- Not to be confused with Scratchy.
Scratch is one of the secondary antagonists in the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series. He is a Badnik chicken created by Dr. Ivo Robotnik as an adversary of Sonic the Hedgehog. Along with his "clone" Grounder, he is a member of Robotnik's Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad, and one of the doctor's main henchmen.
Scratch and Grounder serve largely as the comic relief in the series. Though he and Grounder are in charge of capturing Sonic and his friend Tails, they are incompetent and almost always fail. These repeated failures frequently result in Scratch and Grounder receiving a lot of abuse (both verbal and physical) from Dr. Robotnik.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 History
- 3 Other game appearances
- 4 Personality
- 5 Powers and abilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 In other media
- 8 Quotes
- 9 Trivia
- 10 References
Scratch is a tall, lanky, roughly humanoid robotic rooster with white feathers, scaled feet, wing-like arms, silver body armor, black collar and belt, a red rooster comb on top of his head, a red two-feathered tail, and a yellow beak and legs.
In the recent past, Scratch was conceived by Dr. Ivo Robotnik to be a super-robot that could catch Sonic the Hedgehog easily. He was created from a combination of items thrown into the Robo-Matic Machine. However, in spite of Robotnik's intentions, the Robo-Matic Machine spawned Scratch, who unfortunately was almost exactly the opposite of what the doctor wanted. After being created, Scratch had one of his tail feathers plucked and put into a cloning machine by Robotnik to make him "twice as effective", although Scratch pulled an extra lever that caused the machine to make Grounder. Despite both being on the same team, they did not get along well and fought each other over which of the two was Robotnik's favorite.
On their first mission, Scratch and Grounder were told to catch Sonic, with each robot having their own plans on how to do it. While these plans did not result in Sonic's capture, they managed to catch Tails, which made the hedgehog give himself up in exchange for his friend's safety. After this, Scratch and Grounder called Dr. Robotnik, who told them that he would come to the robots' location soon. However, immediately afterward, Coconuts, who also wanted to catch Sonic, decided to take over Scratch and Grounder's scheme in order to get a promotion. However, they were all tricked by Sonic and got trapped by him. Sonic would then free himself and Tails. Afterward, the duo tricked Robotnik into smashing his own Egg-O-Matic into Scratch and his cohorts, smashing them into pieces.
One time, Scratch and Grounder were sent by Dr. Robotnik to catch Sonic and Tails. Though they managed to do this, the heroes told the robots that they should not do that and that the meant too much for them. Afterward, Sonic started to tell Scratch and Grounder the story of how they first met. Though Grounder cried in joy, Scratch did not like the story because it ended with him getting destroyed. After this, Sonic easily freed himself and Tails using a Triple Spin, and the two escaped while Scratch and Grounder watched.
Sonic Christmas Blast
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
In the 16-bit and 8-bit versions of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Dr. Robotnik gathered many of his old henchbots, including Scratch, and asked them to kidnap the beans that inhabited Beanville so the doctor could turn them into robot slaves using his Mean Bean-Steaming Machine. Later, Scratch was the twelfth henchbot Has Bean battled and defeated.
Other game appearances
Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
Scratch is very incompetent and stupid, possessing an IQ of 40, and usually fails at almost everything he does. One example of Scratch's stupidity is when he got zapped by Dr. Robotnik's Stupidity Ray, but did not change at all intelligence-wise because he was already dim-witted. He is also highly gullible, being easily deceived by Sonic no matter how pathetic or bizarre his disguises are. Regardless, Scratch is said to be the smartest in the Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad, but that is not saying much considering how stupid they all are. At times, he would see through Sonic's disguises, but it would either be too late or be a trick within a trick.
Scratch tends to fear Dr. Robotnik's wrath, which is why he tries to serve him at his best. Whenever things start to get out of control, he will not hesitate to lie.
In contrast with his stupid personality, Scratch is a very violent robot, who carries out his leader's orders without question. He is also incredibly short-tempered and would take his anger out on Grounder invariably. He is likewise very competitive, always trying to prove himself to be the better robot, specially in comparison to Grounder.
Powers and abilities
Scratch does not have many significant abilities. Like a real rooster/chicken, Scratch is capable of pecking foes. He also seems to have a telescopic neck which can extend and retract - his head often retracts into his torso to protect himself. He can also turn his middle finger and pointer finger into sharp blades to use as a pair of scissors.
Like Grounder, Scratch is fairly durable; whenever he get damaged or blown to bits (which is very often), he can be repaired very easily. He is even capable of putting himself back together.
No way, tin brain. Dr. Robotnik loves me best, so it is always my turn.
— Scratch, "The Robotnik Express"
Grounder is Scratch's "clone", though they always bicker and fight over who is the better robot, who is more of an idiot and many other things (especially when they were created). Sometimes, the two fighting has led to many humiliating defeats.
