Rouge the Bat (ルージュ・ザ・バット Rūju za Batto?) is a fictional character from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. She is an anthropomorphic bat and jewel thief that has worked as a part-time government spy for the President of the United Federation and in close association with the Guardian Units of Nations. A world-famous treasure hunter, Rouge has a weakness for jewels, like the Master Emerald and Chaos Emeralds, which she always obsesses about. As a spy, Rouge is trained in combat, stealth and infiltration, and possesses both super-level kicking power and flight.
Rouge is in short, an enigma, as her motivations are always in question. In truth, she is usually just out for herself. She is smart, sassy, and seductive, and knows how to get what she wants. Once she has a target in mind, she always goes for it, regardless of the costs. Beneath her ditsy exterior though, she is a calculating realist and her motives are always mercenary in nature. Regardless, she is loyal to her closest friends and has more than once helped Sonic the Hedgehog and his allies save the world.
Rouge is an anthropomorphic bat with white fur, tan skin, teal eyes with eyelashes, and a curvy figure. She has large pointy ears, small fangs, a small black nose on her muzzle with a pink lipstick, a short pointy tail, and a pair of dark purple wings on her back. Only her head appears to have fur, which flares out into six points at the back. Rouge usually wears powder blue eyeshadow and pink lipstick. Her typical attire consists of a black, skin-tight, strapless unitard with a pink, heart-shaped chestplate with white trim, along with long white gloves and high-heeled boots with pink cuffs. Her boots also have gray soles and feature pink hearts on the toes.
During the Neo Metal Sonic incident, Rouge wore a tight-fitting, dark purple outfit that exposed most of her chest. It featured a pink and white bodice-like garment, a white belt with a purple and pink heart-shaped buckle around the waist, white gloves with thick pink cuffs, and dark purple boots with thick pink cuffs like her gloves. Her boots also feature white buckles below the cuffs and pink and white soles. In addition, Rouge wore pink eyeshadow instead of her usual blue.
For the purpose of Extreme Gear racing and other sporting events, Rouge wears a black sports top with white trim, black bell-bottom pants with white flower-print design on the calves and a white trim at the waist. She also wears white gloves with pink trim, gold bracelets, and a pair of pink sport shoes with white stripes, pink straps with yellow fasteners, and gray soles.
Rouge is a strong-minded female bat with a collected and convivial voice. Nothing short of an enigma, she is a person of many mysteries, always playing an active role on both sides of the truth in many global affairs. Her appeal is very complex, but it is not too far off to describe her as an elusive, mysterious, and mature woman who is true to her desires.
To most people, Rouge appears as a brave, ambitious, independent, flirtatious, greedy, calculating narcissist who only thinks about herself and treasure. In Sonic Generations she is referred to as a temptress, due to her seductive ways. A gem-enthusiast, Rouge specializes in gem heists and gem-based treasure hunts, and has a unquenchable thirst for gemstones. The latter is due to a certain philosophy of hers: once you get a good gem, you will want a better one. However, a jewel that she cannot actually hold in her hand has no value to her, although a beautiful scenery matching the finest of jewels is equally valuable to her.
Rouge's carefree and playful devil-may-care attitude can be fun to some people, like the easygoing Sonic, or annoying for others, like the gruff Knuckles. While she may appear ditzy though, Rouge is in truth a cunning, calculative, and pragmatic realist; though she pretends to know nothing, she always manages to gets closer to the heart of the matter than anyone else; she shows lax behavior but manages to conduct delicate research; she can be on the enemy's side but then turn into a reliable ally while keeping her eyes on seizing the monetary prizes for herself. Overall, she has a way of taking off a figurative veil to reveal a dramatic new side of herself. Regardless, this unpredictable and mysterious aspect of Rouge may be her appeal.
