Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SEGA AGES ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ2 SEGA AGES Sonikku za Hejjihoggu 2?) is a re-release of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 developed by M2. It released on February 20 2020 as part of the Sega Ages lineup for Nintendo Switch. The game was first shown on the Japanese Sega Ages website as early as 2018, but it didn't receive an indication for an official release date until 2020.
Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 includes almost all of the features from 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2. The gameplay runs at a stable 60 FPS and has widescreen support (with borders or stretched).
Other returning features include the Level Select option, the display filters and the ability to play either the Rev.01 or Rev.00 version (which the interface describes as "Japan" and "International" respectively). HD vibration is also available and is used at times like when the player uses a Spin Dash, jumps on a Spring, or destroys an Item Box.
- Like Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog, in addition to the returning Spin Dash, the Drop Dash from Sonic Mania is added, and can be toggled on the menu.
- Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is included, which allows you to play through the game as Knuckles the Echidna.
- There are several modes to choose from, all work with normal Sonic 2 and Knuckles in Sonic 2:
- Original: Plays like the original Mega Drive version of the game.
- Ring Keep: From 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2, where the player starts each Act with ten Rings and only loses half their Rings when hit.
- Super Sonic: The game starts with all Chaos Emeralds unlocked, allowing Super Sonic or Super Knuckles to be playable from the start once fifty Rings are acquired. This mode is unlocked after clearing Ring Keep mode.
- A challenge mode is available where the player can compete for a high score as either Sonic or Knuckles in one of two challenges with their best scores being uploaded to an online leaderboard.
- Online rankings are avialable where players can compete in "Ring Chain Ranking" and challenge mode.