Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog (SEGA AGES ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ SEGA AGES Sonikku za Hejjihoggu?) is a re-release of Sonic the Hedgehog developed by M2 as the first game of the Sega Ages lineup for the Nintendo Switch, released alongside Thunder Force IV. It was first announced in early 2018, and later released worldwide on 20 September 2018. It was followed by Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in 2020.
Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog includes almost all of the features from 3D Sonic the Hedgehog. The gameplay remains similar to the 2013 remastered version, running at a stable 60 FPS, has widescreen support and a remastered soundtrack.
Other returning features include the Level Select option, the display filters and the ability to play either the Rev.01 or Rev.00 version (which the interface describes as "Japan" and "International" respectively).
- In addition to the returning Spin Dash (which oddly enough works so that Sonic can still take damage by colliding with a moving Badnik while revving up the move), the Drop Dash from Sonic Mania is added. These two attacks can be toggled between on the menu.
- The inclusion of the "Ring Keeper" mode from 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2, where the player starts each Act with 10 Rings and only loses half their Rings when hit.
- The ability to play the Mega Play arcade version of the game, which marks the first time this version has ever seen a re-release on a digital platform.
- A Challenge Mode where the player can compete for a high score in one of two challenges with their best scores being uploaded to an online leaderboard. The challenges are:
- Time Attack: Complete Green Hill Zone Act 1 as quickly as possible.
- Score Attack: Play through the Mega Play version and get the highest score possible with only one life.