Retro is a humanoid with black skin, white eyes with purple sclera, and a purple-glowing mouth. He is the most diminutive in his group, being about a head shorter than Sonic. Retro possesses a rather small and narrow torso, thin arms and legs, gray hands with long fingers, two sets of pointy horn-like ears on his head, and gray two-toed feet. He also has purple-glowing pattern-stripes on his body. These include a circle on his chest, stripes on the sides on his abdomen, zigzagging lines on the borders between the black and gray skin on his wrists, belt-like lines around his waist, and a "V" on his forehead. For attire, he wears a metallic belt buckle shaped like a skull.
Stuck in cyberspace, Retro would escape into the real world with Nominatus and Beta using Tails' Build-it Box to help Nominatus infect and conquer earth. However, the machine shrunk them when they emerged, so the trio had to take a dangerous trip to the machine's controls and rescale themselves. Retro then helped Nominatus bring his army and weapons into the real world with the Build-it Box, only to come under attack by Team Sonic, Ms. Tomatopotamus, Eggman and the Badniks. The trio tried to escape as they stood to lose, but were shrunk by the Build-it Box and captured by Eggman, who kept them trapped as his pets in his lair.
Compared to Beta, Retro is much more outspoken and opinionated, and has a bit of an attitude. Nevertheless, he is still a loyal follower. Also, while somewhat smarter than Beta, Retro is still noted to be dimwitted by comparison.
Powers and abilities
Retro is one of Nominatus' personal virus minions. Like Beta, Retro stands by Nominatus and follows him faithfully despite getting nothing but insults from him instead of appreciation. Unlike Beta though, Retro does not hesitate to speak up when Nominatus is walking over him.
- Dr. Eggman
- Team Sonic
- "You ever notice how people online always look different IRL?"
- —Retro's remark after seeing himself and his gang in the real world, "Nominatus Rising"
- Retro's name may be a reference to a kind of real-life virus called a "retrovirus". "Retro" is a Latin prefix used to describe things influenced by the past, such as "retrogaming".
- Bill Freiberger on Twitter. Twitter (20 April 2017). Retrieved on 20 April 2017. "Alexander Soerensen: If I may ask, who voiced Beta and Retro in "Nominatus Rising"? / Bill Freiberger: The voice of Beta was @VOKirk and the voice of Retro was @RogerCraigSmith."
- Raut-Siezac, Natalys (15 April 2017). "Nominatus Rising". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 75. Boomerang.