Rouge can also show a bashful side, such as the time Knuckles saved her life from falling to her doom and became very embarrassed before concealing it with disgust, outrage, and ingratitude. She can also be a bit of a hypocrite, especially in regard to thefts. This is especially evident when, after witnessing the Master Emerald being stolen, she refers to the one stealing it as a thief despite the fact that she herself had stolen it from Knuckles earlier, something the echidna even noted by saying "Look who's calling who a thief", and in Grand Metropolis stage when she calls robots energy thieves.
Rouge is also at times a government spy who often works for her own gain. Rouge has a great obsession for jewels which she loves more than anything else, or even anything else that shines or glitters. Known to be a brilliant spy one minute and a gem-obsessed treasure hunter the next, she has little to no qualms about lying and manipulating others, often using her charms and attractiveness to seduce and take advantage of others, just to get what she wants. In truth though, below her outward demeanor, she possesses a kind heart. In fact, on many occasions, Rouge has shown she can be heroic, possess loyalty, care about others, or, at least, have some degree of morality. In the final events of Sonic Adventure 2, she helped save the planet from destruction. In Sonic Heroes, she jumped between Shadow and Omega's hectic fight as the mediator. In Sonic Battle, when Shadow was injured and needed a place to stay, Rouge helped him. In Shadow the Hedgehog, she did other laudable things, such as rescuing a Chaos Emerald from the doomed mainframe, destroying the evil monster Black Bull, and assisting Shadow in defeating Black Doom as well as showing concern for his welfare at the end of the game. She also is not fond of hearing Omega constantly talking about vengeance.
Recently, she has been seen less selfish, as can be seen by her actions towards Shadow in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and Sonic Rivals. However, as shown in her portrayal in Sonic Free Riders, which depicts her as very cold and callous from her desire for the cash prize, suggesting she still possesses her interest in jewels and riches. This is proved as she couldn't care less that her robot team member broke down and even went on to insult it as well.
Powers and abilities
A part-time government agent who has undergone extensive special and secret training, and the "world's greatest thief," Rouge has proven herself a most fearsome individual in terms of both skills and physical might, and is arguably one of the strongest female characters in the Sonic series. Notably, she has been able to outmatch Amy more than once, and during the Space Colony ARK incident, she was able to fight the combat-versed Knuckles the Echidna to a stalemate during their clash.
Much like Knuckles, Rouge possesses enormous strength. However, while Knuckles' strength lies in his upper body, Rouge's strength lies in her lower body, particularly in her legs and feet, which provides her with incredible kicking power. With a basic kick, she can shatter boulders and dent walls. She can likewise knock opponents high into the air or blow them away with a single kick. She can even perform powerful High Kicks that pack enough power to split an opponent in half. She can as well strike the ground with such force that it creates widespread tremors and carry the entirety of Team Dark through midair. Besides physical strength, Rouge also possesses an innate quickness, reaching those of super speeds; she was able to keep up with her teammates during the Neo Metal Sonic incident and run at speeds compatible to various other speedy individuals during the Ifrit incident. Rouge is also shown to have sharp reflexes, agility and acrobatic skills on both the ground and in midair, enough to let her effortlessly do special tricks and all other kinds of actions while in mid-air, effortlessly pull off cartwheels, pull off various Spin Attack maneuvers at high speed, and grind along Grind Rails without any trouble.
Rouge possesses powerful wings that let her fly through the air with ease. A very skilled flier, she even has a Sudden Descent Flight maneuver that allows her to get whatever she lays her eyes on. Also, thanks to her training, she can sustain flight, without losing altitude. Alternatively, she can use her wings to slowly fall while gliding through the air, like Knuckles.
Rouge is also a skilled swimmer, being able to swim into incredible depths and with both great speed and skill. She also excels at climbing, being able to scale any kind of wall, no matter the material it is made of. She is also excellent at burrowing and tunneling through subterranean regions, often by using a drill-like spin maneuver with her boots.
