Sonic 3D Blast
The Rusty Ruin Zone is a grassy area full of ancient buildings and ruins. The floor in this Zone is covered in a yellow and green checkerboard pattern, while the walls are made of gray stone. The Zone is also decorated with high, partially damaged columns. On the walls are also vases and columns, knights' armor and decorative entrances to tunnels.
After encountering and defeating Robotnik in Green Grove Zone, Sonic continues his quest to liberating the Flickies in Rusty Ruin Zone.
Act 1 and 2 are divided into three sectors, where the player must find and destroy five Badniks within the available areas. Each of them contains a Flicky in a specific color, which Sonic must touch to make it follow him. Each sector also has a Dimension Ring which the player must deposit the Flickies they have collected into. After collecting and depositing all the available Flickies into the Dimension Ring, the wooden hatch blocking the hatch below it will open, allowing the player to head into a tunnel that will take Sonic to the next sector. Eventually, after completing the last sector, Sonic will be warped away in a pillar of light.
Rusty Ruin Zone has different gameplay elements and layouts. There are still hills and even automated half-loops, much like in Green Grove Zone, but staircase-like inclines are much more common here than smooth slopes. This is especially important in the context of the Zone's unique gimmicks. Notably, the Rusty Ruin Zone have rows of fans set on the floor. When stepping onto them, Sonic will begin performing the Whirl Attack. While spinning like this, Sonic can break down otherwise impenetrable pillar obstacles, although his handling becomes much more difficult to control. Also, the player can get knocked out of the attack by jumping or taking damage.
Rusty Ruin Zone also has a large number of traps. Notably, iron balls attached to chains appear, which are attached to poles that the iron balls rotate around. This type of obstacles appears either by itself or in pairs. Also, in some places, the walls have grooves with spikes moving through them. Flamethrowers also appear here and there. Iron balls also appear half-embedded in the ground, where they serve a role similar to spikes. Also. a peculiar gimmick found in this Zone are flat stone stands with a green ball slightly protruding from them. These stone stands light up when Sonic steps on them and react much like Bumpers, except that they do not repel Sonic.
Rusty Ruin Zone also includes other, more helpful gameplay elements. Red, vertically-aligned Springs lead the player to Rings and Sonic icons. There are also TVs containing Red Shields, which protect Sonic and the Flickies from flamethrowers. In Act 2, there are also paths where the player has to jump on platforms that move or fall upon contact. Also, on one of the slopes in Act 2, the player must bounce off trampolines protruding from the ground, as the slopes are too large to be climbed.
Sonic lands in the center of a square room containing eight Rings and a large statue. Soon, Robotnik lands on the statue and pilots it to defeat Sonic.
The boss of Rusty of Ruin Zone is Dr. Robotnik in a huge stone robot that he pilots through his Egg Mobile. The fight takes place in a small, square-shaped arena. To attack Sonic, this boss makes use if two robotic paws and a small cannon from which it periodically spews shots across the arena. To defeat Robotnik, Sonic must leap atop the paws when they smash into the ground, and then ride them up to get in range of the doctor's Egg Mobile. The fight ends after five hits has been landed.
Tails and Knuckles locations
- Tails is located in the first sector, near the Dimension Ring, in a prominent place. The path to Tails, however, is blocked by stone columns, which the player needs the Whirl Attack in order to destroy. To do this, the player must choose a side path instead of the main path. From here, the player has to navigate a path of obstacles that includes iron balls and flamethrowers in order to reach the Dimension Ring section with the Whirl Attack, while being careful not not to cancel out the Whirl Attack.
- Knuckles is located in the third sector. At its beginning, next to the first Crock, there is a Whirl Attack fan tile, and a little further ahead, there are two iron balls on chains. In the wall behind them, there is a blocked passage that the player must destroy by performing a Spin Dash. Once the passage is open, head back to the fan tile to initiate the Whirl Attack and carefully avoid the iron balls to enter the passage. From here, the player will pass through the passage to a higher island, where Knuckles can be found waiting behind some columns that must be destroyed with the Whirl Attack.
- Knuckles is located in the first sector. At the Dimension Ring, go a little to the left. There, behind some columns, there is a Blue Shield TV. The player must get there and then perform a Spin Dash near the blocked entrance to a tunnel. After entering this tunnel, the player will arrived in a separate place where they will find Knuckles.
- Tails is located in the first sector, however, his area can only be entered when passing into the third sector. In said sector, the player has to find a lonely column and destroy it with the Whirl Attack. This will reveal a tunnel leading to the beginning of the Act, which differs from it by the unlocked entrance to the Dimension Ring tunnel and Tails' presence.
- In the beginning of the Zone, there is a hole that presumably looks like what Sonic used to come in from. However, using the Spin Dash reveals a hidden Extra Life inside it.
|Rusty Ruin Zone Act I||Tatsuyuki Maeda||3:26|
|Rusty Ruin Zone Act II||Tatsuyuki Maeda||3:51|
|Rusty Ruin Zone Act 1||Richard Jacques||3:10|
|Rusty Ruin Zone Act 2||Richard Jacques||3:26|
- Sonic 3D Zones. page at The GHZ has detailed information on all the