Sanic, a deliberate misspelling of "Sonic", refers to a series of fan artworks and game modifications featuring a poor depiction of Sonic the Hedgehog. During the 2010's, Sanic was officially referenced multiple times, mainly on the Sonic social media accounts. Sanic is commonly associated with another poorly-drawn illustration of Sonic titled "Gotta Go Fast", as well as the phrase itself.
On March 31, 2010, YouTuber 0nyxheart uploaded a video titled "How 2 Draw Sanic Hegehog", containing footage of the creation of the original Sanic illustration in MS Paint accompanied by a distorted version of the music for Green Hill Zone. The finished illustration has a quote referencing one of Sonic's taunts from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, "C'mon, step it up!". The original upload of the video has since been removed, but has been reuploaded by fans. Sanic has since been recognized by Sega, and the design by 0nyxheart in particular has been used many times, mainly on social media. The official Sonic social media team created a 3D model based on 0nyxheart's illustration, and it has been used in merchandise and even appeared in downloadable content for Sonic Forces.
In other media
- In Lego Dimensions, when the player completes Big the Cat's mission, he may remark that he's receiving a call from somebody named "Sanic".
- Sanic was mentioned by Dave the Intern in the Sonic Boom TV series episode "Do Not Disturb".
- In the Sonic the Hedgehog film, the character Crazy Carl shows tries to show off a drawing of the "Blue Devil" to prove his existence, resembling Sanic.
- on Know Your Meme
- Sega Shop (archived) at
- ↑ https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/675385045465481216
- ↑ https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/963842358210015232
- ↑ https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/980507323171979264
- ↑ https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/934472087313506304
- ↑ Saisselin, Peter (29 April 2017). "Do Not Disturb". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 77. Boomerang.