As a seasoned and greatly skilled spy, and the "world's greatest thief" to boot, Rouge possesses a keen and tactical mind, and is an expert in a diverse set of skills that includes gathering intel, manipulation, infiltration, lockpicking, and much more. These abilities let her out-think, out-maneuver, or simply out-class her opposition. Most of the time though, she uses these skills to pull different kinds of heists. With all those skills at her disposal, Rouge can surreptitiously enter enemy-held territory using only her expertise and sharp intellect; during the Space Colony ARK incident, she not only snuck onboard the Space Colony ARK undetected, but also tricked Shadow and Dr. Eggman into believing that she was willing to help them when she was actually sent to investigate the doctor on behalf of the United Federation while repeatedly toying around with them and eventually getting closer to the truth about Project Shadow than anyone else. She is similarly an expert in the art of stealth, as she can masterfully enter even the most fortified of locations nearly undetected, such as Prison Island, Eggman's headquarters, or Space Colony ARK, and sneak up on people without bringing attention to herself. She also has skills in hacking computers and breaking codes in record time with successful results every time. She is likewise skilled in utilizing bomb for combat and demolition; she can both throw showers of bombs at foes or snipe foes with bombs with pinpoint precision.
Rouge is also capable of performing the Spin Attack, a technique where she curls into a concussive ball or cutting disk and directs herself at her targets. With it, Rouge can shred or burrow through just about any substance given enough speed. Adept in its usage, Rouge can utilize several variants of the Spin Attack for both grounded and aerial maneuvers, including the Spin Dash, Spin Jump, and Homing Attack. However, she favors her basic Kick Attack and Drill Drive maneuvers, which let her utilize her powerful legs. Her signature skill in particular is the Screw Kick, a technique where she leaps up and spins her body to form an upwards drill, feet-first.
Even when not making use of her specialized techniques and equipment, Rouge is a swift and powerful combatant and has proven herself a force to be reckoned on the battlefield. Said to boast excellent footwork in a fight, she possesses kickboxing-like prowess, with a fighting style derived from her special training. As such, she utilizes a large number of skillful and specialized kicks, never resorting her fists or arms. Using her agility in combination with her special training, Rouge can perform moves such as high kicks, side kicks, rolling sobats, spin kicks, axe kicks and back thrust kicks where she strikes her opponents with pinpoint precision and efficiency. She can as well launch tail spin kicks that send her flying forward while spinning like a drill and let her pierce through her opponents. Rouge can also take her fighting techniques into the air with her flight skills, allowing her to hit her opponents with aerial kicks and downward tail spins.
Like real-life bats, Rouge has an excellent sense of hearing, enough to let her to hear even Espio, who is a master of stealth, when he is in her proximity. In addition, she can produce ultrasonic waves with her voice, which she can turn into a concussive force to attack foes with. As a world-famous treasure hunter, Rouge is as well a skilled treasure hunter, as seen during her hunt for the Emerald Shards and numerous searches for the Chaos Emeralds. Rouge has also proven herself as very talented Extreme Gear rider; during the second EX Grand Prix, she was able to go toe-to-toe with some of the best Extreme Gear riders in the world. While in midair, she is capable of doing several acrobatic tricks with her Extreme Gear and dash through midair with her Extreme Gear to pass through shortcuts. As seen during Dodon Pa's Grand Prix, Rouge also has excellent skills when it comes to driving and racing in racecars like the Lip Spyder.
Rouge makes use of different types of personalized mines and bombs. For example, she carries around numerous heart-marked bombs that she can deploy from midair and will detonate when touched by a foreign target. She similarly carries around other kinds of bombs for either combat and demolition. She also makes use of floating mines that are able to guide themselves towards enemies using a simple AI. During the Neo Metal Sonic incident, she also made use of Dummy Rings.
By harnessing different variants of Hyper-go-on from Wisps, Rouge can use specific Color Powers to transform into a certain form, such as a drill, a laser or even a planet, each one possessing its own unique abilities. So far, Rouge has been able to transform into the Cyan Laser, Yellow Drill, and Indigo Asteroid. However, these transformations require a steady supply of Hyper-go-on to be maintained.
