- For other uses of the term, see Scrap Brain (disambiguation).
Sonic the Hedgehog
- 1 Description
- 2 Story
- 3 Gameplay
- 4 Overview
- 5 Other game appearances
- 6 In other media
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Music
- 10 Videos
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Scrap Brain Zone is a large, polluted factory system located on South Island. Outdoors, many buildings in several colors can be spotted in the background, with smokestacks occasionally spewing fresh pollution into the red-colored sky. Indoors, the buildings feature many light green walls with electronic devices on them. The floors are made of light gray metal with warning signs.
Under the factories, polluted ruins made of white and light green stone can be found. Some of these areas in particular appears polished. Dead plants and pinkish water also decorate these ruins.
During his quest for the Chaos Emeralds, Dr. Robotnik built Scrap Brain Zone on South Island as his personal base. Later, Sonic the Hedgehog arrived in Scrap Brain Zone, plowing through the Badniks guarding the Zone and evading its traps. Eventually, Sonic found Robotnik, albeit on the other side of a barrier. However, in an attempt to dispose of Sonic, a maniacally-laughing Robotnik stepped on a Switch, thus causing the floor underneath Sonic to cave in and leave Sonic to fall into some polluted ruins underneath Scrap Brain Zone. However, Sonic managed to escape the ruins and get into Final Zone.
Alongside Conveyor Belts booby-trapped with saw blades that occasionally lower onto the belts and block the playable character's path, the player also has to beware of some saw blades that fly across the screen freely on a preset horizontal path if the playable character does not get to higher ground in time to avoid them. The Zone also features damage-inducing flamethrowers and electrical dischargers.
The first act takes place outside of the large factories that make up the Zone. There are also a couple of bottomless pits that the playable character can fall into if not careful as they make his way across the landscape of steel, flames, and electricity to the Goal Plate.
The second act has Sonic now inside one of the factories. When the playable character reaches the Goal Plate and they will find Dr. Robotnik safe behind a barrier. Immediately after, Robotnik jumps on a Switch that drops the playable character into the third act.
The third act takes place in an area similar to the Labyrinth Zone, but gray with purple water due to the appearance. The act is relatively short as, if the playable character can get ahead of the descending platform after activating the Switch at the beginning, they can take a shortcut to the Springs that will lead into the Final Zone.
Other game appearances
Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit)
In Sonic Drift, Scrap Brain Zone appears as one of the racing courses in the game.
Sega Superstars Tennis
Scrap Brain Zone is an unlockable court in Sega Superstars Tennis. It appears a bit gloomier than the 16-bit version. On the side of the court is the machine Robotnik used as the final boss from Final Zone, still moving up and down. Spectating from the sideline is Metal Sonic and the Egg Gunners. This is also the location of many of the missions in Superstar mode. In these missions, Egg Gunners fire at the player while the player is collecting Rings and avoiding bombs that resemble Bomb.
Sonic the Hedgehog (Didj)
In other media
Sonic the Comic
In the Sonic X comic series, Sonic, Amy, Knuckles, Rouge and Tails found their way through Scrap Brain Zone while trapped in a virtual reality world. There, the group managed to find and rescue Cream, Cheese and Vanilla.
- Scrap Brain Zone is the only Zone in the original Sonic the Hedgehog that does not give the player an opportunity to warp to the Special Stage even if they have enough Rings. This is because part of the VRAM area normally used by the Giant Ring is used by the animated smoke in the background.
- This is also the only Zone to have a different background per Act, as the other Zones share the same background in all the Acts.
- A prototype name for this Zone was Clock Work Zone. It was also referred to by this name in Sonic the Hedgehog Story Comic Volume 3, a manga published in 1991 to coincide with the release of Sonic the Hedgehog. During early development of Sonic the Hedgehog, the in-game footage at the beginning of the Zone did not correctly render the letter W, making the Zone appear to be called the "Clock Ork Zone".
- A remix of Scrap Brain Zone's music is used for the options menu in Sonic Advance.
- Scrap Brain Zone's music is an unlockable prize in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It can only be used in Green Hill Zone or on Custom Stages. The music also appears in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
- The layout of Scrap Brain Zone Act 1 was reused for Game Land Act 3-2 in Sonic Colors.
- Scrap Brain Zone was the first base of Robotnik's to appear in the Sonic series.
- Scrap Brain Zone is the only Zone in the original Sonic the Hedgehog game that does not have a boss fight.
- Scrap Brain Zone Act 3 is the only Act in the original Sonic the Hedgehog game that does not have a score tally, except when playing in Time Attack mode in the 2013 re-release.
- Scrap Brain Zone is the only Zone in the original Sonic the Hedgehog which contains all three of the elemental hazards: fire, electricity, and water.
- If Sonic respawns underwater in Scrap Brain Zone Act 3, the Act's title card will acquire the underwater palette.
|"Scrap Brain Zone ~Mega Drive Version~"||Masato Nakamura||2:35|
- Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit) page at The GHZ