"Robots From The Sky Part 4" is the eighty-first episode in the Sonic Boom television series. It first aired on 9 April 2017 in France and on 27 May 2017 in the United States.
Hypnobot teams up with Dr. Eggman to take over the world, while the entire gang is overwhelmed by hordes of hypnotized, evil robots.
- Ball Bot (multiple)
- Cubot Series
- Dr. Eggman
- Moth Bot
- Obliterator Bot
- Spider Bomb
- Team Cybonic (first appearance)
- Team Sonic
The episode begins in the lead-lined bunker within Morristown shortly after the ending of the previous episode, with Mighton telling Sonic and Tails that it was an honor to save the world alongside them, before offering them a tour around the city. Sonic, in response, says they need to return home, at which point he gets a call from Amy on his Communicator and Mighton and Bolts assume the two are in a relationship; embarrassed, Sonic decides to change his mind and tells her that he and Tails will stay in Morristown for a little longer, cutting the call off hastily.
Meanwhile, at Eggman's lair, Eggman is having Orbot and Cubot chip away at the ice surrounding the still-frozen Hypnobot; once they finish, Eggman reactivates Hypnobot by jump-starting his battery. Hypnobot, still hating all organics, attempts to have Orbot and Cubot protect him, but his hypno-ray fails to affect them. Eggman re-introduces himself and reminds Hypnobot of the time he took him over and used him for evil; Orbot hastily convinces him to change the subject to the fact that he saved Hypnobot from the frozen lake. Hypnobot expresses mild gratitude, noting that Eggman did not leave him behind like Tails; the two quickly become friends over their mutual hatred of both him and Sonic.
Later, Eggman has repaired Hypnobot and enhanced him with an unfoldable neck-mounted gun; Hypnobot proposes an alliance so the two of them can take over Morristown and destroy Sonic and Tails, which Eggman agrees to. Orbot and Cubot are overjoyed at the idea of finally going there, only to be refused the opportunity by Eggman, who wants them to check his DVR while they are gone. Hypnobot once again takes control of all robots, and they all fly to Morristown; in the Village Center, as they clean up the destruction caused by the invading robots earlier with assistance from FriendBot, Knuckles, Amy, and Sticks notice this and decide Sonic and Tails need reinforcements. FriendBot is also hypnotized and begins to fly off, at which point the trio quickly grabs on and rides him to Morristown.
Back in Morristown, Sonic and Tails are being shown around the city by Mighton and Bolts when the robots arrive, with Mega Bot punching through Morristown's glass dome to allow them, an Eggmobile-piloting Eggman, and Hypnobot entry. Sonic is still confident that the four of them can easily defeat the army, until Cowbot arrives with reinforcements. However, at that time, FriendBot also arrives with Knuckles, Amy, and Sticks in tow; reunited, Team Sonic, with the continued aid of Mighton and Bolts, manages to hold off the robot horde until Hypnobot turns the battle in the villains' favor by infecting the Morristown citizens again, as well as Mighton. Realizing that the odds are against them, Sonic orders Tails to get the others and fall back before he picks up Bolts and runs away from Hypnobot's signal, with Bolts pointing him to the entrance of the lead-lined bunker; meanwhile, the rest of Team Sonic hides from the robots chasing them. Sonic alerts them to the entrance, and they all slide down into the bunker.
Team Sonic and Bolts discuss how horrible the situation has gotten inside, with Bolts stating that even if he could reprogram the other robots, they would just be re-infected the moment they left the bunker. Tails reminds him that Hypnobot has no effect on organic beings, but the five of them are not enough to handle the threat. This gives Bolts the idea to make more of them by collecting the team's DNA to create cyborg copies of them, with Tails adding that if their brains are made of organic matter, they will not be able to be hypnotized. Sticks, however, highly objects to the idea of them using her DNA to create a cyborg duplicate of herself until Amy convinces her that the robo-apocalypse will win if she refuses to allow it. There is a short montage of Tails and Bolts working on the project, and eventually, Bolts introduces Team Sonic to Team Cybonic, their cyborg duplicates; Sticks, while saying she is still not trusting of the idea, almost immediately comes to respect her cyborg double's spunk after the latter agrees with her.
Outside the bunker, Eggman and a portion of the hypnotized robot army have gathered, with Eggman ordering them to fire the minute Team Sonic exits; Team Cybonic exits instead, and the robots are easily destroyed as everyone makes their way outside. Hypnobot attempts to hypnotize the cyborgs, only for Cyborg Sonic to inform him that his power has no effect on them before he tells the others to make the robot a priority target; they have to destroy most of the robot army to get to him, however, but each member of Team Sonic, working together with their cyborg counterpart, accomplishes this task with ease (and Sticks even begins to like her cyborg double).
With only Hypnobot left to deal with, Sonic attempts to run over to him, but is stopped by a rocket punch from the still-hypnotized Mighton, which exacerbates his earlier leg injury and prevents him from moving. Taking advantage, Hypnobot orders Mighton to finish him with another rocket punch, prompting a concerned Tails to rush to Hypnobot before the punch lands as the others prevent the remaining robots and Hypnobot's gun from stopping him. He manages to reach Hypnobot and, putting his inability to harm his own creation aside, bashes Hypnobot's hypno-ray off with his wrench, which takes him offline and allows the now-unhypnotized Mighton to recall his fist just before it hits Sonic; the heroes celebrate their victory, and Eggman makes a hasty retreat with his remaining robots.