While not having any physical weaknesses, Rouge's obsession with jewels can distract her. She similarly has a stubborn attitude that, along with her greed, has put her in mortal danger; during the Space Colony ARK incident, her arguing with Knuckles over the ownership of the Master Emerald would have made her fall into a lava pool had he not come to her rescue. Also, her infiltration skills are not flawless either, as she was discovered by Flying Dog while robbing Prison Island and got imprisoned by Dr. Eggman when she stole the Scepter of Darkness (although she eventually broke herself out in the latter case).
Shadow the Hedgehog
Rouge and Shadow are partners, first established in Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes. They often work together during missions, but are not seen together outside of their business alliance and do not casually spend time in one another's presence. Nonetheless, Shadow is one of the few people Rouge cares about, other than herself. It has been implied that she may have feelings for Shadow.
In Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow saw a comparison to Maria in Rouge and saved her life when she was trapped in Security Hall. Despite how he later dismissed his actions saying he only returned for the Chaos Emeralds that she had acquired, Rouge suspected that there was more to his reason for saving her than he let on.
In Sonic Heroes, Rouge forms Team Dark with Shadow and Omega. During this time, Rouge and Shadow become much closer than they were in Sonic Adventure 2; interacting more within Team Dark as partners alongside Omega. Rouge is willing to help the amnesiac Shadow get answers about his past and is shown to have concern for him when they discover the existence of Shadow Androids.
In Sonic Battle, Rouge lets Shadow stay with her at Club Rouge when he is injured during a fight after carrying him inside when he passes out in front of the club. Also, while Shadow is dreaming, an image of Rouge appears and he whispers, "Ally." Rouge seems offended when Shadow does not thank her for saving him, but later he thanked her when she told him that she actually rescued him.
In Sonic Rivals, after Shadow saves Rouge from Eggman Nega, Rouge tries to persuade him into going treasure hunting with her and suggests the two "take a peek" into their own future using Eggman Nega's device. Shadow declines and the story ends with Rouge still trying to convince Shadow to join her in hunting for the remaining cards.
In Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Rouge makes an attempt to draw Shadow into a conversation that doesn't involve Mephiles' plan to destroy the world, and at one point she says, "It's always business with you." when Shadow ignores her and rejects the off-topic sessions. Although, Shadow shows he is protective of Rouge's well-being. He caught her from a fall after she was momentarily knocked out by one of Dr. Eggman's robots, and again he jumped in front of her defensively, after a fake Chaos Emerald explodes. After Omega revealed to Shadow that he is the one who traps him in the future, Rouge told Shadow, that she will always be on his side no matter which side he takes, Shadow paused, then replied strongly that he will. Though, in the original Japanese version of the video game, Rouge simply says, "You always have friends to whom you can rely on." However, this event was erased along with the rest of the events within the game after the "future was reversed." Nonetheless, it is implied in Sonic Forces that she ultimately stayed true to that claim and maintained contact with Shadow while he was still assumed to have gone rogue due to his Phantom Copy. This is evidenced by how, when, reconvening with Rouge, he asks her about whether she found what he had requested earlier.
In Sonic Free Riders, both Shadow and Rouge appear as Team Dark along with E-10000B. Their main focus during the game is winning the treasure and prize money. Unlike in previous games, Shadow seems perfectly content with helping Rouge obtain the treasure she covets.
Knuckles the Echidna
Knuckles the Echidna is Rouge's primary rival and the two have been fighting over the Master Emerald ever since they met. Out of all the characters, Knuckles is most distrusting of Rouge, as her desire for jewels will often cause the Master Emerald to be targeted for theft. Unbeknownst to Knuckles, Rouge has a crush on him, but she would never admit it. Regardless, she is secretly inspired by Knuckles' determination to protect the Master Emerald.
