The RhinoBot (リノボット Rinobotto?), also formatted as Rhinobot and known as the Cyclone (サイクロン Saikuron?), is an enemy that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a mass-produced, rhinoceros-based Badnik model created by Dr. Robotnik.
As their name suggests, the RhinoBots are based on real-world rhinoceros. RhinoBots are similar to Moto Bugs in terms of design, with a single wheel below their body. Their body is covered in gray armor with orange lines and small ventilation holes. RhinoBots' head reminisces of a rhinoceros, with two horns on their orange nose area, mean black eyes and metallic triangular ears.
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
In Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and the lock-on game Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, RhinoBots (リノボット Rinobotto?) appear in Angel Island Zone, where they drive around back and forth on flat terrain with linear pattern. Because of this, RhinoBots do not drop down from hillocks but rather does a hard U-turn. RhinoBots will also not fall off ledges and will turn around if they come across one.
When spotting the player, the RhinoBots will try dashing into the playable character. While they can rival the playable characters' running speed, they cannot keep up with a Spin Dash. The player can simply jump over the RhinoBots, but they will then do a U-turn and attempt attacking the character from behind. The player can simply Spin Jump, Spin Attack into RhinoBot or even load the Spin Dash to defeat it and free Animal inside of it.
In Sonic Rivals, the RhinoBot appears as a collectible card.
Powers and abilities
In other media
Books and comics
Sonic the Comic
In the Sonic the Comic series and its spin-offs published by Fleetway Editions, the RhinoBots are Badniks created by Dr. Ivo Robotnik. In this media, they are covered in grey armour and are capable of speech. During an attack on the Emerald Hill Zone, a RhinoBot gave a decent chase to Sonic before getting destroyed.
In the Sonic Adventures comic series published by Sirène, Robotnik sent numerous Badniks into a huge chase after Sonic and Tails when they escaped from his ship. When Sonic and Tails fell into a river, Robotnik deployed RhinoBots with parachutes to chase them to the edge of the river until Sonic and Tails fell down the waterfall.
A RhinoBot was included in a diorama by First 4 Figures depicting Sonic and Tails in Angel Island Zone. The diorama was available in three different editions, two of which depict the zone on fire. The Badnik appears in all editions of the statue. This is the second Badnik that has been part of a statue by the company, the first being Metal Sonic.
- There are many robots later in the series, that bear huge resemblance to RhinoBot. Many of these enemy robots include Rhinotank from Sonic Adventure and Rhinoliner from Sonic Heroes.
- The RhinoBot's Japanese name is a portmanteau of "sai" (犀?), the Japanese word for "rhinoceros", and the English word "cyclone".
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Sega Genesis) North American instruction booklet, pg. 22.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Sega Mega Drive) Japanese instruction booklet, pg. 37.
- Sonic the Comic #34, ""Sonic 3 Part 1 - The Zones"
- Backbone Entertainment (24 November 2006). Sonic Rivals. PlayStation Portable. Sega. Area/Level: Card Collection. "Collectable card #80: Rhinobot 1994."
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 card number 01. Sonic Tweet.