The PlayStation 2 (プレイステーションツー Pureisutēshontsū?) often abbreviated as PS2, is a video game console developed by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2000. It competed with Sega's Dreamcast, Nintendo's GameCube and Microsoft's Xbox. Its successor was the PlayStation 3 and its predecessor was the PlayStation, for which no Sonic games were released (Sega was still manufacturing their own video game consoles at the time and even competed with the PlayStation with the Sega Saturn).
Sonic series games
|Sonic Heroes||Sonic Mega Collection Plus||Sonic Gems Collection|
(Japan and Europe only)
|Shadow the Hedgehog||Sonic Riders||Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity|
Sega games featuring Sonic
|Sega Superstars||Sega Genesis Collection||Sega Superstars Tennis|
- E-123 Omega
- Egg Pawn
- Neo Metal Sonic
- Black Doom
- Jet's father
- Jet the Hawk
- Storm the Albatross
- Wave the Swallow
- Dark Gaia
- Sonic the Werehog
- Professor Pickle
- The PlayStation 2's life-cycle was a total of thirteen years (2000-2013) and sold over 155 million units before being officially discontinued on 4 January 2013. As well, the PlayStation 4 would then be announced a month later and was released in November of the same year.
- The PS2 has over 1,850 games available.
- This is the first console to have a DVD drive.
- Sega Superstars is the only Sonic-related game exclusive to the PS2 that comes with the EyeToy camera.
- Sonic Heroes was the first Sonic game to appear on a Sony console.
- The PS2 versions of Sonic Heroes, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, and Shadow the Hedgehog had a few bugs that other versions of the games did not have. Sonic Heroes had camera and framerate issues, Sonic Mega Collection Plus had audio problems, and Shadow the Hedgehog had framerate issues, along with loading and some cutscenes still playing when trying to skip them. Sonic Team may have had some development problems due to a lack of experience making games for the PS2.
- The PS2 version of Sonic Gems Collection was released in Japan and Europe, but was never released in the US for unknown reasons. The PS2 version is also region-locked so that it plays the original soundtrack of Sonic the Hedgehog CD on a Japanese system; if it detects another region (even European), it defaults to the American soundtrack, and there is no in-game music selection. This is not the case for the GameCube release, which may have been done to save space. However, the version of Sonic R in the GCN release supports four-players, which was reduced to two on PS2.
- Rivington, James (25 February 2008). Sony PlayStation: The first 20 years (English). techradar. Retrieved on 10 June 2018.
- BBC Staff (24 November 2000). Playstation 2 sweeps into Europe. British Broadcasting Company. Retrieved on 10 June 2018.
- Khan, Zarmena (28 April 2019). The PS3 Has Sold Over 87.4 Million Units as of March 31, 2017. PlayStation Lifestyle. Archived from the original on 11 November 2020. Retrieved on 11 November 2020.