Naoto Ohshima (大島 直人 Ōshima Naoto?) is a Japanese artist and former Sega employee who designed the characters of Sonic the Hedgehog and Dr. Eggman. Ohshima gained notoriety at Sega for creating characters and playing integral roles in the development of games like Phantasy Star, Sonic the Hedgehog, NiGHTS into Dreams..., and Sonic Adventure. He used to be credited under the nickname "Big Island", which is a literal translation of his family name.
After leaving Sonic Team, he formed an independent game company with former Sega employees called Artoon, and later Arzest, of which he is currently Vice President. During his time at these companies he has been involved with various games including Blinx: The Time Sweeper and its sequel, Blinx 2: Masters of Time & Space, Yoshi's Island DS, Terra Battle and the Nintendo 3DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
- Phantasy Star — Design
- NiGHTS into Dreams... — Director, visual designer, character designer
- Silent Hill — Effect Programmer
- Blinx 2: Masters of Time and Space — Director
- Yoshi's Island DS — Producer
- Sonic Adventure (CG movie producer)
- The Super Sonic code in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (4, 1, 2, 6) contains Naoto Ohshima's birthday, 26 January 1964.
- Before they released, Naoto Ohshima devoted fan artwork to both Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces on his Twitter page.
- Naoto Ohshima at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.