In Sonic Adventure 2, when Knuckles purposely shatters the Master Emerald to save it from Doctor Eggman, Knuckles and Rouge both go looking for its pieces. During their fight aboard the Space Colony ARK, he saves her life. Rouge and Knuckles share a short moment gazing at each other before Rouge snatches her hand away and retorts with ungratefulness by teasing that he just wanted to hold her hand. In the end, Rouge gives him the remaining pieces of the Master Emerald and complains that "They stink like echidnas do," to imply her stubbornness. Once the Master Emerald is restored, Knuckles needlessly apologizes to Rouge in case he had hurt her and runs off. Before the scene fades out, Rouge gives a thoughtful smile over her shoulder before also heading out.
In Sonic Heroes, they don't have much interaction with each other. When their teams cross paths, Knuckles takes offense at Rouge’s trash talk. At the end of Team Dark's story, Rouge states her intentions go looking for the Master Emerald, "since that irritating echidna is here." However, in the last cutscene, she approaches Knuckles and coquettishly hints about going to look for someone else's treasure (hinting the Master Emerald), with Knuckles commenting that "She never gives up, does she?" before running after her.
In Sonic Rivals 2, the two team up. Rouge's reason for this is because she had a mysterious client who told her that if she found all the Chaos Emeralds, she would be rewarded, so she believes that Knuckles might help her identify her client. When Sonic first saw Knuckles and Rouge together, he teased them, asking them if they were on a date. Rouge is hostile towards Knuckles. She later supports Knuckles throughout the game but later on deceives him by calling him "dashing and daring" in order to distract him while stealing the Master Emerald, much to his fury. Most recently, in both the first and final cutscenes of Sonic Generations, Knuckles and Rouge are seen having a conversation at Sonic's birthday party. They appear to be communicating in a friendly, lighthearted way.
In Sonic Forces, Rouge and Knuckles don't show any sort of rivalry going on, as they are both determined to save the world. Rouge also seems happy to be a spy for the Resistance with Knuckles, who amiably trusts her, as its commander; she even calls him "boss", showing clear respect towards him.
Omega is a close ally of Rouge, who is quite loyal to her. She prevented Shadow and Omega from destroying each other in Sonic Heroes, and soon after they formed Team Dark to help her find Eggman's "secret treasure room." Instead of finding treasure, of course, they end up saving the world, and Team Dark has been a tightly-knit trio ever since. She has sometimes shown annoyance at Omega, saying that he is too serious and she is tired of hearing him ramble on about revenge and hatred. She also dislikes it when Omega ignores her orders and acts on his own destructive tendencies. Despite the robot's intimidating assortment of weaponry, she is definitely not above teasing him about his grandstanding, and while Omega seems annoyed he does not hold any grudges against her.
Rouge and Amy are generally portrayed allies but sometimes bitter rivals towards each other. In Sonic Battle, the two fight several times over Emerl. When Amy called Rouge's house a "dump," Rouge was furious about Amy's comment and the two started to fight over an Emerald Shard.
As shown in Shadow the Hedgehog, when Shadow had saved the world and defeated the Black Arms in the last story, Rouge says that she hopes he's okay. Amy comforts her by saying, "I'm sure he's fine, Rouge. After all, he is Shadow." Rouge then looks back at her and nods in agreement. Also, at the end of Sonic Forces, they seem to be having a friendly conversation.
Sonic the Hedgehog
As seen so far, Rouge and Sonic the Hedgehog do not really show a dislike for each other, despite him being Shadow's arch-rival and she being Knuckles' rival. Also, despite having some conflicting encounters and standpoints, they appear to be on good terms. They were at first enemies during the Space Colony ARK incident since Rouge was working with Shadow and Eggman, but became allies towards the end of the incident to save the earth. Then, after Shadow's supposed death after defeating the Finalhazard, Sonic comforted her by giving her his Inhibitor Ring. In Sonic Battle, Rouge challenges him to a battle, if she wins, Sonic will have to get her gems and work for her. Sonic manages to win however, but he did not hold any grudge against her as seen later on. Later, Sonic let Emerl say hello to Rouge, which suggest Sonic somehow trusts her. She gives Sonic the nickname "Big Blue" in Sonic Generations when rescued.
