The Nintendo Switch (formerly known by its codename NX) is the first ever hybrid video game console created by Nintendo. It serves as the seventh and current home console for the company, succeeding the Wii U.
The Nintendo Switch functions as a hybrid home and handheld console, as it can be played at home and on the go with its numerous play styles. The Nintendo Switch was unveiled on 20 October 2016 and released worldwide on 3 March 2017.
The Nintendo Switch began development in 2013 in an attempt to bring back sales to Nintendo after lackluster success with the Wii U and marketing competition from mobile gaming. Revealed to the public on 20 October 2016, the Nintendo Switch was stated to not be "the successor to the Wii U nor to the Nintendo 3DS", but as the system was nearing to its release date, the Wii U's production cycle ended on January 2017.
Before the system was officially unveiled, Sonic Forces was slated to release on the system when it was still under its codename, the "NX". Thus, Sonic Forces was one of the first titles to be announced for the system.
The Nintendo Switch acts as a hybrid home and handheld console. As a "home" console, the system itself can be docked on the Nintendo Switch Dock, where it can connect to a TV. However, the system can be taken out of the Dock and be used as a handheld device, with or without the Joy-Cons (the controllers of the system) attached. The Joy-Cons can be attached onto the system and on the Joy-Con Grip, where it can serve as a traditional controller.
Nintendo Switch Sonic games
Sonic Forces: Bonus Edition
2 Hits Pack: Sonic Forces / Puyo Puyo Tetris
Sonic Mania Plus
Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania Plus Double Pack
Sega Genesis Classics
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Team Sonic Racing
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- The Nintendo Switch is the first home console in the world to store physical games on cartridges as the main format in 20 years; the last cartridge-based home console before it was the Nintendo 64, released in 1996.
- The Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's first region-free home console, and their first fully region-free system since the Nintendo DS, released in 2004.
- The phrase "THANKS2 ALLGAMEFANS!" can be found written on the Pro Controller's motherboard, just above the button of the right stick the message is viewable by holding down the button right stick and peering through the transparent plastic in the surrounding socket.
- Nintendo reveals Switch price and date. BBC News (13 January 2017). Retrieved on 4 October 2018.
- Graft, Kris (12 January 2017). Nintendo Switch official launch price, release date announced. Gamasutra. Retrieved on 4 October 2018.
- Dwi Prihadi, Susetyo (4 March 2017). Nintendo Switch Masuk ke Indonesia Dipatok Mulai Rp 6 Juta (Bahasa Indonesia). CNN Indonesia. Retrieved on 4 October 2018.
- Gough, Christina (15 September 2020). Global unit sales of Nintendo Switch console 2017-2020. Statista. Retrieved on 25 September 2020.
- Porter, Jon (24 November 2017). Nintendo Switch Battery Life Tested: How long will it last?. TechRadar. Retrieved on 06 March 2018.
- Nintendo's Big Switch: Q&A With President Tatsumi Kimishima. Bloomberg Technology (27 October 2016). Retrieved on 21 September 2017. “Tatsumi Kimishima: Three years ago, all of us together — [Satoru Iwata], Genyo Takeda (technology head) and Shigeru Miyamoto (creative head) — created a plan to revitalize our business, which included smart devices, our new hardware and maximizing our intellectual property.”
- First Look at Nintendo Switch. Nintendo (20 October 2016). Retrieved on 20 September 2017.
- Arif, Shabana (16 May 2016). Nintendo NX "is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS". VG24/7. Retrieved on 20 September 2017.
- Nintendo Switch at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.