Pachacamac (パチャカマ Pachakama?) is a fictional character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He was an anthropomorphic echidna and the father of Tikal, who served as the chief and warlord of the Knuckles Clan approximately 3,000 years ago. When Pachacamac became chieftain of his clan, he led his people into a series of successful wars to expand the Knuckles Clan's empire. To further his warmongering, Pachacamac orchestrated an attack on the Altar of Emerald, but ended up invoking the wrath of Chaos, who killed him and nearly wiped out the Knuckles Clan.
Concept and creation
Pachacamac was an anthropomorphic echidna with reddish-brown fur. He was fairly muscular for his age, with a broad torso and a thick tail. He also had a wide and pointy muzzle with a sharp black nose, dreadlock-like spines hanging down the sides of his head, and blue eyes; the latter of which he exhibits a constant squint, a quirk which has been absent from his portrayals in media other than Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut. Much like his followers, he wore stripes of tan war-paint on top of his head and around his dreadlocks. Most noticeably, his muzzle was covered in a white beard, and he had long and bushy white eyebrows.
Pachacamac's attire was very elaborate. He wore a flat gold necklace with teal feathers attached to it around his neck, and he had violet, light blue and yellow armbands adorned with light blue feathers around his upper arms and wrists. Like the rest of his clan, he also wore white mittens with pointy knuckles. He also wore a brown waist cloth with orange rectangular lines and blue rims. This waist cloth also had teal feathers attached on the lower rim. Additionally, he wore simple, tan sandals.
Approximately 3,000 years ago, Pachacamac was a part of the family of chiefs that led the Knuckles Clan. At some point in his life, Pachacamac and his wife had a daughter named Tikal. Eventually, though, Pachacamac's wife would pass away.
Before Pachacamac became chieftain, his mother, named Grandma, led the Knuckles Clan. Under her rule, the Knuckles Clan was a mere band of ruffians of a small country during the time of rivaling warlords. Pachacamac, however, yearned to expand his clan's kingdom. After Grandma passed away, Pachacamac became chief of his clan, which was when he seized his opportunity to lead the Knuckles Clan his way and make his move. Under his leadership as chieftain, Pachacamac transformed his Clan into a powerful warring force with which he launched successful attacks on the surrounding countries, stealing and killing along the way. In no time at all, Pachacamac suppressed his rival kingdoms; effectively giving him and the Knuckles Clan dominion over everything within view from their country. Pachacamac's warmongering led to an era of prosperity for his country, expanding its size and wealth. However, Pachacamac was not satisfied with merely suppressing the neighboring countries. Justifying that it was for the survival of his people, Pachacamac sought to steal the Chaos Emeralds enshrined in the Altar of Emerald to further expand the Knuckles Clan's power. However, all of Pachacamac's attempts to steal the Chaos Emeralds were thwarted by a strange force.
While Pachacamac had his ways supported by the majority of the Knuckles Clan, he found himself at odds with his daughter Tikal, who severely disapproved of his warmongering. Though Tikal pleaded for him to abandon his ways and stop going after the Chaos Emeralds, he turned a deaf ear to her, insisting that their clan's survival depended on them. Soon after, Pachacamac sought to attack the Altar of Emerald one more time and take the Chaos Emeralds, putting the pride of his clan at stake.
Despite Tikal's efforts to change his mind, Pachacamac soon launched a violent attack on the Altar of Emerald with his men from the Knuckles Clan, setting it ablaze. During their invasion however, Tikal and the altar's native Chao stood in their way. Pachacamac, however, ignored Tikal's pleas for a peaceful resolution and ordered his men to attack, causing them to trample over Tikal and the Chao. This profound act of indiscrimination incurred the wrath of Chaos, the guardian deity of the Chao and Tikal's friend. As such, when Pachacamac got into the center of the altar where the Master Emerald was with his men, he found his path blocked by Chaos when the creature appeared before him, shocking the elderly echidna. Chaos then retaliated by transforming into Perfect Chaos using the negative energy of the Chaos Emeralds and annihilating Pachacamac and his men.
Pachacamac's last actions had severe repercussions. By attacking Chaos' home and having his men ruthlessly trample over its friends, Pachacamac caused Chaos to be corrupted by its own anger and sadness, turning it into a monster bent on destroying the world. To stop Chaos' rampage, Tikal sacrificed her body to seal Chaos inside the Master Emerald with her own soul and consciousness, although not before Chaos had brought much of the Knuckles Clan's civilization to ruin.
Pachacamac's actions also severely changed the Knuckles Clan's way of life. The enormity of the damage left by Chaos left the remainder of the Knuckles Clan drastically weakened. To keep someone with Pachacamac's ambitions from repeating such an event, the Knuckles Clan created Angel Island with the Master Emerald in order to live there and guard said emerald. Successive generations of Knuckles Clan echidnas would subsequently take up this duty. Gradually though, the Knuckles Clan entered terminal decline, until only one member of the clan would remain in the present day: Knuckles the Echidna.
