Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
"Over the Hill Hero" is the seventeenth episode of the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series. Despite being produced as the seventeenth episode, it aired as the sixth episode during the show's original run.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Captain Rescue (Only appearance)
- Doctor Ivo Robotnik
- General Disorder
Sonic and Tails cross paths with an old hero named Captain Rescue, only to come to regret it. He insists on helping the two heroes out in their adventures, but he ultimately just makes things worse. Sonic eventually has enough and makes it perfectly clear that he doesn't want Captain Rescue around. Doctor Robotnik, on the other hand, wants him to stay and easily manipulates the old hero, creating big trouble for Sonic. Now, Sonic's life depends on Tails and a regretful Captain Rescue.
- Tails: "I think we're lost, Captain Rescue."
- Captain Rescue: "All we have to do is head north."
- Old Bear: "Lost, eh? Don't you young folks know that moss grows the heaviest on the north side of a tree?"
- Tails: "Thank you sir!"
- Captain Rescue: "Thanks."
- Tails: "That old bear knows what he was talking about."
- Captain Rescue: "Right, Tails. Old people can be very wise, and they often know the right direction to take in life."
Title in other languages
|Japanese||可愛そうソニックちゃんと捕らえなった||Poor Sonic got captured|
- This episode has a different title card than the other episodes (like "Robotnik's Rival").
- This is the only episode where Sonic does not appear in the Sonic Sez segment.
- The design of the sun in this episode's title card looks identical to the sun on the logo of British Petroleum (BP).
- The second Japanese dub of this episode starts with Sonic flying down with the umbrella, for unknown reasons. It is known, however, that dialogue for the first few minutes was recorded.
- The premise of this episode is similar to that of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) episode, "Superhero For a Day". Both episodes feature a former Golden Age superhero (Captain Rescue, Gadget Man) coming out of retirement to try and help out the main character(s) (Sonic, the Turtles), against the main villain (Robotnik, Shredder), but only make things worse for the heroes, leading to them getting captured. The Golden Age hero then feels guilt-ridden and watches old tapes of their glory days, and then redeem themselves by rescuing the main character(s) and helping them defeat the villain.
- Both episodes were actually written by the same writer, Francis Moss.