- For other characters with the same or similar name, see Pachacamac (disambiguation).
Pachacamac (パチャカマ Pachakama?) is a fictional character from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He was an anthropomorphic echidna and father of Tikal, who served as the mystic chief and warlord of the Knuckles Clan 3,000 years ago. When Pachacamac rose to Chief of the Knuckles Clan, he led his people on series of wars to expand the clan's empire. To ensure his people's survival, Pachacamac orchestrated an attack on Altar of the Emeralds, but ended up invoking the wrath of Chaos, who killed Pachacamac and nearly wiped out the Knuckles Clan.
- 1 Concept and creation
- 2 Appearance
- 3 History
- 4 Other game appearances
- 5 Personality
- 6 Powers and abilities
- 7 In other media
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Gallery
- 10 References
Concept and creation
Pachacamac was an anthropomorphic echidna. He was fairly muscular for his age, with a broad torso and a thick tail. He also had a pointy muzzle with a sharp black nose, purple eyes, and dreadlock-like spikes hanging down the sides of his head. Much like his followers, he had stripes of tan war-paint on top of his head and around his dreadlocks. Most noticeably, his muzzle was covered in a white beard, and he had long and busy white eyebrows.
Pachacamac's attire was very elaborate. He wore a flat brown necklace with light blue feathers attached to it around his neck, and he had purple, green and orange arm bands adorned with light blue feathers around his upper arms and wrists. Like the rest of his clan, he also wore white gloves with pointy knuckles. He also wore a black waist cloth with orange rectangular lines and blue rims. This waist cloth also had light blue feathers ornaments attached on the lower rim. He also wore simple tan sandals.
While Pachacamac's mother, Grandma, lead the Knuckles Clan down a path of peace, Pachacamac yearned to expand their kingdom. When Grandma died, Pachacamac inherited her chieftain rank. No sooner, Pachacamac made his move and directed his people into a series of successful and swift conquests and wars against the neighboring countries, pillaging and killing everyone that came in his way. However, he was unable to take control of the nearby Altar of the Emeralds where the seven Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald resided, as a force protected the place. While Pachacamac had his ways supported by the majority of the Knuckles Clan, he found himself at odds with Tikal, who severely disapproved his acts of violence.
Despite his daughter's disaproval, Pachacamac continued his wars of conquest. In a supposed act of desperation in the face of his clan's destruction, Pachacamac sought to steal the Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald from the Altar of the Emeralds by force, believing they were the keys to the Knuckles Clan's survival and continued victories. However, Tikal, who had befriended the Chao and their guardian Chaos at the altar, pleaded him not to go through with his plan.
Eventually, Pachacamac and his men managed to lead a brutal attack on the Altar of the Emeralds, destroying much of the altar. When Pachacamac and his men went to steal the Emeralds, however, Tikal and the Chao tried to defend the altar by standing in their way. Pachacamac ordered Tikal to get out the way and told her that the Emeralds were needed to give their people total power, but Tikal pleaded him to stop. Refusing to listen to a child, Pachacamac ignored Tikal and ordered his warriors to charge, tramping over Tikal and injuring the Chao living there. This act enraged the Chao's guardian, Chaos, who appeared in front of Pachacamac when he got to the Emeralds, shocking him. Pachacamac was then killed by Chaos when the creature used the seven Chaos Emeralds to transform into Perfect Chaos, who then proceeded to wipe out almost all of the Knuckles Clan.
Pachacamac's last actions had severe repercussions. By attacking Chaos' home, Pachacamac caused Chaos to be corrupted by its own anger and sadness, turning it into a monster bent on destroying the world. To stop Chaos' rampage, Tikal sacrificed herself to seal Chaos in the Master Emerald, although not before Chaos had brought much of the Knuckles Clan's civilization to ruin.
In the present day, Pachacamac had been all but nearly forgotten. However, his actions were still felt in the form of Chaos, whose rage endured the centuries. Eventually, Chaos was unleashed upon the world again when Dr. Eggman freed the creature, but Super Sonic managed to neutralize its anger.
Other game appearances
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
In Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Pachacamac and the Knuckles Clan's empire's expanding borders began pushing against those of the Nocturnus Clan empire, a rival echidna clan led by Imperator Ix. In a war of expansion, the Knuckles Clan fought the Nocturnus Clan in a constant bloody conflict for supremacy, where both sides refused to yield. The Knuckles Clan was ultimately pushed to its doom when the Nocturnus Clan began prosecuting the conflict by attacking with their prototype Gizoid. This made Pachacamac believe that the Chaos Emeralds were their only hope and sought to steal them. This plan went awry as he and the other members of the clan were wiped out by Perfect Chaos.
Pachacamac was described as fearless, brave, and bold by the members of the Knuckles Clan. However, he was also a cruel, power-hungry, and greedy warmonger with boundless ambitions, showing no qualms about killing and plundering other countries. While amoral in his actions, Pachacamac was highly protective and loyal towards his clan and viewed his people's well-being as a reason for justifying his cruel and ruthless actions.
