"Robots From The Sky Part 1" is the seventy-eighth episode in the Sonic Boom television series. It first aired on 9 April 2017 in France and on 6 May 2017 in the United States.
Mighton and Bolts, two robots from a city in the clouds, think Sonic and the gang are villains because they destroy robots.
- Ball Bot (multiple)
- Bolts (first appearance)
- Cubot Series
- Dave the Intern
- Dr. Eggman
- Fire Bot
- Leroy the Turtle
- Mighton (first appearance)
- Old Monkey
- T.W. Barker
- Team Sonic
- Sonic Boom World
Team Sonic is in the Village Center washing cars for a charity car wash to raise funds for a new daycare center when Eggman arrives in the Eggmobile, accusing them of stealing from his change cup. Close by, a ship careens out of control; Sonic notices it crash and attempts to inform Eggman, but the supervillain is too focused on getting retribution to care, ordering his robots to attack and forcing Team Sonic into action. At the crash site, two robots, Mighton and Bolts, emerge from the smoking wreckage, none the worse for wear, and hear the sounds of the battle, quickly running behind some bushes to observe Team Sonic effortlessly destroying Eggman's robot minions.
Mighton is outraged over this, believing Team Sonic to be "carbon-based lunatics" that are destroying their robot brethren; despite Bolts' attempts to stop him from doing something hasty, the two are eventually forced to intervene when Sonic speaks up about his enjoyment of smashing Eggman's robots. They and Team Sonic have a short battle, which ends when Bolts ties Team Sonic up with an extendable arm and detaches it, regrowing the arm soon after. Eggman celebrates his victory and leaves with Mighton and Bolts; Sonic manages to break himself and the others out of the grip of Bolts' arm with a spin attack. Tails observes the arm, believing the robots to be too advanced for Eggman to make. Sticks believes this to be a sign of the arrival of the robo-apocalypse, despite her friends' unenthused reactions; Tails decides they should investigate further before jumping to conclusions.
At his lair, Eggman (after realizing that he fought Team Sonic over nothing because he took change from the change cup earlier rather than them stealing) explains to Mighton and Bolts that Team Sonic is always destroying his robots; Mighton picks up on Eggman's possessive terming, and Eggman makes up an excuse that he sees the robots as his children before hastily changing the subject to the duo's place of origin. Mighton and Bolts come from Morristown, a city in the clouds populated entirely by sentient robots who respect one another (and Orbot and Cubot, seeing the name "Morristown" as plain for such a city, suggest better names); Eggman, seeing that the city has no overlord, realizes that it would be perfect for him to take over. Meanwhile, in the forest, Team Sonic heads to the crash site of Mighton and Bolts' ship, discussing what to do about them; Amy wishes for a peaceful resolution, while Sticks plots to take advantage of said resolution to hit them with a brick. Sonic and Tails enter the ship, with Tails scanning around; he discovers that they came from somewhere in the sky, according to the GPS (which only convinces Sticks that they are also aliens and gives her more reason to look forward to blindsiding them).
Back at Eggman's lair, Eggman proposes a toast and orders Orbot and Cubot to bring them all refreshments; however, they bring back apple juice instead of apple cider, at which point Eggman insults them and pours the juice on their heads. Observing this, Mighton and Bolts realize Eggman is more of a foe to robots than a friend and turn to leave, inviting Orbot and Cubot to come with them as they do; almost immediately after, Eggman activates magnets in the ceiling that keep them in place. Meanwhile, at Tails' Workshop, Team Sonic is going over what they found out about their robot attackers when Orbot and Cubot show up; the two reveal that Eggman is holding Mighton and Bolts hostage and ask for their help in saving them. Despite the rest of the group's reluctance to trust them, Tails wants to go anyway so he can meet the people who made the ship.
Returning to Eggman's lair, Eggman demands that Mighton and Bolts tell him the location of Morristown and is about to electrocute the information out of them when Team Sonic arrives in typical fashion by knocking the door down, at which point Eggman again orders his minions to attack. As the battle rages (and Orbot and Cubot return, with Orbot feigning surprise at the attack and Cubot nearly giving away their tattling when he attempts to "remind" him), Tails turns off the magnets and thus frees Mighton and Bolts (thanks to Eggman's weak password protection). They, along with Team Sonic, quickly dispatch the remainder of Eggman's minions. Afterwards, Bolts turns a magnet back on, attracting Eggman's wrist controller, and then comically electrocutes the evil scientist. As everyone else takes their leave, Bolts again extends an invitation to Orbot and Cubot, but as they tend to the injured Eggman, they decline, with Orbot saying they are needed here.
At Tails' Workshop, Tails and Bolts fix the ship, which is loaded with malware, while Mighton apologizes to Sonic for them mistaking Team Sonic as villains; after another suggestion session about a better name for Morristown, Mighton says goodbye, happy the two parties could make peace (at which point Sticks attempts to hit him with a brick until Sonic silently stops her). The two take off for Morristown as Team Sonic waves them off (except a disgruntled Sticks). Soon after, however, they notice mysterious red-eyed figures hiding in the bushes around them who suddenly start firing lasers. While, at first, they manage to avoid the lasers, Tails is soon shot down by one; as the episode fades to black, his friends quickly surround him, worriedly shouting his name.
- This episode's narrative continues into "Robots From The Sky Part 2".
- Team Sonic recalls Sticks' past claims about the incoming robo-apocalypse, like in "Can an Evil Genius Crash on Your Couch for a Few Days?", "Translate This", and "Cabin Fever".
- Knuckles mentions that Hedgehog Village used to be named "Unnamed Village" until recently, referring to the events of "Unnamed Episode".
