The Precioustone (プレシャストーン Pureshasutōn?) is an object that appears in Sonic Shuffle. It is a mysterious crystal from Maginaryworld and the crystallized essence of everyone's dreams. It is the essence of Maginaryworld's existence and is protected by Illumina in the Temple of Light.
The Precioustone is a large, completely clear and round cut crystal which has what looks like yellow flames burning in its center.
While the full scale of its properties are unknown, it is said that the power of the Precioustone can make dreams come true and that it can create an entire dimension from dreams, like Maginaryworld. It also has a strong connection to Maginaryworld; when in good condition, the Precioustone keeps Maginaryworld under control and protects it, but if it is shattered, Maginaryworld becomes vulnerable to hostile forces.
The complete and whole Precioustone is sometimes referred to as the Perfect Precioustone.
The Precioustone was created from the essence of everyone dreams, presumably by Illumina, and was used to create Maginaryworld from the dreams of those in other dimensions. The crystal came to reside in the Temple of Light where it was guarded by Illumina to ensure everyone's dreams were protected.
When Illumina split into Lumina Flowlight and Void due to her own self-doubt, Void sought out the Precioustone in hopes that it could make him whole again. When he touched the Perfect Precioustone however, his powers caused it to shatter into five Precioustones which were send to Emerald Coast, Fire Bird, Nature Zone, Riot Train and Fourth Dimension Space. Without the Precioustone, Maginaryworld began to fall into disaster, its many dream worlds starting to change due to Void's darkness.
In Sonic Shuffle, to restore the Precioustone, Lumina brought Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy to Maginaryworld and set them out on a quest to find all the Precioustones and repair the Perfect Precioustone. Dr. Eggman also followed Sonic to Maginaryworld since he learned of the power of the Precioustone, but his schemes to obtain it amounted to nothing.
During Sonic and his friends' travels, Void got to each of the Precioustones first and further shattered them when he tried to take them; but each time, Sonic and his friends got all the fragments back to the Temple of Light. When the Perfect Precioustone was almost rebuilt, Void went after the crystal again, but was stopped by Sonic and his group. However, when the Precioustone would not regain its light, Lumina lost all hope, but Sonic and his friends managed to restore her faith and made her accept Void for what he was. Lumina and Void then entered the Precioustone where they merged back into Illumina and fully restored the relic.
In gameplay, the players' objective is to collect as many Precioustone fragments as possible from around the board, with the game ending once all fragments have been claimed by the players (between two and seven in VS. Mode, but always seven in Story Mode). Upon reaching the Precioustone, a player must battle a monster: should they win, they get the Precioustone, causing another one to spawn somewhere. At the end of a game, players are awarded an Emblem for every Precioustone they collect.
In other media
The Precioustone makes an appearance in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-off comics published by Archie Comics as a part of the comics' adaption of Sonic Shuffle where it is also referred to as the Master Precioustone. In this media, it is weaved from dreams and serves as both the gateway to Maginaryworld and the nexus to its reality. Like in the game, the Master Precioustone was shattered by Void, but later reassembled by Sonic and his friends.
- Like the Time Stones, the Prescioustone is one of the few mystical items that so far do not give Sonic nor his friends a transformation.
- The full Precioustone is referred to as the "Perfect Precioustone" in the profiles of Void and Illumina in the original English instruction booklet. However, the rest of the manual simply calls it the Precioustone, along with the game itself. The term also does not show up in the Japanese manual.
- The Precioustone was given a brief reference in the Sonic Forces tie-in comic Sonic Forces: Rise of Infinite as one of Cubot's name suggestions for what would later be known as the Phantom Ruby (albeit spelled as "Precious Stone."), with Orbot shooting down the suggestion by pointing out that it was the "wrong game."
- Sonic Team, Hudson Soft (14 November 2000). Sonic Shuffle. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/level: Riot Train. "Void: No one can deny me... When they feel lonely and scared and can't face it anymore. Everyone dreams. They escape into a dream. That's why I created the dream... The Precioustone too..."
- Sonic Shuffle (Dreamcast) United States instruction manual, p. 2.
- Sonic Shuffle (Dreamcast) Japanese instruction manual, p. 4.
- Sonic Team, Hudson Soft (14 November 2000). Sonic Shuffle. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/level: Riot Train. "Lumina Flowlight: Maginaryworld... The world where everyone's dreams come true... Precioustone... The crystalized essence of everyone's dreams... But... There are many different kinds of dreams. Ambition, Possession, Domination... These are dreams from the dark realm. Is that... Void?"
- Sonic Team, Hudson Soft (14 November 2000). Sonic Shuffle. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/level: Opening sequence. "Lumina Flowlight: Precioustone... A crystal created from everyone's dreams. The power of the precioustone makes dreams come true and is the essence of Maginaryworld's existence... Illumina, the Goddess of Dreams, and I are the protectors of the Precioustone. We guard the Precioustone so that everyone's dreams are protected...
- Sonic Team, Hudson Soft (14 November 2000). Sonic Shuffle. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/level: Opening sequence. "Lumina Flowlight: Maginaryworld. A world created from the dreams of those from other dimensions... This is the Temple of Light... This is where the Precioustone was... it's the crystal that created this world.
- Sonic Team, Hudson Soft (14 November 2000). Sonic Shuffle. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/level: Riot Train. "Lumina Flowlight: Maginaryworld... A world of dreams protected by the Precioustone. A heart... a delicate and precious thing that can be broken easily. But everyone has a darkside deep in their heart. At times, people can be trapped in their worst nightmare. But they won't know that they are trapped. Is that... Void?"
- Sonic Shuffle (Dreamcast) North American instruction manual, p. 24.