The Needlenose (カメカ Kameka?), also known as Robot Mosquito (モスキー Mosukī?, lit. “Mosqui”), is an enemy in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a mass-produced, mosquito-based Badnik model created by Dr. Eggman that will try to skewer their foes.
Based on a mosquito, the Needlenose is one of the smallest Badniks Dr. Eggman has ever created. They have a cone-shaped body with a gray needle-like proboscis at the point of their body, two large black eyes between their body and proboscis, and white circular wings behind their eyes. Standard Needlenoses have a red body with a yellow line near their rear, though those in Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble have a gray body with a white line.
Sonic the Hedgehog CD
In their debut in Sonic the Hedgehog CD, this Badnik is referred to as Robot Mosquito (モスキー Mosukī?, lit. “Mosqui”). They appear in Palmtree Panic. In gameplay, they fly in straight lines, but when the playable character passes underneath them, they will attempt to dart down at high speeds and puncture the playable character. Regardless, they are very easily dodged, and can be destroyed in the air. Also, after attempting to dive-bomb the playable character, they will be helplessly stuck in the ground, leaving them vulnerable to attack.
Unlike other Badniks in Sonic the Hedgehog CD, if the player does not destroy a Robot Mosquito after it has landed on the ground and goes off the screen, it does not come back upon returning.
In the Bad Future of Palmtree Panic, Robot Mosquitos will be worn down from age, showing a bend nose. These Robot Mosquitos fly a bit slower and has slower reaction times, significantly reducing any threat they pose. Like other Badniks in this game, Robot Mosquitos have flowers from the Little Planet as their power source. Several Robot Mosquitos also appear during the ending sequence that plays during the credits, attempting to dive-bomb Sonic.
Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble
In Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble, this Badnik is referred to as the Kameka (カメカ?). They appear in the skies of Sunset Park Zone. In this game, their color scheme is gray. Like in Sonic the Hedgehog CD, they fly along a straight line, but will turn to drive into the ground as soon as the player passes underneath them. Sometimes, because of their placement around the wind turbines in Sunset Park Zone, the player may end up taking damage from attempting to attack them in the air as they will often have their Spin Jump cancelled by the turbines. Like other Badniks in the game, Kamekas do not have any Animal power sources (or any visible power source for that matter).
In Knuckles' Chaotix, this Badnik is referred to as Needlenose (カメカ Kameka?). In the game's cinematic opening sequence, four Needlenoses are shown flying above the Newtrogic High Zone before joining Metal Sonic on his flight.
In gameplay, Needlenoses appear as enemies in Speed Slider. Much like in Sonic the Hedgehog CD, they fly overhead, but will dash straight down as soon as the player passes underneath, plunging their noses into the ground. Upon impacting the ground through, they also release a pair of flashing projectiles. In this game, like all of the Badniks featured in Knuckles' Chaotix, the Needlenoses are powered by Dark Rings.
Powers and abilities
Needlenoses attempt to fly down at high speeds and puncture their target. They can be easily dodged, and can be destroyed in the air or when they are stuck in the ground after attempting to player.
In other media
Sonic the Comic
In the Sonic the Comic series published by Fleetway Editions, the Needlenoses are as a part of Dr. Robotnik's Badnik army. They have only made a few brief appearances during the comic's run. Between the issues, the different artists would give the Needlenose different designs, some more radical than others.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the Needlenoses are old robots from Dr. Eggman's Badnik Horde. Several of them were left behind on Isolated Island and got turned into helper robots by Dr. Ellidy.
- The "ka" (カ?) in its second Japanese name, Kameka, is Japanese for "mosquito".
- The Needlenose's Japanese name in Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble ("Kameka"), which literally means "mosquito mecha", is derives from the Needlenose's original concept art for Sonic the Hedgehog CD.
- This enemy is notable for being one of the recurring Badniks of the classic era.
- It is also notable for getting a different moniker in each of its original appearances, even though it looks and behaves virtually identically every time.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Knuckles' Chaotix (Genesis 32X) United States instruction manual, pg. 26.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble (Game Gear) Japanese instruction manual, pg. 31.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Knuckles' Chaotix (Sega 32X) Japanese instruction manual, pg. 42.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Robot Mosquito flies slowly through the air. When it sees an enemy it swoops to attack! - Sonic the Hedgehog CD PC port help file.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Sega Mega-CD) Japanese instruction manual, pg. 30.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog CD concept artwork.