The Roller Recoilers resemble giant eyeballs with appendages. Their purple eye has a slit-like pupil and green sclera, and has a thin grey and dark red leg connected on each side by a disk-shaped joint. On the bottom of their eye, they have several layers of dark red plating which can slide over their eye for protection.
The Roller Recoilers were made by Lyric the Last Ancient about a millennium ago to aid with his plans to destroy the earth's lifeforms and conquer it. When Lyric was imprisoned before achieving his goal, the Roller Recoilers were shut down. However, Lyric left some of them behind to be found as a contingency plan so the finders would set him free to learn the Roller Recoilers' secrets. Following Lyric's release in the present, he reactivated and/or reclaimed his Roller Recoilers to have them aid his schemes and battle Team Sonic.
By comparison, the Roller Recoilers are not very common enemies, only appearing in a few levels. The player meets them in Lyric's Weapon Facility, Cliff's Excavation Site, The Pit and Lyric's Lair. In gameplay, the Roller Recoilers can launch a stationary attack up close by shredding with their moving eyelids, which they signal by glowing yellow just before attacking. Their most potent attack, however, is their Spin Dash-like maneuver where they surround themselves in a blue aura and launch a rolling dash towards the playable character three times in a row. Should the playable character try to move away from the Roller Recoiler while it dashes however, it will adjust its direction towards its target until the last moment, so it is best to stay on the move when they launch their dash. Also, as long as they glow with their blue aura, the player can neither damage nor faze the Roller Recoilers, though using the Stomp on top of them can disable this protection and immobilize them briefly.
In terms of difficulty, the Roller Recoilers have more health than enemies like the Swordsman Troopers, but less than the Crusher Brutes, making them moderately tough opponents. When defeated, the Roller Recoilers release three Rings and a varying amount of Robot Scrap.
After Team Sonic defeated Lyric, all the Roller Recoilers were subsequently scrapped.
Basically, the Roller Recoilers are mindless and silent drones unwaveringly loyal to Lyric the Last Ancient, having been programmed to obey his every command. Their loyalty is only superficial however, as the Roller Recoilers are just soulless machines adhering to their programing, meaning their allegiance can easily shift when someone else takes control of them.
Powers and abilities
The Roller Recoilers can curl into a ball and then spin forward with a quick dash to crash through opponents, similar to the Spin Dash. They can also temporarily cloak their entire bodies in a blue force field, making them invulnerable to harm.
The Roller Bouncer is a variant of the Roller Recoilers which trades its rolling maneuver for more agility. As their name implies, they are able to bounce around as their way of attacking.
The Roller Shocker is a variant of the Roller Recoilers equipped with electrokinetic abilities, enabling them to create electrifying trails.
- The Roller Recoilers' name was not revealed in the final version of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. However, their name is listed in an unused biography for the game.
- The Roller Recoilers are very similar to the Seer enemy from Epic Mickey.
- Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved on 6 March 2015.
- SONIC BOOM. Characters: Lyric the Last Ancient. Archived from the original on 23 March 2016. Retrieved on 25 July 2014. "As seen in the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games, Lyric is the last of his kind from an ancient civilization who lived a millennium ago. His race was devoted to peacefully controlling the world’s resources. Driven mad by power, Lyric turned on his fellow Ancients and took control of the resources. Building an army of robots programmed to obey his every command, the deadly snake-like villain set out to destroy everything organic and create a world of twisted metal and robots. However, just before he could successfully take over, he was attacked by the last surviving Ancients and imprisoned forever. With his army shut down and his plans ruined, he waited in prison plotting his revenge. Years passed and Lyric began to give up hope. That is, until Sonic comes across him. Now with his army rebooted, and his plans in place, the only thing stopping Lyric from total victory is Sonic and his friends."
- Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Wii U. Sega. Area/Level: Abandoned Research Facility. "Dr. Eggman: Eggman. Dr. Eggman. But you can call me Dr. 'the guy who set you free so you can give me the secrets of your technology so I can be even more powerful than I already...' you know what? Just call me 'boss.' / Lyric: Who do you think made these robots and left them for you to find, you pathetic waste of carbon!"