- For the version of this character after the Super Genesis Wave, see Ben Muttski.
Muttski is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. He is a Mobini pet dog belonging to Sonic the Hedgehog and his family. Following Dr. Ivo Robotnik's takeover, Muttski was robotcized and became an enemy to Sonic and the Knothole Freedom Fighters until he was freed and returned to live with Sonic again before later being deroboticized.
After Dr. Ivo Robotnik had successfully launched his coup and began consolidating his power, Muttski was captured by Robotnik's forces, alongside Charles, during the time Charles was running his chili dog stand. Muttski was soon after Roboticized following his capture and became one of the dictator's mindless slaves.
During Sonic's time as one of the Knothole Freedom Fighters, Muttski was one of Sonic's more feared antagonists because Sonic did not wish to harm his faithful pet. For years, Muttski remained an emotionless automaton in the service of Robotnik, until he was liberated and regained his free will after Sonic's final battle with Robotnik, which ended in Robotnik's death. Taking up residence in Knothole, Muttski once again became Sonic's close companion and came to live with him, Jules, Bernie and Charles in their new home, though Muttski remained a robot.
Like the majority of the Robians on Mobius, Muttski was taken away from the planet by the Bem and was successfully deroboticized. Three weeks later, Muttski was returned to Mobius, where he was reunited with Sonic in Deerwood Forest, and later the rest of Sonic's family. When Sonic returned from his year-long absence in space (six weeks to Sonic), Muttski's bond with Sonic underwent an improving development, due to an alien implant installed in Sonic's ear that allowed him to understand and speak foreign language. This device translated Muttski's normal inaudible woofs into proper speech that Sonic could understand, allowing Sonic to communicate with Muttski and understand responses.
Following the destruction of Knothole, Muttski took up residence in New Mobotropolis with Sonic's family and continued his life with them, right up until the Super Genesis Wave changed the world.
- Note: From this point, Muttski's history continues from his new life in the altered timeline.
Muttski is a very compassionate and affectionate pet towards Sonic and Sonic's adoptive brother Tails. When Muttski "talks", he speaks in third-person, like: "Muttski is happy to have you home again."
- Although Muttski is one of several characters to originate from the Sonic the Hedgehog TV series, he only appeared in the pilot episode in his Roboticized form.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #32, "Blast From the Past"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #43, "The Dream Zone"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #50, "The Big Goodbye"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #123, "The Last Robian"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #134, "Home: Epilogue Say You Will"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #175, "Eggman Empire"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #247, "At All Costs Part One: Fate Interrupted"