Ray the Flying Squirrel (レイ・ザ・フライングスクイレル Rei za Furaingu Sukuireru?) is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is an anthropomorphic flying squirrel, and Ray the Flying Squirrel's counterpart from another dimension set in the recent past.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 History
- 3 Personality
- 4 Powers and abilities
- 5 Relationships
- 6 In other media
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 References
An anthropomorphic flying squirrel, Ray has golden yellow fur and dark tan skin on his muzzle, inner ears and front torso. He has black eyes, a small tapered hair tuft at the top back of his head (making it appear somewhat teardrop-shaped), a furry skin membrane connecting his waist to his lower arms, small, perky triangular ears, a shiny, bulbous black nose and a long club-shaped tail.
For attire, Ray wears white gloves with large cuffs and blue sneakers with white soles. Each of his shoes also has two white straps that do not reach the soles.
SegaSonic the Hedgehog
Sometime in the past, Ray and Mighty befriended Sonic the Hedgehog, whom they joined on an adventure to escape Eggman Island and take down Dr. Eggman after the doctor captured and imprisoned them.
Sonic Mania Plus
In Sonic Mania Plus, Ray got captured by Dr. Eggman and imprisoned together with who appeared to be Mighty in a capsule on Angel Island. Eventually, the Phantom Ruby showed up at their location, with Ray's old friend, Sonic arriving soon after. After Sonic freed Ray and Mighty from their capsule however, Mighty was revealed to be the Heavy Magician in disguise. The robot proceeded to take the Phantom Ruby and flee with it. Though Sonic and Ray gave chase, they were too late to stop the Heavy Magician from using the Phantom Ruby to revive the Hard Boiled Heavies who had been destroyed. The robots' resurrection also warped them all to Green Hill Zone. There, the revived Hard Boiled Heaves ran off with the Phantom Ruby. Ray subsequently teamed up with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and the real Mighty to search for the Phantom Ruby.
The group was eventually attacked by Dr. Eggman and his Death Egg Robot. Even so, they managed to defeat Eggman, causing him to fall into a hole. Following Eggman, Ray and co. saw Eggman take the Phantom Ruby from the Hard Boiled Heaves, who refused to obey him. Once Eggman obtained the ruby, Ray and his group got sent to Chemical Plant Zone by the gem's power. Not set back by their displacement, Ray and co. continued their pursuit of Eggman, occasionally clashing with the Hard Boiled Heavies and other foes along the way. Whenever they caught up to Eggman however, the doctor either gave them the slip or sent them away with the Phantom Ruby.
Eventually, Ray and co. found out that Dr. Eggman had used the power of the Phantom Ruby to make Little Planet reappear in its mechanized state again. There, Eggman and the Hard Boiled Heavies had rebuilt their base of operations: the Titanic Monarch. Eventually, the heroic group made their way to the heart of the rebuilt Titanic Monarch where they faced Eggman in his Phantom Egg mech and four of the recently re-upgraded Phantom Heavies. Despite the odds, Ray and co. managed to defeat Eggman, resulting in the Phantom Ruby creating a rift that began devouring the Titanic Monarch. Assuming their Super States with the aid of the Chaos Emeralds however, Ray and his group escaped the rift, whereas Eggman got swallowed by it. Afterward, Ray and co. closed off their adventure with a trip to an ice cream parlor, only for the Heavy King to make an appearance and surprise them with a sundae.
Sonic Mania Adventures
Arriving on Angel Island during his search for Mighty, Ray eventually came across Knuckles the Echidna and his Master Emerald. After having his friendly greeting rejected, Ray showed Knuckles Mighty's missing person poster. Before he could see Knuckles give his response however, Ray's interest fell upon the Master Emerald. When he tried to touch it though, a paranoid Knuckles grabbed Ray and threw him away.
Undeterred, Ray continued his search for Mighty. During so, he was attacked by Metal Sonic. Cornered by the robot, Ray was luckily saved by Mighty. Mighty briefly incapacitated the robot and the duo happily reunited. This was cut short as Metal Sonic took Ray hostage. He then demanded for Mighty to hand over his Chaos Emerald in exchange for letting Ray go. Having no choice, Mighty gave the Metal Sonic his Emerald. The duo then watched Metal Sonic fly away despite Mighty's attempts to stop him. With Mighty's help, Ray did some reconnaissance on Metal Sonic, whom he saw fly towards a fortress while also seeing a blue hedgehog and a two-tailed fox head in that direction. He also saw an angry Knuckles giving chase to them. Ray informed Mighty of the direction they needed to head in and the duo went after Metal Sonic.
