Nusgau Bat is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. He was an elemental wizard and member of the Order of Ixis after the mass extinction of its members. A mobian bat, he gained mastery over the element of wind, and then the elements of water and earth from his comrades Suguna Lobster and Agunus Rhino. The three joined forces after their Order's destruction, and after teaching each other their respective magicks set out to capture control over the element of fire by making contact with the sun. The attempt resulted in their fusion into Ixis Naugus, whom Nusgau would later return to torment along with his fellow wizards.
Nusgau was a member of the Order of Ixis who joined the destroyed order with fellow wizards Agunus and Suguna after the Forgotten War. The trio worked together for a time, teaching each other their elemental abilities and planning to seize the elemental power of fire by making contact with the sun. Despite their cooperation, Agunus and Suguna cheated by keeping a portion of their knowledge to themselves thinking that no one else would notice. Thus Nusgau held back part of his knowledge regarding air, and so thought to surpass the others by reaching the sun first. However, Agunus grabbing Nusgau and Suguna grabbing Agunus led to the three of them falling into the sun together, fusing them together into Ixis Naugus.
Following Operation: Clean Sweep, Nusgau was awoken within Ixis Naugus' mind along with his fellow sorcerers, after a brief conversation with the hybrid sorcerer he fought his fellow wizards to take control over Naugus' body but was ultimately forced aside, for the time being. He and the others would later try to secure their own anticipated power in advising Naugus on courses of action, though their plans to discredit the need for Team Freedom proved unsuccessful. Nusgau and his fellows would continue to torment Naugus in the midst of his plans to have Elias Acorn eliminated and to use an ancient Ixian spell to enslave the Council of Acorn, ganging up on him as he made the finishing touches on his Ritual Chamber and encouraging him to accept the more monstrous form their awakening created. Following the failure of this attempt, Nusgau and the others continued to plague Naugus over his failures both to rule the kingdom and to secure a new vessel to possess. Their complaining ended-at least temporarily-when Naugus decided to use his apprentice Geoffrey St. John as a host body.
Like his fellow Ixians, Nusgau is power-hungry and treacherous, having no qualms about betraying his partners. He is as eager as his associates to seize Naugus' body, despite the objections of Ixis Naugus. His hatred for Naugus often leads him to mock the wizard, though he is not above offering Naugus advice if he believes it can benefit his own interests.
Powers and abilities
Nusgau was an elemental wizard with expertise in wind, though he also learned to manipulate water and earth from his comrades. As a bat, he naturally possessed the ability to fly, which was augmented by his magical abilities.
- Nusgau's name is an anagram of Agunus and Suguna's names and that of their combined form, Naugus.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Ixis Naugus"
- ↑ Ian Flynn (15 August 2012). Sonic Universe #43 - Spoilers & Discussion. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 2 November 2015.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #66, "And then There Was One"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #231, "Haunted"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #231, "Lost In the Moment"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #232, "Dark Tidings"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #236, "Leader of the Band"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #234, "Dark Hearts"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #41, "Unsung Heroes Part One: The Big Guns!"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #42, "Unsung Heroes Part 2: The Terror Below"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #43, "Unsung Heroes Part Three: Occupational Hazards!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #241, "Unraveling"