It is worth noting that in Sonic Generations, Rouge is one of the voluntary attendees at Sonic's birthday party and that Sonic treated her as all of his other friends, which shows a friendly relation between them. If Classic Sonic rescues her, she tells him to watch out for the Time Eater, then adds that he's not the Sonic she knows.
Although they do get along, they still sometimes get into fights, like in Sonic Heroes when Team Sonic and Team Dark fought in a jungle and in Sonic Battle when she kidnapped Emerl to train him to be a thief. He also told her if she did something to Emerl, he wouldn't let her off easily. When Rouge was introduced to Emerl, she gave them an idea to help Emerl, Sonic refused, calling her 'a thief'. Whether this means their friendship has grown since then or that Sonic just does not trust her completely is yet to be seen.
Overall, Rouge sees Sonic as a "shrewd" person. Although not often, due to Rouge's thief nature, there are times when she cannot help herself but to cheat, take advantage of, or steal something from him. Therefore, she often hides important information about her mission or the real purpose of giving him the information from her. However, despite her resourcefulness and art of conversation, Sonic is the one person she cannot outsmart which makes him a real nuisance to her at times like this. The conversations between Sonic and Rouge are often "probing," camouflaged by jokes, but Sonic loves to joke and talk lightly, while Rouge is a sarcastic person, which leads their conversations to feel a little adult at times. Nevertheless, both Sonic and Rouge enjoy the conversations between them that play out their "good-natured" rivalry, and can think of each other as people they can rely on in times of need, with appropriate levels of trust and caution. Whenever Rouge jumps into Sonic's adventures, she always brings new developments to Sonic and his friends.
Miles "Tails" Prower
While Tails has a friendly relationship with Rouge, she sometimes adds complications to it. They will usually get along but Rouge will sometimes playfully tease Tails to just get a reaction from him.
In Sonic Adventure 2, Tails was basically unaware of Rouge's presence, but this was because Rouge was sent by Eggman to spy on Tails when he was trying to find the President. After that their interaction stopped until the Ark was set on its collision course with earth. In Sonic Battle, Rouge would use her charms to tease Tails because she thought it was cute and funny how he reacted. She was however very helpful in Tails' story as she gave him the access card for the Central Computer Room, distracted Shadow, and told Tails how to escape the Guard Robos. Later on in Rouge's story Tails had to stop Rouge from stealing a Chaos Emerald.
Vector the Crocodile
Rouge and Vector have interacted a couple of times in the games, usually in an uncomfortable manner. She often disrespects him and marks him foolish. In Sonic Heroes in Team Dark's Story, when Rouge was the leader for Team Dark, the Chaotix budged in her way, both started trash talking to each other until Rouge asked for a fight. On Team Chaotix's side, Vector claims Rouge's team as the enemies and their client adversary which lead to a fight.
In Sonic Free Riders, in the finals, both seem to have a common interest in winning the Grand Prix's prize money. Like the other teams, Vector is surprised with her and Shadow's treatment of their robot partner in their single-minded goal of getting the cash prize. Vector says that he can relate with her in wanting the prize, though it is not worth sacrificing a teammate.
In Sonic Generations, they don't really interact with each other but they attend the same party and face the same conditions as everyone else. However, when the player gets all Red Star Rings in the Classic version of Spagonia, Vector says, "Aw man, you got all five Red Star Rings. Rouge is gonna have my hide for this one."
