The Needlenose (カメカ Kameka?), also known as Robot Mosquito (モスキー Mosukī?, lit. "Mosqui"), is a reoccurring enemy from the Sonic the Hedgehog series which first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog CD. They are a mosquito-based Badnik model created by Dr. Eggman that will try to skewer their foes.
Based on a mosquito, the Needlenose is one of the smallest Badniks Dr. Eggman has ever created. They have a cone-shaped body with a gray needle-like proboscis at the point of their body, two large black eyes between their body and proboscis, and white circular wings behind their eyes. Standard Needlenoses have a red body with a yellow line near their rear, though those in Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble have a gray body with a white line.
Powers and abilities
Needlenoses attempt to fly down at high speeds and puncture their target. They can be easily dodged, and can be destroyed in the air or when they are stuck in the ground after attempting to player. In the Bad Futures of Sonic the Hedgehog CD, their flight speed and reaction time are much slower due to age in the Bad Future.
Sonic the Hedgehog CD
In their debut in Sonic the Hedgehog CD, this Badnik is referred to as Robot Mosquito (モスキー Mosukī?, lit. "Mosqui"). They appear in Palmtree Panic. In gameplay, they fly in straight lines, but will immediately dive-bomb into the player to inflict damage once the player passes underneath them, although they are left stuck to the ground until they are off-screen. Regardless, the player can still dodge them.
In the Bad Future of Palmtree Panic, Robot Mosquitos will be worn down from age, showing a bend nose. These Robot Mosquitos fly a bit slower and has slower reaction times. Like other Badniks in this game, Robot Mosquitos have flowers from the Little Planet as their power source. They are also seen in the ending sequence that plays during the credits.
Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble
In Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble, this Badnik is referred to as Kameka (カメカ?). They appear in Sunset Park Zone. In this game, their color scheme is gray. Like in Sonic the Hedgehog CD, they fly along a straight line, but turn to drive into the ground as soon as the player passes underneath them. Sometimes, when Spin Jumping into a Kameka in midair, it will both damage the player and destroy this Badnik. Like other Badniks in the game, Kamekas do not have any Animal power sources.
In Knuckles' Chaotix, this Badnik is referred to as Needlenose (カメカ Kameka?). In the game's cinematic intro, four Needlenoses fly above the Newtrogic High Zone before joining Metal Sonic on his flight.
In gameplay, Needlenoses appear as enemies in Speed Slider. They fly overhead, but will dash straight down as soon as the player passes underneath, plunging their noses into the ground. Upon impacting through, they also release a pair of flashing projectiles. In this game, the Needlenoses are powered by Dark Rings.
In other media
Sonic the Comic
In the Sonic the Comic series published by Fleetway Editions, the Needlenoses are as a part of Dr. Robotnik's Badnik army. They have only made a few brief appearances during the comic's run. Between the issues, the different artists would give the Needlenose different designs, some more radical than others.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the Needlenoses are old robots from Dr. Eggman's Badnik Horde. Several of them were left behind on Isolated Island and got turned into helper robots by Dr. Ellidy.
- The "ka" (カ?) in its second Japanese name, Kameka, is Japanese for "mosquito".
- This enemy is notable for being one of the recurring Badniks of the classic era.
- It is also notable for getting a different moniker in each of its original appearances, even though it looks and behaves virtually identically every time.
- This Badnik has a different power source (if nothing at all) in all three games that it has appeared in.
- Unlike other Badniks in Sonic the Hedgehog CD, if the player does not destroy a Robot Mosquito and goes off the screen, it does not appear in same place where it was located upon returning.
- The Needlenose is very similar to the Pikmin 3 enemy Scornet.
- Knuckles' Chaotix (Genesis 32X) United States instruction manual, pg. 26
- Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble (Game Gear) Japanese instruction manual, pg. 31.
- Knuckles' Chaotix (Super 32X) Japanese instruction manual, pg. 42
- The Robot Mosquito flies slowly through the air. When it sees an enemy it swoops to attack! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD PC port help file.
- Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Sega Mega-CD) Japanese instruction manual, pg. 30.
- Knuckles' Chaotix (Sega 32X) Japanese instruction manual, pg. 42.