- When Team Sonic invades Dr. Eggman's Lair, the main entrance can be seen in the hallway that leads into the lair's living room. This has not been presented consistently in previous episodes.
- Furthermore, during the fight in Eggman's lair, the main entrance is in some scenes replaced with a longer hallway.
The concept for the "Robots From The Sky" story arc (sentient robots coming from a floating island in the sky) was formulated by Bill Freiberger. The story arc itself came out of a desire to tell a longer story and "get extra mileage out of production concerns like new characters and locations."
Many names for Morristown were brainstormed during the development of this episode. The writers initially tried to come up with a cool name, but they eventually decided it would be funnier to give an alien city a regular-sounding name. "Morristown" ended up being chosen because the episode's writers Alan Denton and Greg Hahn come from New Jersey, which has its own Morristown an hour away from where Denton and Hahn grew up. The writers' other name suggestions were used as the name ideas for Morristown that the characters would come up with in this episode.
Title in other languages
|French||Les robots venus du ciel - partie 1||Robots from the Sky - Part 1|
|Italian||Piovono robot - parte 1||Rain robots - Part 1|
|Polish||Roboty z nieba, część pierwsza||Robots from the sky, part one|
|Portuguese (Brazil)||Robôs do céu - Parte 1||Robots from the sky - Part 1|
|Portuguese (Portugal)||Robôs Caídos do Céu: Parte 1||Robots Fallen from the Sky: Parte 1|
|Spanish (Latin America)||Robots del cielo - parte 1||Robots from the sky - Part 1|
|Ukrainian||Роботи з неба, частина перша||Robots from the sky, part one|
- Before this episode aired on Boomerang, Bill Freiberger, as a response to the episode's first reveal on the French networks, released the title card for this episode on Twitter as a teaser. Freiberger did the same thing again eight days before the episode's official airing on Boomerang.
- Alan Denton, one of the writers for "Robots From The Sky Part 1", can normally not sleep the night before the airing of a Sonic Boom episode. For this episode, he could not sleep the night before its recording session due to the pressure from making a four-parter episode.
- This is the first multi-part episode in the Sonic Boom television series.
- After Mighton tells Orbot and Cubot the name of the city he and Bolts are from, Orbot asks why a better name was not chosen for the city. He and Cubot then make suggestions and the name that Cubot suggests is "Sky Sanctuary", which was a Zone in the game Sonic & Knuckles.
- Knuckles breaks the fourth wall at the end of the episode after the screen goes black by saying, "Aw man! A cliffhanger? I hate those."
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (29 October 2016). Archived from the original on 11 May 2021. Retrieved on 29 October 2016. "Tailooey Fan: Jack Fletcher is still the dubbing director and Natalys Raut-Sieuzac is still the director in Season? / Bill Freiberger: Jack Fletcher is the voice director. Natalys Raut-Sieuzac is the director. / Tailooey Fan: In season two too? / Bill Freiberger: Yes, Jack Fletcher is the voice director and Natalys Raut-Sieuzac is the director in season 2 of #sonicboom."
- Sonic Boom: Robots From The Sky. Zap2it.com. Retrieved on 28 April 2017.
- Tous les Programmes (French). Canal J. Archived from the original on 8 June 2017. Retrieved on 28 March 2017.
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (3 May 2017). Retrieved on 3 May 2017. "Bill Freiberger: 221: Mighton and Bolts, two robots from a city in the clouds, think Sonic and the gang are villains because they destroy robots."
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (7 May 2017). Retrieved on 8 May 2017. "Alan Denton: The concept of this story arc, with sentient robots coming from a floating island in the sky? That was all Bill Freiberger. 4/"
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (27 May 2017). Retrieved on 30 May 2017. "Menno: what prompted you to do a 4-parter? Was it something that you guys already wanted in SonicBoom season 1? / Alan Denton: The desire to tell a longer story and also get extra mileage out of production concerns like new characters and locations."
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (7 May 2017). Retrieved on 8 May 2017. "Alan Denton: The rusted day care center's inspired by the child care center of Red Oak II in Carthage, Missouri (1 of my fav places in the world btw) 5/"
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (7 May 2017). Retrieved on 8 May 2017. "Alan Denton: RE: "Morristown," the other cooler names were actual ideas we brainstormed. But thought, "What if it's something totally normal instead?" 6/"
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (6 May 2017). Retrieved on 7 May 2017. "SonicBoomFangirl: Psst hey @AlanTheWriter @ItsGregHahn I actually live in a place called Morristown NJ!! That's my reference! / Alan Denton: Yes!! That one was for the Jersey folks like us.."
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (7 May 2017). Retrieved on 8 May 2017. "Alan Denton: We picked that specific name bc @ItsGregHahn & I are from New Jersey, which has its own Morristown an hour away from where we grew up 7/"
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (29 March 2017). Retrieved on 29 March 2017. "Bill Freiberger: This is a little ahead of schedule, but why not?"
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (28 April 2017). Retrieved on 28 April 2017. "Bill Freiberger: A #sonicboom preview for next Saturday on Boomerang: 221 "Robots From The Sky' Part 1. Written by @AlanTheWriter, @ItsGregHahn, and me."
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (7 May 2017). Retrieved on 8 May 2017. "Alan Denton: To start, many know I can't sleep the night before 1 of our episodes airs. For this, I couldn't sleep the night before the RECORD SESSION 2/"
- Alan Denton on Twitter. Twitter (7 May 2017). Retrieved on 8 May 2017. "Alan Denton: This one just felt a lot... bigger, you know? I mean, a 4-parter! That's a lot of pressure. 3/"