Wave the Swallow
Rouge and Wave have only interacted in Sonic Free Riders. They have shown to be competitive and put each other down if one of them wins. However, like the other teams, Wave is annoyed with her and Shadow's mistreatment of E-10000B in their goal of getting the cash prize, with Wave even calling her out on not caring for her partner's broken condition during the final race. The two of them also share the same interest for money and treasure.
- Amy Rose
- Big the Cat
- Classic Sonic
- Cream the Rabbit
- Dodon Pa
- E-10000B (formerly)
- E-123 Omega
- Guardian Units of Nations
- The Commander
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Princess Elise
- Shade the Echidna
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Silver the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Team Chaotix
- United Federation
- Black Arms
- Dr. Eggman
- Eggman Nega
- Mephiles the Dark
- Metal Sonic
- Nocturnus Clan
- Time Eater
- Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Rouge. Sega. Archived from the original on 26 May 2019. Retrieved on 3 July 2015.
- Devra Newberger Speregen (2016). Sonic: The Ultimate Character Guide. Scholastic. p. 33. ISBN 978-1338033243.
- Sonic Team USA (23 June 2001). Sonic Adventure 2. Dreamcast. Sega. Cutscene: Entering Rouge (Dark story). "Knuckles: Yeah, well we'll see about that, bat girl!"
- Backbone Entertainment (13 November 2007). Sonic Rivals 2. PlayStation Portable. Sega. Area/Level: Chaotic Inferno Zone. Cutscene: Ending. "Knuckles: Wait! Wait you... You bat thief! Get back here!"
- Sonic Battle (Game Boy Advance) United States instruction booklet, pg. 5.
- Sonic Team USA (23 June 2001). Sonic Adventure 2. Dreamcast. Sega. Cutscene: Entering Rouge.
- Sonic Rivals 2 (PlayStation Portable) United States instruction booklet, pg. 8.
- Sega of America. Rouge the Bat. Sonic Characters. Sega. Archived from the original on 5 March 2005. Retrieved on 26 October 2017. "Rouge is a world-famous treasure hunter who loves jewels. This fearless female bat is full of sex appeal and knows how to get what she wants. She has a bit of a crush (though she would never admit it) on a certain red echidna that we all know and love. She is secretly inspired by Knuckles' determination to protect the Master Emerald. She has a weakness for jewels, especially large jewels. When she sees one that she wants, she always goes for it, no matter the personal cost. Although she looks and acts like she hasn't a care in the world, her mind is always active scheming. Once she has a goal, her motives are always mercenary in nature."
- Sega (29 July 2021). ソニック ＆ ルージュ 前編 (Japanese). Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 29 July 2021. Retrieved on 26 October 2021.
- Sega (18 August 2021). ソニック ＆ ルージュ キャラクター紹介 (Japanese). Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 18 August 2021. Retrieved on 31 August 2021.
- Sega (23 June 2016). Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Wii U. Nintendo. Area/Level: Collectibles (Flags). "A sultry bat with an air of mystery who specializes in jewels, Rouge is a brave and seasoned spy who boasts excellent footwork in a fight. Although a treasure hunter by nature, her love for gems can sometimes cause her thieving tendencies to take over. Perhaps she entered the competition in order to get her hands on a shiny and sate her lust for glitter."
- Sega (17 August 2021). ソニック ＆ ルージュ 後編 (Japanese). Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 17 August 2021. Retrieved on 26 October 2021.
- Sega. Sonic the Hedgehog European site. Characters: Rouge the Bat. Archived from the original on 15 March 2007. Retrieved on 5 May 2015. "Did someone say jewels? This cunning treasure hunter loves glittering gems and she'll use all her charms to get her hands on them. Few know that this devil-may-care bat is also a special operative for the Federal Government. Whether she is on assignment in Soleanna or just looking to find some precious gems remains to be seen."
- Sega. Official Sonic Heroes website (Japanese). Characters: Team Dark. Sega. Archived from the original on 12 November 2004. Retrieved on 29 July 2015.