In Sonic Adventure and its enhanced port Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut, Pachacamac had been all but nearly forgotten. However, his actions were still felt in the form of Chaos, whose rage endured throughout the millennia. Eventually, Chaos was unleashed upon the world again when Dr. Eggman freed the creature, who sought to destroy the world as it intended to do by becoming Perfect Chaos again. To make those involved with Chaos and the Chaos Emeralds, namely Sonic the Hedgehog and his allies, aware of what had to be done, a non-corporeal Tikal would show these individuals visions of the past involving Pachacamac in order to make them seal Chaos again. Sonic, however, ultimately managed to neutralize Chaos's anger, finally putting an end to the threat that Pachacamac's actions had brought upon the world so long ago.
In Sonic Forces, a short while before the War to Take Back the Planet began, Knuckles brought up Pachacamac when he saw an illusion of his village, brought fourth by the Phantom Ruby, temporarily appear on Angel Island.
Other game appearances
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
In Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, 4,000 years ago, Pachacamac and the Knuckles Clan's empire's expanding borders began pushing against those of the Nocturnus Clan, a rival echidna empire led by Imperator Ix. In a war of expansion, the Knuckles Clan fought the Nocturnus Clan in a constant bloody conflict for supremacy, where both sides refused to yield. The Knuckles Clan was ultimately pushed to its doom when the Nocturnus Clan began prosecuting the conflict by attacking with their prototype Gizoids. This made Pachacamac believe that the Chaos Emeralds were their only hope and sought to steal them. This plan went awry as he and the other members of the clan were wiped out by Perfect Chaos.
In the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 version of Sonic Unleashed, Pachacamac is briefly referenced in one of Sonic the Werehog's Missions, A Dead End, where a neon sign on a building reads "Pachacamac Parking."
Pachacamac was described as fearless, brave, and bold by the members of the Knuckles Clan. However, he was also a cruel, power-hungry, and greedy warmonger with boundless ambitions. Not satisfied with suppressing his rival warlords and controlling everything within view of his country, he had no qualms about unscrupulously killing and plundering other countries or invading sacred precincts, showing a total lack of respect for anyone's way of life. Despite his amoral behavior though, Pachacamac was also highly protective and loyal towards his clan. Being ready to defend them at any cost, he viewed his people's well-being and survival as a righteous reason for justifying his cruel and ruthless actions.
Regardless of his devotion to his clan, Pachacamac was still a cold and distant individual. He similarly held little fatherly love for his daughter, Tikal, as he was willing to order his men to trample over her to get what he wanted. He was also rather arrogant, deeming Tikal's warnings not to invade the Altar of Emerald as something to dismiss entirely since they were the words of a child. In the end, Pachacamac's greed, arrogance and lack of understanding led to the demise of himself and many others, as well as the downfall of the Knuckles Clan.
Powers and abilities
Pachacamac was said to have been very powerful by his followers. His skills as a military tactician was also unquestionable as the Knuckles Clan quickly suppressed all of its rival countries under his leadership.
During his time, Pachacamac wielded a wooden spear. This spear had a sharp stone for a spearhead and was adorned with green leaves and pearls.
In other media
In the Sonic X anime series, much like in the games, Pachacamac was the warmongering chief of the Knuckles Clan. In this media, Pachacamac led his clan into a series of conflicts where he would loot and attack the innocent. Wanting more power, Pachacamac decided to steal the Chaos Emeralds from the Altar of Emerald. During his raid however, he encountered resistance from his daughter, Tikal, who wanted to convince him to abandon his ways. However, Pachacamac and his men ignored Tikal and quickly attacked the altar, trampling over Tikal and her accompanying Chao along the way. This infuriated the Chao's guardian, Chaos. This prompted Chaos to harness the power of Chaos Emeralds to become Perfect Chaos. This led to the death of Pachacamac and many other members of his clan.
Books and comics
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Pachacamac was the leader of the Knuckles Clan, a warrior caste of a group of echidna colonist from Albion who joined the Second Downunda Colony. They settled in Soumerca, where Pachacamac and the Knuckles Clan remained behind to fight a territorial war against the native Felidae of País Misterioso and the Nocturnus Clan, an advanced science caste from the same colony expedition. When the tides of war began turning against the Knuckles Clan, Pachacamac sought to harness the power of seven local Chaos Emeralds to win the war, but ended up incurring the wrath of Chaos and was subsequently killed by the creature.