Regardless of his devotion to his clan, Pachacamac was a cold and distant individual whom held little love for his daughter Tikal, as he was willing to order his warriors to trample over her to get what he wanted.
Powers and abilities
Pachacamac was said to have been very powerful by his followers. His skills as a military tactician was also unquestionable as the Knuckles Clan conquered a number of countries under his leadership.
During his time, Pachacamac wielded a wooden spear. This spear had a sharp stone for a spearhead and was adorned with green leaves and pearls.
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Pachacamac was the leader of the Knuckles Clan, a warrior caste of a group of Echidna colonist from Albion. They settled in Soumerca, where Pachacamac and the Knuckles Clan remained behind to fight a territorial war with the Felidae and the Nocturnus Clan. When the war was going against the Knuckles Clan, Pachacamac sought to harness the power of seven local Chaos Emeralds to win the war, but ended up incurring the wrath of Chaos and was subsequently killed by the creature.
Sonic the Comic
In Sonic the Comic, Pachacamac was named "Pochacamac". In this media, Pochacamac was the ancient spiritual leader of the Ancient Echidnas who let his people against the Drakon Empire in a war to keep them from using the Chaos Emeralds to conquer the galaxy. Eventually, Pochacamac had a vision of Sonic the Hedgehog who would become the Drakon's sworn enemy in the future, so he and Tikal brought Sonic to their time to help them. However, when Chaos nearly killed Sonic, Pochacamac sent Sonic back to his own time to save his life.
In the anime series Sonic X, much like in the games, Pachacamac was an ancient warmongering chief of a tribe of echidnas and sought the Chaos Emeralds to seize power. Despite his daughter Tikal's attempts to change his mind, Pachacamac attacked the Emeralds' shrine with his men, only to incur the anger of Chaos who killed him when the creature transformed into Perfect Chaos.
Sonic the Hedgehog (film)
- Aside from Tikal, Pachacamac is the only main echidna that does not have purple eyes.
- In Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut, Pachacamac exhibits a constant squint, a quirk which has been absent from his portrayals in other media.
- Imperator Ix, whose arrogance is on a cosmic scale, acknowledged Pachacamac as a mighty foe.
- Pachacamac is very briefly referenced in Sonic Unleashed; in one Werehog level of Empire City, a neon building sign reads "Pachacamac Parking".
- See the Wikipedia article on the Pachacamac archaeological site.
- Act:024 かくれんぼ！ (Japanese). 関連タイトル！. Sega (9 December 2016). Archived from the original on 9 December 2016. Retrieved on 9 December 2016.
- Sonic Team (October 19, 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Tails' version). "Knuckles Clan tribesman": The Chief's daughter loved her grandmother so much. The country was a lot smaller back when Grandma was alive. But the Chief wanted to expand his kingdom. After Grandma's death, he made his move... He did well. He quickly took over the surrounding areas. But his daughter didn't like what he'd done..."
- Sonic Team (October 19, 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Knuckles' version). "Pachacamac": Tikal, the 7 Emeralds are essential to our survival. It is for the good of all our people."
- Sonic Chronicles, Chapter 10: Ix recalls Pachacamac's face while talking to Knuckles, during the cutscene just before the series of final boss fights within the Nocturne fortress.
- "The expanding borders of the Knuckles' Clan empire and the Nocturnus Clan empire were pushing against each other, and neither side was intent on yielding" - Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood instruction manual, pg. 4.
- "They were in constant bloody conflict with the Nocturnus Clan, another clan of echindas that lived at that time." - Codex entry on the Knuckles Clan in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.
- BioWare (September 26, 2008). Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Blue Ridge Zone. "Imperator Ix: With our prototype Gizoids, we forced our rivals, the clan of mighty Pachacamac to its doom."
- BioWare (26 September 2008). Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Nintendo DS. Sega. "Codex: The mystic Knuckles Clan lived in what is now known as Mystic Ruins. Their chief, Pachacamac, tried to steal the Chos Emeralds, which unexpectedly unleashed Perfect Chaos and virtually wiped out the entire clan. It is believed that this move was born out of desperation in the face of his clan's destruction at the hands of a rival clan. Almost immediately after Perfect Chaos nearly wiped out the Knuckles Clan, the Nocturnus Clan mysteriously disappeared, leaving the remnants of the Knuckles Clan to revive echidna society."
- Sonic Team (October 19, 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Tails' version). "Knuckles Clan tribesman": Our Chief is Pachacamac. He's fearless. Brave. Bold. With him, we can never lose. We owe everything to Pachacamac."
- Sonic Team (October 19, 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (E-102 Gamma's version). "Tikal": Now my father is trying to take their sacred home. It seems his heart is closed off to us all. My true hope is that one day, we'll understand each other."
- Sonic Team (October 19, 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Knuckles' version). "Knuckles Clan tribesman: Our Chief is Pachacamac. He's very powerful!"
- Tyson Hesse on Twitter. Twitter (4 April 2020). Retrieved on 4 April 2020.