The scabbard of Excalibur (エクスカリバーの鞘 Ekusukaribā no Saya?) is a significant object that appears in Sonic and the Black Knight. It is the magical sheath for the legendary sword Excalibur and an exceptionally powerful artifact. Those who possess it command immortality.
The scabbard originally belonged to Nimue, who gave it to King Arthur, but its power corrupted Arthur and turned him into an evil tyrant. Merlina the Wizard later set her sights on the scabbard and had Sonic the Hedgehog claim it for her so she could use it to make the world of Camelot everlasting.
The scabbard of Excalibur is a brown sheath about a meter long. It has a silver metal covering on the tip, with a curved open space in the metal on each side of the sheath. On the middle, it has three golden curves on each side that overlap each other, with a ruby-like gem filling the space where the innermost curves intersect. Also, on the top, around the mouth, the scabbard has a golden metal covering that is decorated with several lines, two orange orbs adorning the middle of the flat surface and a thin golden ring attached on each of the outmost sides.
Powers and traits
Those that are in the possession of the scabbard of Excalibur can bestow themselves and others, including inanimate objects and entire worlds, with the power of immortality, making the affected in question everlasting. Living beings bestowed with immortality from the scabbard can prevent any wound they may receive. However, its power can be dispelled by the sacred swords Caliburn, Arondight, Galatine and Laevatein when combining their powers.
The scabbard of Excalibur and its sword originally belonged to Nimue who watched over them. During his youth, King Arthur came to Nimue's lake in Deep Woods to replace his broken sword with Excalibur. Deeming the king worthy of character, Nimue bestowed both Excalibur and its scabbard to Arthur. However, the scabbard's power proved too much for Arthur to wield; the promise of immortality ultimately bewitched Arthur over time, turning him into a power-hungry tyrant who began enslaving his own people.
When learning about the bleak fate of Arthur's kingdom, Merlina the Wizard set her sights on obtaining the scabbard of Excalibur herself, planning to use its powers to preserve the state of the kingdom for all eternity.
Sonic and the Black Knight
In Sonic and the Black Knight, to claim the scabbard of Excalibur from Arthur, Merlina called Sonic the Hedgehog to the world of Camelot and set him on a quest to defeat Arthur and take the scabbard without letting him know of her true motives.
After Sonic found Caliburn, Arthur located Sonic and fought him in battle. However, thanks to the scabbard of Excalibur in his possession, Arthur was impervious to Sonic's attacks and eventually chose to leave. After that, Sonic traveled across the kingdom to gather the skills, knowledge, and above all, the sacred swords, which were necessary to counteract the scabbard of Excalibur. Once he had completed his tasks, Sonic fought Arthur in a final confrontation on Avalon. During the battle, Arthur attempted to use the scabbard again, but Sonic was able to blunt its power with the sacred swords, allowing him to beat Arthur for good. With his defeat, Arthur disappeared, leaving only the scabbard of Excalibur behind.
After that, Sonic brought the scabbard of Excalibur to Merlina. Calling upon the powers of the underworld, Merlina used these forces in conjunction with the scabbard's magic to grant immortality to the entire realm, but did not see that this dark magic and the unnatural change in the world's order could destroy the realm. While in the process of spreading the scabbard's power, Merlina used it to transform into the Dark Queen. When Sonic later confronted Merlina, Merlina tried to use the scabbard of Excalibur's power against Sonic, but she was defeated by Excalibur Sonic and Excalibur and her usage of the scabbard on the world was undone. What happened to the scabbard of Excalibur after that is unknown.
- The power of Excalibur's scabbard is similar to the real Arthurian legends, except in the legends, the scabbard would prevent any wound from bleeding or prevent death from a mortal wound. In the game, the scabbard only prevents all wounds.
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Sega. Cutscene: Introduction. "Merlina: You do not understand. He cannot be wounded. / ... / Merlina: He bears the scabbard of Excalibur."
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Sega. Cutscene: Queen of the Underworld. "Dark Queen: But I can succeed with the power of the scabbard. Creating a kingdom that never ends."
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Sega. Cutscene: Knight's Lesson. "Nimue: Yes. The three sacred swords, combined with your Caliburn, should dispel the power of immortality that protects him."
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Sega. Area/Level: Gallery, Vault 5. "Excalibur: When Arthur broke his sword, Merlin guided him to the lake where he found a sword held aloft by fairy magic. Arthur went out in a small boat and claimed the sword. That sword was the legendary Excalibur, which Arthur used to save the kingdom countless times."
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Sega. Cutscene: Merlina's Request. "Merlina: Yes. Nimue, the Lady of the Lake, gave him Excalibur. He was bewitched by the power of immortality its scabbard bestowed."