In the aftermath, Team Cybonic decides to stay in Morristown in case the city runs into trouble again (with Cyborg Sticks adding that if they went down to the planet with Team Sonic, they would just get corrupted somehow and take over), and after Sonic explains that Team Sonic will be there any time Morristown needs help, Mighton and Bolts reveal they took everyone's advice and renamed the city "Roboken", which they agree is a better name. With their business in Roboken finished for now, Team Sonic boards one of the city's ships as the robots (FriendBot and the Cubot prototypes among them) wave goodbye, and Tails pilots it, flying everyone back down to Seaside Island as Knuckles enjoys the vibration function in his chair.
- This episode's narrative concludes that of the previous three episodes.
- Eggman reminds Hypnobot that he once took him over and used him for evil, which happened in "Robot Battle Royale".
- Team Cybonic is created. This group would return in future episodes.
- The shade of Cubot's yellow color scheme differs between his body and gloves.
- When Obliterator Bot rides the Mega to Roboken, it is much smaller than normal.
The concept for the "Robots From The Sky" story arc (sentient robots coming from a floating island in the sky) was formulated by Bill Freiberger. The story arc itself came out of a desire to tell a longer story and "get extra mileage out of production concerns like new characters and locations." The record draft for this episode was made on 19 December 2015.
As a continuation of the New Jersey jokes featured over the course of the "Robots From The Sky" arc, Morristown was renamed "Roboken" (which is a reference to Hoboken, New Jersey) in this episode.
Originally, the scene in "Robots From The Sky Part 3" where Bolts patches up Sonic with duct tape was written as the first scene of this episode during production. However, it ended up as a part of "Robots From The Sky Part 3" for unknown reasons. Metal Sonic was also omitted from the episode despite his popularity because the writers did not think it would serve the character well enough to have him do a small cameo in an episode filled with enemies.
Title in other languages
|French||Les robots venus du ciel – partie 4||Robots from the Sky – Part 4|
|Italian||Piovono robot - parte 4||Rain robots - Part 4|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Robôs do céu - Parte 4||Robots from the sky - Part 4|
|Polish||Roboty z nieba, część czwarta||Robots from the sky, part four|
|Spanish (Latin America)||Robots del cielo, parte 4||Robots from the sky, part 4|
|Ukrainian||Роботи з неба, частина четверта||Robots from the sky, part four|
- Nine days before this episode aired on Boomerang, Bill Freiberger released the title card for this episode on Twitter as a teaser.
- This is the first episode where Burnbot ends up disassembled during a battle.
- Hypnobot's "fleshy" remark is the same insult used on the Warren the Ape television show (another show that Alan Denton and Bill Freiberger used to work on),
- Eggman's line "Did we just become besties?" is a homage to the quote from the 2008 American comedy film Step Brothers.
- Knuckles' remark about him skipping leg day is a nod to the similar internet meme.
- Tails' approach to destroying Hypnobot's hypno-ray is a reference to the 2000 film Chicken Run.
- Cartoon Network May 2017 Premiere Info (English). toonzone.net. Retrieved on 3 May 2017.
- Tous les Programmes (French). Canal J. Archived from the original on 8 June 2017. Retrieved on 28 March 2017.
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (25 May 2017). Retrieved on 25 May 2017. “Bill Freiberger: 224: Hypnobot teams up with Dr. Eggman to take over the world, while the entire gang is overwhelmed by hordes of hypnotized, evil robots.”
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (7 May 2017). Retrieved on 8 May 2017. “Alan Denton: The concept of this story arc, with sentient robots coming from a floating island in the sky? That was all Bill Freiberger. 4/”
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (27 May 2017). Retrieved on 30 May 2017. “Menno: what prompted you to do a 4-parter? Was it something that you guys already wanted in SonicBoom season 1? / Alan Denton: The desire to tell a longer story and also get extra mileage out of production concerns like new characters and locations.”
- Mike Pollock on Twitter. Twitter (21 May 2017). Retrieved on 27 May 2017.
- Mike Pollock on Twitter. Twitter (27 May 2017). Retrieved on 30 May 2017. “Mike Pollock: Roboken, like Morristown, is a New Jersey Joke.”
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (27 May 2017). Retrieved on 31 May 2017. “Alan Denton: Yes! Morristown's new name is "Roboken" STILL a New Jersey reference (Hoboken), but now with a Robo pun. Everybody wins.”
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (27 May 2017). Retrieved on 31 May 2017. “Alan Denton: Fun fact: the scene where Bolts patches up Sonic w/ duct tape in part 3 was originally written as the 1st scene of part 4.”
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (28 May 2017). Retrieved on 31 May 2017. “Alan Denton: We felt it wouldn't serve the character well enough to just have him do a small cameo in an otherwise-loaded-with-enemies episode.”
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (18 May 2017). Retrieved on 18 May 2017. “Bill Freiberger: A #sonicboom preview for next Saturday: Ep. 224, The conclusion of "Robots From The Sky'. Written by @AlanTheWriter, @ItsGregHahn, and me.”
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (27 May 2017). Retrieved on 31 May 2017. “Alan Denton: "Fleshy" was also an insult against humans on the other show @billfreiberger and I worked on: MTV's Warren the Ape”
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (27 May 2017). Retrieved on 31 May 2017. “Alan Denton: "Did we just become besties" is a bit of a Step Brothers homage right there.”
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (27 May 2017). Retrieved on 31 May 2017. “Alan Denton: That's it. Leg day is canon. You're welcome, Internet.”