Roboticization is a subject that appears in Sonic Underground. It is the process by which an organic creature is converted into a robotic being. This is accomplished by a Roboticizer; the reversal of the process is simply called deroboticization.
Physically speaking, the process of roboticization converts living tissue into machinery: body parts are transformed into mechanical equivalents, although minor alterations may occur, like legs being replaced with wheels. Due to the transformation, roboticized subjects typically possess increased strength and other abilities. In most cases, roboticization is only carried out on some parts of the body, making the subjects resemble cyborgs, although there are exceptions where the body will be fully converted. The effects of roboticization are generally believed to be irreversible and no methods of deroboticization has ever surfaced.
Roboticized subjects typically lose their free will as a result of roboticization, becoming almost mindless automatons. While the subjects' memories of their former self remain, they are stored separately from their post-roboticized self and cannot be accessed. However, there have been cases in which roboticized subjects' mental capabilities were restored while the bodies remained robotic. This can be done with the combined energies of the Sonic Underground's Medallions, although this effect is only temporarily and spends all of the Medallions' energies. Ifyoucan managed to retain his free will during the roboticization process due to a malfunction, but nevertheless has been biologically mechanized.
Using the roboticization procedure on already mechanical beings will yield adverse effects, as the roboticization process will "overload [their] system".
Interestingly, roboticized subjects still speak in robotic voices even when their mouth remains organic.
The origin of the roboticization procedure is unknown. Following Dr. Robotnik's takeover of Mobius, the doctor used roboticization on countless lower-class residents of Mobius, creating a personal force of slaves for himself, while the aristocrats were left generally untouched to preserve Robotnik's source of income.
List of known roboticization subjects
- Lady Windermere
- Raphi Hajani (partially)
- The Roboticization process is based on the Sonic the Hedgehog video game series' concept of roboticization, where an Animal is forcibly stored inside a robot shell and is used as its respective power supply. Unlike the extremely difficult process of de-roboticizing in the television series, the restoration process for Animals in the games is done by merely breaking open the robot to free its captive within.
- In "No Hedgehog is an Island", Robotnik ordered Sleet to be roboticized twice as punishment for stealing the Chaos Emerald.
- Hurst, Ben; Allee, Pat (13 October 1999). "Healer". Sonic Underground. Season 1. Episode 33. First-run syndication.
- Booth, Doug (31 August 1999). "To Catch a Queen". Sonic Underground. Season 1. Episode 2. First-run syndication.
- Smith, Tom; Edens, Mark (17 March 1999). "Dunes Day". Sonic Underground. Season 1. Episode 21. First-run syndication.
- Edens, Mark (7 October 1999). "New Echidna in Town". Sonic Underground. Season 1. Episode 29. First-run syndication.
- Hurst, Ben; Allee, Pat (30 August 1999). "Beginnings". Sonic Underground. Season 1. Episode 26. First-run syndication.