— Dr. Eggman, Sonic Colors
The Nega-Wisp Armor (エッグネガウィスプ Eggu Nega Uisupu?, lit. "Egg Nega Wisp") is an object that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a giant robot-mech piloted by Dr. Eggman, that uses the Hyper-go-on of Wisps as a power source.
- 1 Description
- 2 History
- 3 Battle
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
The Nega-Wisp Armor resembles a large robotic Purple Frenzy with sharp pointed spines along the body and a large one over the cockpit, clear colored frowning eyes, a large razor sharped mouth with two sharp spines on either side facing upright, a cannon inside that fires purple spikes, small stubby legs around the front and sides, a long tail out the back, and two large tentacles with sharp pincers on each end that contain a pair of purple eyes making them look more like mouths which it uses to fire lasers and cubes from and also to harvest nearby Wisps with a vacuum inside the mouth which sucks them into large tanks located on its back. The tanks change color depending whatever action it is performing. The cockpit is located at the front just above its eyes with a red arrow (resembling a nose) in front pointing down towards its mouth.
The Nega-Wisp Armor in the Nintendo DS version looks similar to its Wii version counterpart, albeit with a few differences. Instead of having two tentacles for arms, it has one tentacle for a tail. The Nega-Wisp Armor can detach the pincer on the tail use it to perform darker versions of the color powers. It also has a cannon hidden in the mouth of the main body that it uses for specific Wisp powers. For example, the cannon fires missiles at Sonic when using the Violet Void power. The cannon can also fire a large blast when it loses all of its Wisp powers.
Powers and abilities
Accordingly, the Nega-WIsp Armor is an exceptionally powerful robot. Dr. Eggman claimed it was invincible, and even Tails had his doubts that it could be beaten with even the combined power of himself and Sonic.
On its own, the Nega-Wisp Armor is capable of flight and can move around at super speeds that near, although not quite surpass, Sonic's speed. Its most dangerous power, however, is its ability to harvest Wisp and empower itself with their innate Hyper-go-on energies, which is an incredibly powerful energy source. In order to accomplish this, the Nega-Wisp Armor's tentacle(s) are equipped with suction powers that can suck up nearby Wisps and store them inside it. When loaded with Wisps, it can channel their different Color Powers in highly offensive ways. These include:
- Blue Cube: The Nega-Wisps Armor shoots dark-purple energy cubes into the air and brings them down on the opponent. In case they miss, they Nega-Wisp Armor can arrange them in different formations, creating barriers that move towards the opponent.
- Cyan Laser: The Nega-Wisp Armor fires deadly and extremely fast lasers from the mouth on its tentacle(s).
- Orange Rocket: The Nega-Wisp Armor shoots orange missiles enveloped in purple flames from the mouth of its tentacle.
- Pink Spikes: The Nega-Armor Armor opens its mouth and spits out purple spike balls.
- Red Burst: The Nega-Wisp Armor charges up intense flames in its mouth before spewing out a massive torrent of purple flames.
- Violet Void: The Nega-Wisp Armor detaches the head on its tentacle and turns it into a miniature black holes that sucks in everything.
- Yellow Drill: The Nega-Wisp Armor turns the head on its tentacle into a spinning drill.
In addition to using Color Powers separately, the Nega-Wisp Armor can combine them at will. The Color Power combinations it has used so far include:
- Blue Cube and Cyan Laser: The Nega-Wisp Armor uses the Blue Cube before firing the Cyan Laser into one of the energy cubes. The laser will then be redirected towards the next energy cube and so on, thus creating a laser grid.
- Blue Cube and Pink Spikes The Nega-Wisp Armor uses the Blue Cube before sending spike balls rolling towards the energy cubes with the Pink Spikes. These spike balls will roll along the energy cubes, creating more obstacles that move along with the energy cubes.
In the Nintendo DS version of Sonic Colors, the Nega-Wisp Armor has a few extra armaments. It can fire missiles and massive purple lasers from its mouth cannon, the latter which is so powerful that it requires the Final Color Blaster to be overpowered.
In Sonic Colors, after resolving to crush Sonic after he foiled his plan to enslave Sonic's world with mind control, Dr. Eggman pulled out the Nega-Wisp Armor and used it to corner Sonic and Tails at the exit elevator for Dr. Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park. After Eggman had boasted about his Nega-Wisp Armor, Sonic knocked a concerned Tails into the elevator and sent him away before engaging the Nega-Wisp Armor alone. During the battle with the Nega-Wisp Armor, Sonic managed to free enough Wisps from it in order to perform the Final Color Blaster, which allowed Sonic to destroy the Nega-Wisp Armor for good, sending the Egg Mobile in the cockpit violently into space.
The battle takes place on a seemingly endless path in 3D with three lanes for the player to Quick Step between. In the beginning, there are ten Rings which can be picked up to withstand the Nega-Wisp Armor's attacks. When the battle begins, it prepares to attack by using a vacuum to draw in nearby Wisps from the background. The Nega-Wisp Armor's attacks are based on the following Color Powers (one or several of these attacks may be used depending on how many times this boss has been hit):
- Cube: The Nega-Wisp Armor fires several energy shots into the air which land on the ground as purple cube-shaped energy containers which will damage the player on contact. The player must use the Quick Step to avoid running into them. In later stages of the fight, the Nega-Wisp Armor will fire longer arrays of cube containers.
