Puma SE, branded as Puma, is a German multinational company that designs and manufactures athletic and casual footwear, apparel and accessories. It is the third largest sportswear manufacturer in the world, and was founded in 1948 by Rudolf Dassler. In 2018, it was announced that Puma would be collaborating with Sega to produce sneakers inspired by the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
Puma's Puma x Sega RS-0 Sonic shoes were teased in March 2018 during Sega's panel at SXSW, with a release date of June that year. The shoes were RS-0s inspired by the Sega Genesis game, having blue to represent Sonic and a grassy and checkered dseign to represent Green Hill Zone. The following May, shoes inspired by Dr. Eggman were revealed. The Puma x Sega RS-0 Eggman was inspired by the doctor's coat and his Egg Mobile. Both released on 12 June, 2018 for $130 each. A release party was held at Nice Kicks LA which featured a live performance by Crush 40 and a meet and greet with series producer Takashi Iizuka. An alternate version of the shoes were available outside of the United States; they were more simplistic, had less vibrant colours, and the most notable difference was the RS-0 Eggmans had a colour scheme of Shadow the Hedgehog.
In the first trailer for the Sonic the Hedgehog film, Sonic could be seen sporting new Puma shoes. When "Sonic" was typed into Puma's website, a new Puma x Sonic logo and a "coming soon" message appeared. At Sega's fan meeting in Japan held on 26 July 2019, artwork of Sonic the Hedgehog wearing the shoes seen in the film was on display.
A third collaboration between Puma and Sonic was announced in September 2019, comprised of apparel, accessories, footwear and the new RS-X3. The collection releases November 21, 2019. In the second trailer for the Sonic film, due to Sonic's updated design, he was sporting completely new shoes, once again made by Puma. Shortly after the release of the trailer, Puma stated that Sonic's shoes would not be made into real products. Several days later, images of various items were shown for the collection, some of which featured the artwork of Sonic seen at Sega's fan meeting in Japan.
List of products
- ↑ Adam Tuff (16 March, 2018). SEGA Announce Partnership With Puma. The Sonic Stadium. Archived from the original on 3 August, 2019. Retrieved on 3 August, 2019.
- ↑ PUMA x SEGA RS-0 SONIC. PUMA United States. Archived from the original on 3 August, 2019. Retrieved on 3 August, 2019. “The RS-0 Sonic takes inspiration from Sonic the Hedgehog and the world he protects. The upper’s textured suede represents Sonic’s fur, while the checkered outsole is inspired by the roads Sonic runs on.”
- ↑ Adam Tuff (17 May, 2018). SONIC X PUMA: Eggman-Themed Shoes Announces. The Sonic Stadium. Archived from the original on 3 August, 2019. Retrieved on 3 August, 2019.
- ↑ PUMA x SEGA RS-0 EGGMAN. PUMA United States. Archived from the original on 3 August, 2019. Retrieved on 3 August, 2019. “This kick is inspired by Dr. Eggman and his flying craft. Its pebbled leather upper is designed to resemble Dr. Eggman’s suit, while its metallic outsole and caution stripes take design cues from his scientific machinery.”
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Ian Stonebrook (8 June, 2018). SEGA X PUMA Launch Party Coming to Nice Kicks LA. Nice Kicks. Archived from the original on 3 August, 2019. Retrieved on 3 August, 2019. “The SEGA x PUMA RS-0 Pack touches down at retailers on June 12th all over the country. Those in LA though? Well, they’ve got even more to look forward to.”
- ↑ Coming Fall 2019. PUMA.com. Archived from the original on 3 August, 2019. Retrieved on 3 August, 2019.
- ↑ Sega (31 July, 2019). セガ公式アカウント on Twitter (Japanese). Twitter. Archived from the original on 3 August, 2019. Retrieved on 3 August, 2019. “ソニックのパネルはPUMAさんから。”
- ↑ PUMA and Sonic speed up again. PUMA® (30 September, 2019). Retrieved on 2019-10-10.
- ↑ PUMA on Twitter (14 November 2019). Archived from the original on 14 November 2019. Retrieved on 2019-11-19. “Hey, the shoes Sonic is wearing in the movie are just for him.”
- Puma (brand) at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.