- For the version of this character after the Super Genesis Wave, see Motobug (Archie).
The Motobug (created 3235), also written as Moto Bug, is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It is one of the original Classic Badniks. Largely ineffective against Sonic the Hedgehog, they were only useful as scouts. Motobug's model ended up in the Robo Hobo Jungle with the other outdated droids. One Motobug model was also located in the Island of Misfit Badniks, though this was destroyed by the Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters. The remaining Motobugs now act as waiters in Mammoth Mogul's casino.
Motobug was one of Dr. Ivo Robotnik's Badniks and was merely just a messenger who spied on the Knothole Freedom Fighters and reported back to Robotnik. One time it reported that Sally Acorn and Sonic the Hedgehog were having a wedding, but it was just a play starring them. Motobug also joined in the fight but was wrecked badly.
Robo Hobo Jungle
After Sonic being Roboticized and turned into Mecha Sonic, Motobug and the other Badinks were decommissioned and sent to Robo Hobo Jungle. After Sonic was De-Roboticized and went to the jungle to arrest Nack the Weasel he and the other Badniks attacked him but was quickly defeated.
Island of Misfit Badniks
After that incident, they were relocated to Island of Misfit Badniks were Sonic came to explore but was captured but escaped and quickly beat him up with the rest but Pseudo-Sonic and Sonic went around the island charging at each other wrecking Psuedo-Sonic and sinking the island with the Badniks faking their deaths. Motobug in the sea was seen hearing about the repairing of Pseudo-Sonic by Crabmeat. But both were ambushed by Bottlenose of the Forty Fathom Freedom Fighters and Motobug fell into Bivalve and was crushed by his jaws while the others were toppled by the rest and was crushed by Fluke into a cube with the island. Motobug refugees were last seen working for Mammoth Mogul as butlers in his Casino Night Zone.
Motobug reappeared in Green Hill Zone during the events of "Genesis." In this reality though, there was more than one Motobug and they were all created by and serving under Dr. Eggman. It was the first Badnik that Sonic ran into while investigating the disappearance of animals. He then met a group of Motobugs, and one of them tried to attack Sonic. He easily destroyed them and animals came out from inside of them, which answered Sonic's question of what happened to the animals.
When the second Genesis Wave was launched, the Motobugs again became the creations of Dr. Eggman. A Moto Bug briefly teamed up with a Mettaur when Eggman and Wily made a bet to see which robot would take down Dr. Light first. However, both robots had walked into each other, and thus began to fight each other instead. The robots would eventually destroy each other and Dr. Light would make a transmitter from their parts.
- Note: From this point, the Motobugs' history continues from their new life in the altered timeline.
- The Motobug is based on the beetle based badnik of the same name from the Sonic video games. They the first badniks encountered in the entire Sonic video game series.
- Up until Sonic the Hedgehog #226, the only time Motobug's claws have been used effectively was in an Off-Panel in Sonic the Hedgehog #147, where a long retired Motobug bonked writer Mike Gallagher and artist Dave Manak in the heads, and then punctured their superhero stomachs. However Off-Panel is not considered to be canon.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #40, "Court-martial"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #18, "Wedding Bell Blues!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #170, "The Island of Misfit Badniks!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #185, "Misfit Badniks: The Soggy, Salty Sequel"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #187, "Mister Popular"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #226, "Genesis Part One: In the Beginning..."
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #250, "When Worlds Collide Part Nine: All-Out War!"