"Robot Battle Royale" is the forty-fifth episode in the Sonic Boom television series. It first aired on 31 August 2015 in France and on 26 September 2015 in the United States.
In order to prove that he is an inventor like Tails, Knuckles challenges Tails to enter the local robot battle; little do they know Eggman has also entered the contest.
- Beaver Policeman
- Child Monkey
- Comedy Chimp
- DangerCo Deadly Equipment Warehouse Worker
- Dave the Intern
- Diane Aardvark
- Dr. Eggman
- Eggman Sr. (mentioned)
- Fancy Gentleman
- Fastidious Beaver
- Fennec Garbage Man
- Gentleman Wolf
- Hypnobot (first appearance)
- Lady Goat
- Lady Walrus
- Leroy the Turtle
- Mayor Fink
- Mike the Ox
- Mrs. Vandersnout
- Old Monkey
- Professor Cluckins
- Soar the Eagle
- T.W. Barker
- Team Sonic
- Vacuu-Fan 2000 (first appearance)
- Walrus Male
- Wild Cat
- Willy Walrus
- Zippie (mentioned)
Races and species:
- Sonic Boom World
- Amy's Hammer
- Chili dog
- Meh Burger
- Super Antenna (first appearance)
- Tails' Deforestation Machine
- Wrist controller
At the beginning of the episode, Sonic, Knuckles, Amy and Sticks are watching TV at Amy's House when Tails shows up and introduces his new invention: a Super Antenna that can broadcast programs from the past. He uses it to broadcast an old radio program, and the others are fascinated by it until they learn that it will take the SUper Antenna about eighty years to pick up a broadcast from the team's childhood. Then, Knuckles takes the antenna and uses it as a back scratcher. As Sonic praises Knuckles for being an inventor, Knuckles feels proud that he invented something new. Later on, Tails is in his workshop when Knuckles comes in and uses a staff to turn the lights on and off. Knuckles looks for new things to invent, but he points at a turkey sandwich and talks about things that already exist.
The team is then eating at Meh Burger when Knuckles arrives with a flyer for Robot Battle Royale, a competition where robots fight each other in no-holds-barred matches. Tails declines to participate at first, and Knuckles burns him by calling Tails "chicken". Knuckles continues to call Tails names, and the rest of the team goes crazy. Finally, Tails accepts Knuckles' offer to put him in his place. The scene shifts to the competition site where Mayor Fink is analyzing the players' robots. Among them is Tails' robot Hypnobot which can take control of any robot within a certain area and Knuckles' shoddily-made Vacuu-Fan 2000. Dr. Eggman then arrives with his own robot (a scaled down version of Obliterator Bot), and enters the competition. The key to the robots' override codes are then placed in a cannonball and shot into the ocean so nobody cheats (though the mayor admits the key actually had nothing to do with the competition). Robot Battle Royale then starts, with eight inventors competing in a single-elimination tournament. Knuckles' Vacuu-Fan 2000 gets defeated in the first round, while Tails and Eggman advance to the finals. As the final match commences, Tails' robot starts malfunctioning, and Eggman reveals that he got the override codes, the reason why being that Eggman Industries made the lockbox. Eggman wins the match, much to everyone's disappointment, and then proceeds to go to Tails' Workshop in his Eggmobile, planning to use Hypnobot to take control of Tails' other inventions for a new army.
Back at the workshop, Team Sonic hides behind some crates, and then Knuckles and Tails come up with a plan. Tails gets inside the Vacuu-Fan 2000 because of it having no override codes or A.I. to hypnotize, planning to sneak up to Hypnobot so he can reverse Eggman's control over it. Amy tries to attack the robot, mistakenly believing it is hypnotized, but she gets pushed aside by Knuckles. While Eggman gloats, Tails is able to reverse the controls. Hypnobot hypnotizes Eggman's robots, allowing Tails to order it to make them and Tails' hypnotized inventions dance; unable to watch his plan falling apart, Eggman leaves in shame. Tails thanks Knuckles for his hard work, who announces his retirement as an inventor. Sonic then remarks that with Tails' Hypnobot in tow, Eggman's robots will no longer be an issue. However, Hypnobot disappears in an explosion after one of the other robots from the competition appears and attacks it.
- Some of the machines invented by Tails' in earlier episodes make an reappearance:
- Hypnobot is created for the Robot Battle Royale and sent into space at the end of the episode. This chain of events would lead to his return as a villain in "Robots From The Sky Part 3".
- In the scenes where Knuckles talks with Tails about collaborating with him in their inventor pursuits, Tails is facing the stairs in his workshop. However, when Tails is saying "I doubt it", he has his back turned at the stairs.
- Mayor Fink refers to Tails as "Tail".
- Eggman's line "You sentimental son of a gun." was cut off in the UK.
Title in other languages
|Finnish||Mahtava Bottitaisto||Awesome bot showdown|
|French||Robot contre Robot||Robot vs. Robot|
|German||Roboterschlacht Royal||Robot Battle Royale|
|Italian||La battaglia dei robot||The battle of robots|
|Korean||로봇 배틀||Robot Battle|
|Persian||جنگ رباتیک||Robotic warfare|
|Polish||Bitwy robotów||Robots Battles|
|Portuguese (Brazil)||A Batalha dos Inventores||The Battle of Inventors|
|Portuguese (Portugal)||Grande Combate de Robôs||Great Robot Combat|
|Romanian||Bătălia roboților||Robot battle|
|Russian||Битва роботов||Robots Battle|
|Spanish (Latin America)||Batalla de Robots Real||Royale Robot Battle|
|Spanish (Spain)||Batalla de Robots||Battle of Robots|
|Ukrainian||Королівська битва роботів||Royal Battle of Robots|
- The song that the robots dance to at the end of the episode is based off "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls.
- This episode aired in France as the forty-sixth episode in the series.
- Eggman calling Knuckles "Nerpels" may be a reference to the internet meme; "Nipples the Enchilada".
- Concept artwork for this episode appeared in Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice.
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (18 March 2016). Archived from the original on 11 May 2021. Retrieved on 18 March 2016. "Alexander Soerensen: Has Natalys Raut-Sieuzac directed every Sonic Boom episode? / Bill Freiberger: Yes she has."
- Sonic Boom: Robot Battle Royale. Zap2it.com. Retrieved on 4 September 2015.
- Cartoon Network - Schedule (2015/11/24). Retrieved on 12 March 2017.