The multiverse refers to the collection of alternate universes and dimensions that share a universal hierarchy. These include different versions of the same dimension or vastly different ones, often accessible only through advanced science or powerful magic.
The Prime Zone is the center of the multiverse, with all other zones surrounding it being derived from their Prime counterpart. The amount of alternate zones in the multiverse was unknown, possibly infinite, but all were previously monitored and protected by the Zone Cops Corps of the No Zone.
There are other multiverses that exist independently from the one containing Mobius, such as the dimension of Mega Man's World and possibly an unnamed world inhabited by various superheroes. Normally, these multiverses are incapable of contacting each other, and it has only been through extensive efforts by villains, such as those of Dr. Eggman or Dr. Wily, that it has become possible.
The current multiverse ceased to exist when Dr. Eggman launched the Super Genesis Wave in conjunction with Dr. Wily, causing the Prime Zone to be irreversibly rewritten and the multiverse surrounding it to collapse in on itself, destroying every prior known reality (with the exception of the Special Zone and the Sol Zone, the latter due to the Jeweled Scepter) and creating new ones in their place.
- In a previous Q&A, Ian Flynn indicated that if the Prime Zone were to be destroyed, no other alternate zones would come into existence. This was in response to a query inspired by the release of the recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated film, Turtles Forever, in which the original Mirage Comics universe was deemed "Turtle Prime" and that, if it was destroyed, all others would follow.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Cosmic Interstate"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #11, "The Good, the Bad and the Hedgehog!"
- ↑ Sonic Super Special #8, "Zone Wars: Prelude"
- ↑ Sonic Super Special #10, "Zone Wars: A Tale of Two Hedgehogs"
- ↑ Sonic Talk #19: Ask Ian Part Duex (6 May 2013). Retrieved on 30 May 2015.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Sonic Super Special #7, "Parallel Paradigm"
- ↑ Mega Man #24, "When Worlds Collide Part One: Kindred Sprits"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #51, "When Worlds Collide Part Two: Mistaken Identities"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #248, "When Worlds Collide Part Three: No Holds Barred"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #251, "When Worlds Collide Finale: Best of the Best"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #256, "Countdown to Chaos Finale: The Princess and the Hammer"
- ↑ Ian Flynn (22 March 2015). Ask Ian - Year End Bonanza Thingie. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 26 July 2015.