Sega Forever, also spelled as SEGA Forever, is a service by Sega for re-releasing past video games on smartphones. It was released on 22 June, 2017 for the iOS and Android platforms. The service is free to play, with games possessing in-game advertisements that can be removed with a purchase for each game.
The services contains games that were released on the Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, Sega Game Gear and SG-1000, as well as the Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast. Five games were immediately available for the service, which were Sonic the Hedgehog, Comix Zone, Phantasy Star II, Kid Chameleon and Altered Beast, and it was planned that two to three titles would release per month. Girl's Garden will also make its way to the service. While Sega stated that mobile devices are the initial focus, the service may expand to other platforms, such as the Nintendo Switch via the Nintendo Eshop, Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network. The games have new features, such as leaderboards, cloud saves, touch screen controls and will also have controller support.
List of games
Below is a list of games that are currently available for the service.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Phantasy Star II
- Comix Zone
- Kid Chameleon
- Altered Beast
- Virtua Tennis Challenge
- The Revenge of the Shinobi
- Golden Axe
- Crazy Taxi
- Space Harrier II
- Beyond Oasis
- Decap Attack
- ESWAT: City Under Siege
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Streets of Rage
- Gunstar Heroes
- Sonic the Hedgehog CD
- Dynamite Headdy
- Super Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Edition
- Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II
- Streets of Rage 2
- Shining in the Darkness
- Shining Force
- Shining Force II
- Golden Axe II
- Golden Axe III
- Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
- Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
- After Burner Climax
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Walton, Mark (21 June 2017). Sega Forever brings retro games to iOS and Android for free. Arstechnica.co.uk. Retrieved on 22 June 2017.
- ↑ Sowden, Emily (21 June 2017). [Update] The classic game streaming service SEGA Forever kicks off on iOS and Android. Pocket Gamer. Retrieved on 22 June 2017.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Batchelor, James (21 June 2017). Sega launching range of free retro games for mobile. Gamesindustry.biz. Retrieved on 22 June 2017.
- ↑ Donlan, Christian (21 June 2017). Sega's back catalogue is headed to mobile with Sega Forever. Eurogamer.net. Retrieved on 22 June 2017.
- ↑ Batchelor, James (21 June 2017). Sega Forever: The nostalgia trip that could change the company's future. Gamesindustry.biz. Retrieved on 22 June 2017.
- ↑ Statt, Nick (21 June 2017). Sega wants to turn its classic catalogue into 'the Netflix of retro gaming'. The Verge. Retrieved on 22 June 2017.
- ↑ Priest, David (21 June 2017). Sega classics are coming to your phone for free. C. Retrieved on 22 June 2017.
- ↑ Peter Glagowski (21 Novemer 2017). Sonic the Hedgehog 2 joins Sega's free mobile game initiative. Retrieved on 23 November 2017.