The Ring Power is a force that appears in Knuckles' Chaotix. It is a power that links two Rings together like a rubber band, thereby tying the Ring-wielders together. It serves as the main gimmick in the game.
The Ring Power is described as the "power that sparks between the Rings," and is presented as two Rings permanently linked together by Ring energy resembling a line of sparkles. This link has the same properties as an actual rubber band, allows the pair of Rings to be stretched apart a certain distance by applying force to them and snap back once relenting. This essentially lets two partners holding the Rings to be tied together like a magical rubber band.
The Ring Power serves as the main gameplay mechanic in Knuckles' Chaotix and creates a sort of snap-dash mechanic. The two playable characters chosen for a stage will be permanently connected by the Ring Power by holding a Ring each, which keeps them close at any time: get too far apart, be it on ground or in mid-air, and the characters will snap back into close proximity; in mid-air, this bond can be used to create an upward momentum. In the 1-player game of Knuckles' Chaotix, the Ring Power will make the player's chosen partner follow them in their wake anywhere, while in 2-player it will tie the two players together at all times, while neither player acts as the main force to move the game forward.
Besides tying the characters together, the Ring Power's rubber band-properties can be exploited to perform additional moves and techniques in gameplay:
1- and 2-Player Games
- Call your Partner: Should the player and their partner get separated, the player can press to call the partner to their location by having them snap there. Using this trick however costs ten Rings each time.
- Throw your partner: The player moves their character over to their partner and presses to pick the partner up. The player can then throw the partner by pressing again and control the direction of the throw with . The partner will after the throw then snap back. The player can also throw the partner while jumping by pressing during a jump while holding the player. The player can use this technique with the Snap Up to reach ledges above.
- Snap Up: It the player's partner has climbed to a ledge above them while the player's character is hanging below, the player can press down on to charge the link between the Rings. When the link is charged to full power (the link turns red), the player can release to snap up onto the ledge. In the chase where the player's character is on the ledge and the partner is hanging below, the player can press to charge the link and then release it to snap the partner up onto the ledge.
- Forward Snap: By pressing and holding , the player's partner will freeze in place. The player must then press left/right on to run in that direction and charge the link between the Rings, though the player will inevitably become stationary due to the Ring Power. When the link is charge to full power (the link turns red), release to snap the partner forward.
- In 2-player game, the players must coordinate their movements by having one remain stationary while the other runs to stretch the Ring Power for Forward Snap.
- Reverse Snap: By pressing and holding , the player's partner will freeze in place. The player must then press left/right on to run in that direction and charge the link between the Rings, though the player will inevitably become stationary due to the Ring Power. When the link is charge to full power (the link turns red), release to have the partner snap the player's character in the opposite direction. Just as the playable character passes the partner, release . This is a good move for gaining a boost of speed.
- In 2-player game, the players must coordinate their movements by having one remain stationary while the other runs to stretch the Ring Power for Reserve Snap.
In other media
Sonic the Comic
The Sling Rings first appeared in Knuckles' Chaotix where they were used by the Chaotix to take on Metal Sonic v2.0. They later reappeared in Sonic Universe #63 where they were used by the Chaotix to follow Knuckles through the Pumpkin Hill Zone in mid-air.
- Despite the Ring Power connecting the Rings by energy in-game, the western cover artwork of Knuckles' Chaotix depects the Rings as being bound together by a rubber band.