"Next Top Villain" is the thirty-seventh episode in the Sonic Boom television series. It first aired on 1 August 2015 in the United States and on 29 August 2015 in France.
When Dave The Intern sets out to prove to his mother his villainy, his attempts are a failure until he inadvertently captures Eggman. With Eggman out of the picture, Dave the Intern hijacks his robots and attacks the village. Sonic must rescue Eggman and save the village.
- Crab Bot (Cameo)
- Child Monkey
- Mrs. Dave's Mom (Voice only)
- Dr. Eggman
- Ice Cream Vendor
- Lady Goat
- Lightning Bolt Society
- Nominatus (Cameo)
- Octopus Bot
- Pepper People (Cameo)
- Soar the Eagle
- Team Sonic
- T.W. Barker (Cameo)
- Walrus Camera Man
- Walrus Male
- Sonic Boom World
At the beginning of the episode, Team Sonic fights their most dangerous opponent yet: Dave the Intern, with helmet and cape. The villain makes quick work of the heroes and laughs in triumph... but it turns out to be a fantasy Dave is enacting in his room with action figures. He then hears his mother asking him why he is not trying to be more like Dr. Eggman and instead interacting with "losers" like the other members of the Lightning Bolt Society, to which Dave insists he is a real villain and will prove it. Later, the other Lightning Bolt Society members are seen gluing a coin to the ground as a prank. Dave passes by, and they attempt to get him to join in, but he refuses, telling them that his mother does not allow him to hang out with them anymore, deeming them to not be a bad enough influence.
Hoping to replicate the supervillain powers he imagined himself having, Dave attempts to destroy Team Sonic by blowing a fan on a block of ice to freeze them, using a reflecting mirror with the sunlight to roast them, and releasing rabbits on the team to maim them. None of these ideas work, however. After the last attempt, Dr. Eggman appears, sarcastically applauding and congratulating Dave for his efforts, then asking if he learned nothing as his intern. The doctor then shows off his new invention, the Electrocage, and flaunts his technological superiority over Dave. Frustrated by constant reminders of how worthless he is as a villain, Dave throws a tantrum that scares one of the rabbits, which leaps onto the control panel of the nearby Eggmobile; the vehicle fires its lasers at a nearby palm tree that subsequently falls onto Eggman, knocking him out.
Later, Eggman regains consciousness inside his own Electrocage, having been captured by Dave and relocated to the latter's room. Eggman tells his captor that he is certain Orbot and Cubot will rescue him, but his two minions are instead enjoying themselves in Eggman's lair with no clue the doctor is missing, and even though Eggman is unaware of this fact, he has second thoughts about his declaration regardless. At that moment, a news report starts on the nearby TV. In it, Soar the Eagle speaks about Eggman no longer being the biggest villain around; a video recording Dave made and sent to the news while Eggman was unconscious is played, featuring him posturing about being the new top villain and challenging Sonic to fight him. Afterwards, Soar interviews Sonic, who tells the reporter that not only is he glad that Eggman is no longer an issue, but he still does not consider Dave much of a threat. Both of them break out into laughter, as well as an amused Eggman.
Furious at being mocked again and determined to prove Sonic wrong, Dave steals Eggman's Octopus Bot and later pilots it through the village, imagining himself causing Sonic to run off in fear, but in reality, he is driving it recklessly, causing havoc. Team Sonic soon has enough of this sorry display, so Sonic commands his team to prevent Dave from hurting himself and/or others while he goes to rescue Eggman so he can help them stop Octopus Bot. After freeing the doctor from the Electrocage (though not without some arguing), Sonic asks him how his rogue mech can be turned off.
Eggman initially refuses to reveal his secrets, but after seeing Amy and Knuckles destroy two of the robot's tentacles and Dave squander the robot's ink, he complies, explaining that there is an off switch at the bottom of Octopus Bot's head. Luckily, as Dave takes a selfie, the Octopus Bot crashes into his house, allowing Sonic to easily turn off the robot. Instead of berating her son for destroying the house, Dave's Mom is heard congratulating him for his malicious deed, saying that he is now a true villain. Having put an end to the trouble, Team Sonic heads home, but Tails sees the coin that the Lightning Bolt Society glued down. He tries to pick it up, but fails as the Lightning Bolts laugh at him.