Having arrived at Dr. Eggman's base, Ray and Mighty found a Chaos Emerald-powered Metal Sonic fighting Sonic the Hedgehog and Miles "Tails" Prower. He and Mighty joined the duo in their fight against the robot but to no avail. Tails, however, managed to trap Metal Sonic and strip him of all the Chaos Emeralds. Eggman then attempted to use the Master Emerald to empower Metal Sonic and finish the four heroes off, but both villains were stopped by Knuckles. With nothing else to do, Ray joined Sonic, Tails, and Mighty on a small picnic with chili dogs.
Ray loves adventure, and often glides to high places to get a view of the land below. Ray is also shown to be highly curious (if not scatterbrained), as seen when he forgot that he was engaging with Knuckles after the Master Emerald caught his interest.
Powers and abilities
Ray is capable of running at high speeds, like Sonic, and is also rather agile. Being a flying squirrel, he also has a prehensile tail that he is seen capitalizing as a third hand.
Ray can also perform the Spin Attack, Spin Jump, and the Spin Dash, which are techniques where he curls into a concussive ball or cutting disk and directs himself at his targets. With them, Ray can shred or burrow through just about any substance given enough speed. Being a flying squirrel, he is also able to glide on the wind using his skin flaps.
With the seven Chaos Emeralds, Ray is able to attain a Super State known as Super Ray. In this state, all of Ray's abilities far surpass his normal ones. In addition, he is virtually invulnerable. However, this transformation consumes a lot of energy and requires Rings to be maintained.
Mighty the Armadillo
Ray and Mighty are best friends and they are inseparable, even outside of their quests. When Mighty got missing, Ray badly missed his presence, so he decided to go looking for him. Ray is taken as a person quite dear to Mighty, so much so that he once surrendered a Chaos Emerald he had in his possession to Metal Sonic to save him. Ray also supports Mighty in any of his decisions and always manages to cheer him up.
- Metal Sonic
- Dr. Eggman
- Hard Boiled Heavies
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing, Ray is a resident of another dimension set in the recent past, an old ally of Sonic the Hedgehog, and the best friend of Mighty the Armadillo. In this media, his past is nearly identical to his game counterpart's, up until after the events of Sonic Mania.
- The design for Ray's shoes were based on his Archie counterpart's shoes, which were designed by Archie Comics artist/writer Aleah Baker. However, his full design is heavily inspired from his classic appearance on the regular cover of Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog #294.
- Ray is "a bit" younger than Mighty.
- In SegaSonic the Hedgehog, his shoes are red, but when he returned to the series in Sonic Mania Adventures and Sonic Mania Plus, they are blue. The color change of Ray’s shoes was likely done so that players wouldn’t mistake him for Tails.
- Sonic Mania instruction manual
- Aaron Webber. The Art of Sonic Mania. Sega. p. 6. "When Mighty and Ray last saw Sonic, they were escaping from Eggman Island. Time may have passed, but this duo are ready to prove they can take down the Doctor again!"
- Hesse, Tyson (31 May 2018). "& Knuckles". Sonic Mania Adventures. Season 1. Episode 3. YouTube.
- Hesse, Tyson (22 June 2018). "Mighty and Ray". Sonic Mania Adventures. Season 1. Episode 4. YouTube.
- Hesse, Tyson (17 July 2018). "Metal Mayhem". Sonic Mania Adventures. Season 1. Episode 5. YouTube.
- Sonic Mania Plus - Official Trailer. YouTube. Sega (25 April 2018). Retrieved on 25 April 2018.
- Sonic Mania Plus: The Art of Sonic Mania. Sega. p. 6. "Ray the Flying Squirrel is a bit younger than Mighty, but makes up for his lack of raw strength with pure enthusiasm and excitement. Ray loves adventure, and often glides to high places to get a view of the land below. He can use that same gliding technique to swoop down on unsuspecting robots!"
- Flynn, Ian (November 23, 2016). "Afterward by Ian Flynn". Sonic the Hedgehog Volume 4: Control. Archie Comic Publications, Inc.. pp. 90. ISBN 978-1-62738-955-6.
- Baker, Leah (January 24, 2013). Ray the Flying Squirrel - Jitters concept. DeviantArt. “"Concept doodle for Ray, debuting in the Sonic Universe "All For One" arc."”