- Spikes: The Nega-Wisp Armor fires two waves of purple spiked energy balls down all three lanes on the arena. These balls will roll towards the player and damage them on contact. The player can avoid them by jumping over them. In the heat of battle, the Nega-Wisp Armor will fire up to three waves of spiked balls.
- Laser: The Nega-Wisp Armor fires a purple laser from one of its tentacles which sweeps across the arena's path a few times. The player can avoid it by jumping over the laser. In the later stage, the Nega-Wisp Armor will perform more shots of this attack with each succeeding attack being faster than the previous.
In the later stages of the fight, the Nega-Wisp Armor will appear behind the player (the camera will shift its perspective in response to this) and attack from there. Sometimes, the Nega-Wisp Armor will combine two of the following attacks together:
- Cube and Spikes: The Nega-Wisp Armor deploys the aforementioned cube containers but will also drop the aforementioned spiked balls which will roll towards the player. Each time the spiked balls hits a cube, it will change lane.
- Cube and Laser: The Nega-Wisp Armor deploys the aforementioned cube containers in a pattern. After a delay, the aforementioned laser attack is then launched, which will be refracted from one cube into another.
After each attack interval, the Nega-Wisp Armor will be left vulnerable; the player has here a chance to skip across its tentacles with the Homing Attack and finally strike Eggman in the cockpit. The player will then gain energy for the Boost Gauge, which can be used to follow up with a Boost to attack the Nega-Wisp Armor again. Attacking the Nega-Wisp Armor will also cause it to drop Rings. Each time the Nega-Wisp Armor is hit a certain number of times, a Wisp will appear and float alongside Sonic. Afterwards, the Nega-Wisp Armor will repeat its attack patterns, but increasing the duration of how long it attacks before it becomes vulnerable again.
When the Nega-Wisp Armor is on the brink of defeat, indicated when Sonic has seven Wisps with him and Eggman is heard angrily condemning Sonic once more, the player must activate the combined Color Powers of all the Wisps Sonic has saved to perform the Final Color Blaster to finish it off.
|vs. Nega-Wisp Armor - Phase 1||Hideaki Kobayashi||4:19|
|vs. Nega-Wisp Armor - Phase 2||Tomoya Ohtani||3:40|
- Burst: The Nega-Wisp Armor gets close to the platform, charges its attack and shoots a purple flame across the screen.
- Rocket: The Nega-Wisp Armor gets under the platform and shoots five rockets; the fifth one, Sonic has to boost into.
- Drill: The Nega-Wisp Armor gets into the middle of the screen and whips the drill around the platform. It falls to the platform giving Sonic a chance to boost into it.
- Laser: The Nega-Wisp Armor's claw shoots a laser repeatedly, before charging up a final, more powerful laser, giving Sonic a chance to boost into it to let its claw shoot the Nega-Wisp Armor itself.
- Void: The Nega-Wisp Armor's claw will go to the left off the platform and begins to suck Sonic towards it. It will go to the right of the screen, shooting missiles at Sonic. The player needs to boost into it to stop the attack.
When hit enough times, the Nega-Wisp Armor is on the brink of defeat. The player must then activate the combined the Color Powers of all the Wisps he has saved to perform a final, combination attack called the Final Color Blaster to finish off the Nega-Wisp Armor.
|Nega-Wisp Armor - Phase 1||Hideaki Kobayashi||8:00|
|Nega-Wisp Armor - Phase 2||Tomoya Ohtani||3:57|
- During the Wii battle, the announcer sounds perfectly normal, but in the DS version, the announcer gets an eerie, distorted voice. The latter is probably done to imply the "Nega" aspect of the Wisps. Also, despite the Nega Wisp Armor using Nega Wisps, the announcer does not add Nega before the Wisp power, like "Nega Laser!"
- In the Wii version when you play Challenge Mode, this boss is Stage 44.
- The Cyan Laser is the only Color Power that the Nega-Wisp Armor uses in both versions of Sonic Colors.
- In the DS version, the Cyan Laser attack bounces off walls similar to how Sonic uses it.
- When the Nega-Wisp Armor recharges, it seems to suck up only White Wisps.
- In the Wii version, before the battle starts, if you run into the help marker to the left of the path, you can actually hear Tails briefly, and barely, talk in understandable language, warning Sonic that the Nega-Wisp Armor is very powerful and that Eggman is dangerous in the Nega-Wisp Armor.
- In the DS version this is not the true final battle of the game; Mother Wisp is fought afterwards, when Sonic has collected all the Chaos Emeralds.
- In the Wii version, Eggman presses a button at the same time as Sonic uses a Homing Attack on the Nega-Wisp Armor's head. This makes it seem as if the button cues Sonic's Homing Attack.
- In the Wii version, the music is split into two phases but the battle is not. Phase 2 begins after the Pink Wisp has been collected.
- Conversely, in the DS version, the second phase of the music just barely makes an appearance, only showing up when Sonic is charging up the Final Color Blaster.
- The third phase of the Death Egg Robot from Sonic Forces bears a strong resemblance to the Nega-Wisp Armor.
- Green Hover and Purple Frenzy are the only Color Powers not used in the fight.
- In the beginning of the fight in the Wii version, however, when the Nega-Wisp Armor activates the "Cube Power", the announcer says "Frenzy! Cube!" before using the Cube attack.
- Sonic Team (16 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Wii. Sega. Area/Level: Ternimal Velocity. "Dr. Eggman: This robot is special He's powered by the energy from your little friends. He is invincible. So I'd say it's been nice knowing you... but it hasn't. / Tails: I have to admit I'm a little scared. I don't think we can beat this guy."