The Ring Thief is an enemy that appears in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. It is a mass-produced model of Destruction Troops created by Lyric the Last Ancient. As their name implies, they can steal Rings from their foes.
The Ring Thieves' body consists of a single grey eye with a slit-like pupil and yellow sclera. This eye is covered in brown-armored eyelids with three small yellow-lined cylinders on top. On each side of their body, the Ring Thieves have a brown rotary engine.
Created about a millennium ago, the Ring Thieves were made by Lyric the Last Ancient to aid with his plans to destroy the earth's lifeforms and conquer it. After Lyric got imprisoned before completing his plan, the Ring Thieves were shut down. As a contingency plan however, Lyric left some of them behind to be found so the finders would set him free to learn the Ring Thieves' secrets. Following Lyric's release in present-day, he reactivated and/or reclaimed his Ring Thieves to have them aid his schemes and battle Team Sonic.
The Ring Thieves are far from frequent enemies and only appear in the latter half of the game. The player encounters them in Ocean Purification Plant, Creeper Gorge and Lyric's Lair. In gameplay, the Ring Thieves constantly stay several meters away from the characters, and when the characters approach, they move an equal distance away. Instead of attacking, they fly by whenever loose Rings appear, including those in the environment and those dropped by the player, and suck them up to keep them from the player. To defeat the Ring Thieves, the player has to reel them in with the Enerbeam and keep attacking them until they are destroyed. However, they will fly away after being released if the player is not fast enough.
By comparison, the Ring Thieves have little health. Also, when defeated, they do not only release some Rings and Robot Scrap of their own, but also all the Rings they have stolen, which are then automatically given to the player.
After Team Sonic defeated Lyric, all the Ring Thieves were subsequently scrapped.
The Ring Thieves are overall mindless and silent drones unwaveringly loyal to Lyric the Last Ancient, having been programmed to obey his every command. Their loyalty is only superficial however, as the Ring Thieves are just soulless machines adhering to their programing, meaning their allegiance can easily shift when someone else takes control of them.
Powers and abilities
The Ring Thieves are extremely speedy fliers which can fly circles around their foes. Their signature skill however, is their ability to attract and store nearby Rings.
- The Ring Thieves' name was not revealed in the final version of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. However, their name is listed in an unused biography for the game.
- The Ring Thieves' eyeball always looks in the direction of the player.
- Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved on 6 March 2015.
- SONIC BOOM. Characters: Lyric the Last Ancient. Archived from the original on 23 March 2016. Retrieved on 25 July 2014. “As seen in the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games, Lyric is the last of his kind from an ancient civilization who lived a millennium ago. His race was devoted to peacefully controlling the world’s resources. Driven mad by power, Lyric turned on his fellow Ancients and took control of the resources. Building an army of robots programmed to obey his every command, the deadly snake-like villain set out to destroy everything organic and create a world of twisted metal and robots. However, just before he could successfully take over, he was attacked by the last surviving Ancients and imprisoned forever. With his army shut down and his plans ruined, he waited in prison plotting his revenge. Years passed and Lyric began to give up hope. That is, until Sonic comes across him. Now with his army rebooted, and his plans in place, the only thing stopping Lyric from total victory is Sonic and his friends.”
- Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Nintendo Wii U. Sega. Area/Level: Abandoned Research Facility. "Dr. Eggman: Eggman. Dr. Eggman. But you can call me Dr. 'the guy who set you free so you can give me the secrets of your technology so I can be even more powerful than I already...' you know what? Just call me 'boss.' / Lyric: Who do you think made these robots and left them for you to find, you pathetic waste of carbon!"