Sonic the Comic
In Sonic the Comic, Pachacamac is instead named Pochacamac. In this media, Pochacamac was the ancient and heroic spiritual leader of the ancient Echidna Empire. 8,000 years ago, he let his people against the Drakon Empire into a war to keep them from acquiring the Chaos Emeralds and using them to conquer the galaxy. Eventually, Pochacamac had a vision of Sonic the Hedgehog, who would become the Drakon's sworn enemy in the future, so he and Tikal summoned Sonic from the future, hoping to get his support in the fight against the Drakons. However, when Chaos nearly killed Sonic during a Drakon attack on Megopolis City, Pochacamac was forced to send Sonic back to his own time to save his life. After the Drakons were driven out of Megaopolis City, Tikal worried about Sonic well-being, but Pochacamac insisted that sending him back was the only way to save him.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog film series produced by Paramount Pictures, Pachacamac was among the echidna tribe seeking Sonic during the latter's youth in order to seize his incredible powers for themselves. Eventually tracking Sonic down, his guardian, Longclaw, tried to take Sonic to safety, only for Pachacamac to shoot her down and force her to send Sonic to Earth alone.
- Aside from Tikal, Pachacamac is the only echidna in the Sonic video games that does not have purple eyes.
- Imperator Ix, whose arrogance is on a cosmic scale, acknowledged Pachacamac as a "mighty" foe.
- Act:024 かくれんぼ！ (Japanese). 関連タイトル！. Sega (9 December 2016). Archived from the original on 9 December 2016. Retrieved on 9 December 2016.
- Sonic Team (9 September 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Tails' story). "Knuckles Clan tribesman: The Chief's daughter loved her grandmother so much. The country was a lot smaller back when Grandma was alive. But the Chief wanted to expand his kingdom. After Grandma's death, he made his move... He did well. He quickly took over the surrounding areas. But his daughter didn't like what he'd done..."
- Sonic Team (9 September 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Knuckles's story). "Tikal: Father! Please don't! / Pachacamac: Tikal, the 7 Emeralds are essential to our survival. It is for the good of all our people. / Tikal: How can I make you understand? Attacking other countries, stealing and killing... can't be the right path to peace. No one has the right to take their holy grounds. I beg you father!"
- Sonic Team (9 September 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Knuckles's story). "Knuckles Clan tribesman: Our Chief is Pachacamac. He's awesome! He controls everything around here, except the altar..."
- Sonic Team (9 September 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Amy's story). "Knuckles Clan tribesman: We made a lotta money with our power. But whenever we tried to get the Emeralds, some strange force always stopped us."
- Sonic Team (9 September 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Knuckles's story). "Knuckles Clan tribesman": Our Chief is Pachacamac. He's fearless. Brave. Bold. With him, we can never lose. We owe everything to Pachacamac."
- Sonic Team (9 September 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Knuckles' story). "Tikal: I beg of you. Hear me now. My father is coming here soon. And I fear what may happen. You must take everyone away from here!"
- Sega, SEGA HARDlight (19 September 2019). Sonic Racing. iOS. Sega. Area/Level: Knuckles the Echidna: Driver info. "Last descendant of the Knuckles Clan and protector of the Master Emerald."
- Sumo Digital (23 February 2010). Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. PlayStation 3. Sega. "Knuckles the Echidna's profile card: Knuckles the guardian of the Master Emerald, which gives Angel Island its power to float in the sky. He is the last of the Echidnas - the island's native people. His name comes from his powerful fists, which allow him to punch through rock and make him a skilled burrower and climber. He can also use his dreadlocks to glide for short distances."
- Sonic Forces: Stress Test, "Stress Test"
- BioWare (26 September 2008). Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Chapter 10: Citadel Showdown.
- Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood (Nintendo DS) United States instruction booklet, pg. 4. "The expanding borders of the Knuckles' Clan empire and the Nocturnus Clan empire were pushing against each other, and neither side was intent on yielding."
- BioWare (26 September 2008). Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Codex. "The Knuckles Clan: The Knuckles Clan was a race of echidnas that lived in Sonic's world thousands of years ago. They were in constant bloody conflict with the Nocturnus Clan, another clan of echidnas that lived at the time."
- BioWare (26 September 2008). Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Nocturne "Ix: With our prototype Gizoids, we forced our rivals, the clan of mighty Pachacamac to its doom."
- BioWare (26 September 2008). Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Codex. "The Knuckles Clan: The mystic Knuckles Clan lived in what is now known as Mystic Ruins. Their chief, Pachacamac, tried to steal the Chaos Emeralds, which unexpectedly unleashed Perfect Chaos and virtually wiped out the entire clan. It is believed that this move was born out of desperation in the face of his clan's destruction at the hands of a rival clan. Almost immediately after Perfect Chaos nearly wiped out the Knuckles Clan, the Nocturnus Clan mysteriously disappeared, leaving the remnants of the Knuckles Clan to revive echidna society."
- Sonic Team (9 September 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Gamma's story). "Tikal": Now my father is trying to take their sacred home. It seems his heart is closed off to us all. My true hope is that one day, we'll understand each other."
- Sonic Team (9 September 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Knuckles's story). "Knuckles Clan tribesman: Our Chief is Pachacamac. He's very powerful!"
- Tyson Hesse on Twitter. Twitter (4 April 2020). Retrieved on 4 April 2020.