Area: Emerald Beach (Shadow's Episode). "Shadow the Hedgehog: So, basically when he absorbs this Chaos Emerald... / Rouge the bat: It would appear so. / Shadow the Hedgehog: Heh... Looks like I've got no other choice. / Rouge the bat: Shadow! That's your...! / Shadow the Hedgehog: It's all right. I... I will always be with Maria."
- ↑ Sonic Team, Sonic Team USA (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Gameboy Advance. Sega. Area: Emerald Beach (Shadow's Episode). "Shadow the Hedgehog: Let us battle, one last time, to see who truly is the strongest! ... My body wasn't healed completely before, but now I'm ready! I am the ultimate life form, Shadow the hedgehog. I will crush anyone who stands in my way! / Emerl: You sure about that? I don't want you whining about how you didn't have your "Chaos Emerald" and stuff! / Shadow: I no longer need it. I have Maria in my heart."
- ↑ Shiro Maekawa on Twitter (Japanese) (26 April 2018). Retrieved on 5 May 2018.
- ↑ Shiro Maekawa on Twitter (Japanese) (26 April 2018). Retrieved on 5 May 2018.
- ↑ TAKASHI IIZUKA CONFIRMS THAT SILVER THE HEDGEHOG IS NOT A DESCENDANT OF SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG!. YouTube (17 February 2016). Retrieved on 17 February 2016. “Monica: I have a question for your fans and Shadow! Is Silver The Hedgehog a Descendant of Shadow The Hedgehog? / Takashi Iizuka: No”