In the mansion, the teams face even more strange things. Hallways go in infinite circles before straightening out, skeletons with mischievous smiles on their faces hide behind doors that go nowhere, paintings come to life as robots emerge from the walls, and huge spiderwebs hang above bottomless pits. Taking the Trolley mid-way through the stage reveals that it is built underground alongside a massive cave. There is a well in the mansion's center that opens up into a distorted, multicolored pocket dimension filled with pumpkin ghosts.
The pocket dimension has a strange water-like background inside of the well that changes color with the appropriate formation. Once the three formations are completed, the team (Sonic or Dark) arrive on the outside of the mansion in a giant reservoir with a Goal Ring in the center.
After managing to get inside of the creepy fortress, Team Sonic must escape the mansion located within to intercept the Egg Fleet. Team Dark must escape to interrogate Dr. Eggman. Team Rose must escape to rescue Froggy and Chocola. Team Chaotix must put out the 60 red torches in the mansion to escape. When the level is beaten by Team Dark or Team Sonic, players will find themselves standing in a giant, ghostless, calm reservoir on top of Hang Castle.
- Escape the haunted castle!
- Get to the goal ring within 7 minutes!
- Escape the crazy castle!
- Defeat 100 enemies!
- Escape the haunted house!
- Collect 200 rings!
- Blow out all the red torches!
- Blow out all of the blue torches!
|Team Sonic||Team Dark||Team Rose||Team Chaotix|
- Aside from the access to the Team Chaotix edit for Rail Canyon exclusively used for that team, this is the only stage where all teams start at the exact same point.
- In the very first room, there is a picture of the whale-shaped island from Seaside Hill.
- The ring hallways cannot be accessed by Team Rose or Team Sonic on normal mode. However, Team Sonic can access the hallways in Super Hard Mode, but there are only comments made in those locations for Team Chaotix. The only location that has voice clips regarding another Team Chaotix area is at the spider web room near the lobby.
- The E-1006 Egg Hammer appears when the player falls off the edge which leads teams downstairs from the hallways in Super Hard Mode.
- Every time the player enters a room where the door has the usual skulls, another part of the level's music will be added until the player gets the full skull.
- The skeletons in Mystic Mansion resemble Jack Skellington, the main character from the Tim Burton made Disney film, The Nightmare Before Christmas. They also resemble the skeletons from Corpse Bride, another film made by Tim Burton.
- Team Rose is the only team to have another door located in three rooms with the giant skeleton statue, with this being how they escape the castle.
- The standard pose of the giant skeleton resembles the skeleton in the stage select screen from Golden Axe, which also appears in Adder's Lair.
- The doors are placed in the hexagonal cornered rooms in Team Chaotix's mission, with one being in the fan room to block the player from getting to the skeleton room, with collision detection behind the door as well to prevent glitching through it. Another is in the room with the hole to the well, placed to block the team from going into the wall crossing area.
- The three colors of the pocket dimension's areas represents the colors of the team formations; blue for Speed Type, yellow for Fly Type, and red for Power Type.
- The mipmap textures used for the GameCube, PC, and Xbox versions are not seen in the PlayStation 2 version. One mipmap texture has the skulls on the floor with bat decorations on it, and the others are blue walls that do not have Terror Hall's green coloring on them.
- In addition, the PlayStation 2 version uses a simpler texture effect for the pocket dimension area of the stage. A static texture that resembles a simple water surface pattern flows across the surfaces, as opposed to the dynamic special effect that resembles a rippling watery surface.
- It is possible for Team Rose to explore beyond their Goal Ring. At the skeleton part near the end of the stage, the player should hit the switch on the left side so the skeleton's hand is closer to the Goal Ring. They then must Rocket Accel off the stage and instantly switch to Cream and fly onto his head. The player must then use Cream to get through the hole in the wall to reach Team Sonic's portion of the stage. To get to Team Chaotix's section, the player should not touch the switch in the room with the second fan. Instead, they must glide to the top of the door, belly flop and then cancel the move by switching to Cream, and fly to the area. To reach the spider web room using this team, a Flower glitch is required to be active and the torches must be lit in the lobby room with the Heavy-Egg hammer. The player must then jump onto the flower in the robot statue and picture room.
- The music is split into six different segments that change depending on where the player is in the stage. The first segment is exclusive to the starting point of the stage, and the pocket dimension has an exclusive segment as well. These tracks will loop endlessly until the player moves to the next area with a different music segment.
- This is the only stage in the game which features this segmented structure.
|"STAGE 12 : MYSTIC MANSION"||Naofumi Hataya, Jun Senoue||2:43|