The Post-Super Genesis Wave timeline is a universe that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It refers to the continuity for the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series and its various spin-offs following Ken Penders' lawsuit against Archie Comics.
In-story, the Post-Super Genesis Wave timeline is a timeline that was created from the result of the events of the comic crossover event Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide. In said crossover event, Sonic the Hedgehog (in his super form) attempted to revert the damages done to his original timeline via Chaos Control but was thwarted by Dr. Eggman in an attempt to sabotage Sonic's restoration on his world. The result of Eggman's undermining created the Post-Super Genesis Wave timeline.
Currently, the Post-Super Genesis Wave timeline is a mixture of adaptations from the video game series, Sonic the Hedgehog television series, and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, along with additional and original comic-exclusive stories.
Ken Penders was a former writer for the Sonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles the Echidna comic series who, in the fall of 2010, filed a lawsuit against Archie Comics to obtain the rights to his characters and concepts. The legal dispute continued until the tail-end of 2012 when Archie Comics fired its legal team and Penders was given the rights to his characters back. The result triggered a huge revision of the current Sonic and Sonic Universe comic stories, resulting in multiple changes to the then-current stories.
The lawsuit brought multiple changes to the long-term storylines, resulting in Ian Flynn's present plots and goals being canceled. The storyline Endangered Species (Sonic the Hedgehog #243-#246), for example, was abruptly altered to exclude any characters created by Ken Penders. Covers of Sonic the Hedgehog #244 and the following issue were subtlety changed to get rid of any Penders-characters (for example, the original cover featuring Julie-Su then the final cover without Julie-Su of Sonic the Hedgehog #244).
The comics did not suffer from the absent characters for too long, however; Penders's affect from the lawsuit began changing the comics starting with Sonic the Hedgehog #244 and Sonic Universe #46, shortly before the crossover event Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide. Seeing as gaining Penders's characters back in the comic would be too troublesome, writer Ian Flynn "rebooted" the comic series at the finale of the crossover to a more video game-oriented timeline, erasing all of the characters not created by Ian Flynn or Tracy Yardley. Not only this, but storylines that were carried from the old timeline were either abruptly ended without a conclusion or brought back with the plotline fundamentally changed.
Ian Flynn has stated multiple times that he is certain that none of the original timeline characters created by Penders or any character related to any old timeline-concept that was created by Flynn will return.
Beginning in Sonic the Hedgehog #252 and Sonic Universe #55, the Post-Super Genesis Wave timeline immediately kicked off in the Shattered World Crisis, which is to help establish the new timeline and introduce (as well as re-introducing) characters and locations exclusively created for this timeline.
Sonic the Hedgehog
- Shattered World Crisis, Act One
- Worlds Unite Parts 3, 7, and 11 #273-#275
- Shattered World Crisis, Act Two
- Genesis of a Hero #288-#291 (#291 was cancelled)
- Post-Shattered World Crisis #292-#294 (canceled)
- Pirate Plunder Panic #55-#58
- Dark Trilogy
- Spark of Life #71-#74
- Worlds Unite Parts 1, 5, and 9 #76-#78
- The Silver Age #79-#82
- Eggman's Dozen #83-#86
- Shattered #87-#90
- The Case of the Pirate Princess #91-#94
- Freedom Fighters #95-#97 (canceled)
- During a Q&A on BumbleKing, Ian Flynn revealed that Sonic R and Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood are not part of the new continuity.
- ↑ TSSZ News (11 April 2016). Archie Comics Files Federal Lawsuit Against Ken Penders.
- ↑ Bleeding Cool (11 April 2016). Archie Comics Settles With Ken Penders Over Sonic The Hedgehog Lawsuit.
- ↑ Ian Flynn (11 April 2016). Flynn Confirming Old Timeline Character's Fates.
- ↑ Flynn, Ian (22 March 2015). Ask Ian - Year End Bonanza Thingie. BumbleKing Comics. Retrieved on 22 March 2019.