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. "Homing Cutter: Rouge's Pursuit attack. She takes down opponents with her Axe Kick. She learned this during her secret training."
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. "Rouge Sobat: Rouge's third attack. She learned the Rolling Sobat during her special training."
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. Area/Level: Central City (Rouge's Episode). "Rouge: Shoot, there she is again! Haa... Well, I guess I better take care of her. / Amy: That's it! I'll finish you here. You won't get away with this, Rouge! / ... / Amy: Haa... Haaa... I'm getting dizzy... Haa... Haa... But I'm going to fight for... Sonic... Sonic? When did you... That's right! This is OUR child! We must protect him! OK, here I come! / ... / Amy: That's it... Sonic... ? Maybe I'm imagining... I'm really... sleepy... / Rouge: That should keep her quiet. No wonder Sonic's so sick of her. She's just way too persistent! Well, she'll be fine, just sleeping here."
- Sonic Team USA (27 January 2004). Sonic Heroes. Xbox. Sega. Area/Level: Opening sequence (Team Dark's storyline).
- Sonic Heroes (PlayStation 2) United States instruction booklet, pg. 7.
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. "Rouge Catch: Rouge's air action. Her Sudden Descent Flight allows her to get whatever she lays her eyes on."
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. "Rouge Flight: Rouge's jumping skill. She can fly, without losing altitude, due to her training."
- Bandai Namco, Sora Ltd. (3 October 2014). Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Nintendo 3DS. Nintendo. Area/Level: Trophy Hoard. ""Rouge" trophy: A treasure hunter with an eye for precious gems. She wants to get every jewel and treasure in the world, and she'll never give up once she's got a target in her sights. She's smart and tactical, and can even manipulate Dr. Eggman. Definitely someone you want batting on your side!"
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. Area/Level: Emerald Town (Rouge's Episode). "Rouge: Now remember that technique I taught you earlier to open locks? / Emerl: ... ... ... / Rouge: What's the matter? Just do it as I taught you."
- Sonic Team USA (23 June 2001). Sonic Adventure 2'. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Security Hall.
- Sonic Team USA (23 June 2001). Sonic Adventure 2'. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Egg Quarters.
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Cutscene: Confirming the future (Shadow Episode).
- Backbone Entertainment (13 November 2007). Sonic Rivals 2. PlayStation Portable. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Haunt Zone Act 2 (Rouge). "Rouge: Okay, who's there? I know you're following me. / Espio: Hey, how'd you know I was there... / Rouge: Espio, these ears of mine aren't just for show, you know."
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. "Beauty Shock:Rouge's ground shot. She uses her voice to create an ultrasonic wave to attack her opponents. She learned this during her special training."
- Prima Development (20 June 2001). "Rouge the Bat". Sonic Adventure 2: Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Prima Games. p. 3. ISBN 978-0761536147. "Rouge is a world-famous treasure hunter who loves jewels. The president hired Rouge to uncover information about the mysterious project "Shadow." This fearless female bat is full of sex appeal and knows how to get what she wants. Although she looks innocent and carefree, she's always scheming. Once she makes a decision, her motives are always mercenary in nature."
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. "Bat Cracker: Rouge's ground trap. Sets bat-shaped mines guided by simple AI to hover over enemies' heads."
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. "Air B. Cracker: Rouge's air trap. Sets bat-shaped mines guided by simple AI to hover over enemies' heads."
- Black, Fletcher (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog: Official Game Guide. Prima Games. p. 7. ISBN 978-0761555100. "However, there have been rumors that she has feelings for both Shadow The Hedgehog and Knuckles The Echidna. That’s a love triangle that could really put off some sparks."
- Sonic Team (7 November 2017). Sonic Forces. Nintendo Switch. Sega. Area/Level: Chemical Plant. "Shadow: Rouge, have you found the intel I was looking for? / Rouge: No, not yet. But I have reports that Eggman's database is located at the Chemical Plant. If we can check that out, we might find something there."