- Dr. Eggman recalls Dave the Intern's time as his intern in "Double Doomsday".
- The Electrocage is created. It would appear again in "No Robots Allowed".
- Dr. Eggman would use a recording of Sonic fighting Octopus Bot to program FriendBot in "FiendBot".
- When Team Sonic turns around to go home, Amy's Hammer overlaps with her head for a split second.
During development of this episode, it was initially decided that Dave's helmet (and its lame cardboard counterpart) originally only had ice powers. However, the writers felt that they were limiting Dave' imaginary supervillain-abilities that way, and thus gave him additional powers.
Title in other languages
|Chinese||下一个超级恶霸||Next Super Bully|
|Finnish||Seuraava suuri vihollinen||Next top villain|
|French||Il y a un nouveau méchant en ville||There is a New Villain in Town|
|Hungarian||A gonosztevő utód||The villain successor|
|Italian||Dave l'implacabile||Dave the implacable|
|Japanese||新しい悪の王||The New King of Evil|
|Korean||최고의 악당 되기||Becoming the Top Villain|
|Polish||Najczarniejszy charakter||Blackest character|
|Romanian||Următorul personaj negativ faimos|
|Russian||Ещё один злодей||Another villain|
|Spanish (Latin America)||El Próximo Máximo Villano||The Next Maximum Villain|
|Spanish (Spain)||El Próximo Gran Villano||The Next Big Villain|
|Thai||สุดยอดวายร้ายตัวต่อไป||The next ultimate villain|
|Ukrainian||Наступний найкращий лиходій||The Next Best Villain|
- This episode aired in France as the thirty-eighth episode in the series.
- This episode is named after the American television show, America's Next Top Model.
- The bears that attack Team Sonic during Dave's fantasy use the same character models as the Stunt Bears'.
- The gold helmet Dave wears in his fantasy is very reminiscent to Magneto's trademark helmet from the X-Men series.
- The action figures Dave plays with uses the same models as the ones for the figurines used by the evil Team Sonic in "Eggheads" when they planned their attack on Sonic.
- During the scenes where Eggman is trapped in Dave's room, one can see that Dave has action figures of various subjects in the Sonic Boom television series. These include:
- The music that Team Sonic dances to is based off the "Y.M.C.A." song.
- The part where Knuckles is riding the Octopus Bot's tentacle and says "I'm Billy the Echidna" is a reference to the frontier outlaw in the American Old West named "Billy the Kid."
- Sticks has no dialogue in this episode.
- The book that Sticks reads in Amy's House is Sonic's Autobiography, a toy that can be found in Q-N-C's Toy Shop in Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal.
- Despite that Sticks is disgusted by anything cute, adorable and fuzzy as stated in "Buster", she seems to be quite fond of the rabbits released by Dave in this episode.
- The way that Dave's Mom talks is like the same way Mrs Wolowitz talks from The Big Bang Theory. Also, when Sonic and Dr. Eggman said "Nothing Mrs Dave's Mom," they briefly resembled the cast of The Big Bang Theory.
- Concept artwork for this episode appeared in Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice.
- ↑ Sonic Boom: Next Top Villain. Zap2it.com. Retrieved on 1 July 2015.
- ↑ Cartoon Network - Schedule (2015/11/23). Retrieved on 12 March 2017.
- ↑ Sanzaru Games (September 27, 2016). Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice. Nintendo 3DS. Sega. Level/Area: Sonic's Shack. "Dave the Supervillain: Dave the Intern is the fry-cook at the Village’s half-star fast food joint, Meh Burger. Here we get a peek inside Dave’s mind as we see his fantasy of being a respected supervillain. His evil helmet (and its lame cardboard counterpart) originally only had ice powers, but we felt, why make his abilities as limited as Meh Burger’s condiment bar?"
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uakMCIfO3mU