Despite how they compete with each other and imply that they want to be separated from one another, there are rare moments where Scratch and Grounder get along. The two also put their differences aside when a superior robot appears, as they fear that they might get demoted.
Dr. Ivo Robotnik
Scratch is usually loyal to Dr. Ivo Robotnik and serves him to his fullest. However, when he fails, Robotnik gets really angry at him and abuses him. Because of this, Scratch sometimes betrays Robotnik when given the opportunity; when he became giant because of Dr. Warpnik's cannon that turns people into monsters, he and his allies decided to "give the doctor a lesson". Also, when Momma Robotnik took over Robotnik's fortress, he joyfully wanted to become her minion instead of helping the doctor. However, Scratch will always return to Robotnik's services no matter what happens.
- Dr. Robotnik
- Edgar Eagle
- Henrietta Peck
- Boogey Man
- Captain John Paul Memo
- Design Unit Flexible Underling Substitute
- Dr. Quark
- Dr. Warpnik
- Momma Robotnik
- Wes Weasely
- Bert Whoo
- Catty Carlisle
- Da Bears
- Has Bean
- King Arfur
- Kwai Chang Crane
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Miss Saccharine
- Prince Charnock
- Princess Bubbles
- Professor Caninestein
- Professor Von Schlemmer
- Robotnik Jr.
- Santa Claus
- Sketch Lampoon
- Sloth Family
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Throbbin Screech
- Throbbin Screech's niece
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series published by Archie Comics, Scratch and Grounder originally worked for Dr. Ivo Robotnik, with Scratch being the self-styled leader of the Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad. However, the team's limited AI and armaments lead to many embarrassing defeats. As the Classic Badniks faded out of use, Scratch found new work in Casino Night under Mammoth Mogul, becoming the concierge of the casino.
After the Super Genesis Wave re-wrote history, Scratch's history was altered, but still retained similarities to his old life. Under the rule of Dr. Eggman, he was a part of the Super Special Sonic Search and Smash Squad, who was once involved in a scheme with Breezie the Hedgehog. Scratch was later employed by Breezie to work for her in Casino Park.
- "Ba ha ha haaa!"
- —Scratch's signature cowl
- "Am I that ugly?!"
- —Scratch, "Super Special Sonic Search & Smash Squad"
- "86 on the chicken!"
- —"The Mobius 5000"
- Unlike Grounder and Coconuts, Scratch has no direct Badnik basis found in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, although it is believed he is based off Clucker, a Badnik in the Wing Fortress Zone. The show's bible and a few episodes of the show depict Scratch manning a turret with egg bomb projectiles.
- Scratch was voiced by Jim Cummings in the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog pilot instead of Phil Hayes, although no footage of him actually lines up with the recorded dialogue.
- Coincidentally, Scratch's Japanese name was Cluck, which happens to be the name of Dr. Robotnik's pet chicken in the Sonic the Hedgehog television series.
- Scratch and Grounder started a trend of Dr. Eggman having two incompetent sidekicks in many media, eventually making its way into the games' canon as well. Sonic Underground had Sleet and Dingo, while Sonic X had Decoe and Bocoe, and the Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Boom series had Orbot and Cubot.
- In Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Scratch has the same AI as Rulue from Puyo Puyo, the game on which Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is based.
- Ironically, since Rulue is the second-to-last enemy, Scratch's Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine AI is the smartest in the game, aside from Dr. Robotnik's, whereas he is very stupid in the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series.
- From what is seen in various episodes of the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog TV series, Scratch appears to be left-handed.
- In the Hispanic American dub of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Scratch is called "Gallotronic".
- O'Flaherty, Dennis (21 September 1993). "Blank-Headed Eagle". Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Season 1. Episode 18. First-run syndication.
- Shelly, Bruce; Shelly, Reed (3 December 1993). "Hero of the Year". Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Season 1. Episode 60.
- Booth, Doug (24 September 1993). "The Robotnik Express". Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Season 1. Episode 14.
- Scott, Jeffrey (28 October 1993). "Robotnik's Pyramid Scheme". Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Season 1. Episode 50.
- Shelly, Bruce; Shelly, Reed (6 October 1993). "Super Special Sonic Search & Smash Squad". Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Season 1. Episode 1.
- Bressack, Gordon (29 September 1993). "Robotnik's Rival". Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Season 1. Episode 36.
- Moran, Martha (6 September 1993). "Best Hedgehog". Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Season 1. Episode 13. First-run syndication.
- Forward, Bob (1 October 1993). "Trail of the Missing Tails". Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Season 1. Episode 7. First-run syndication.
- Scott, Jeffrey (26 October 1993). "Black Bot the Pirate". Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Season 1. Episode 48. First-run syndication.
- Early bio of Scratch