About the size of Classic Sonic, the Missile Pods are simple boxes with no limbs. They have mostly red corners with dark gray recesses down their middle and similar thin recesses around the upper half. They also have a gray top surface with a small opening through which they deploy their missiles. The missiles themselves are red, cylindrical rockets with gray, square-like markings, orange U-shaped markings, and a red light for a nose.
The Missile Pods appear exclusively in Iron Fortress. In gameplay, they stay in one spot from where they attack by firing fast-moving missiles. These missiles, once deployed, will fly up and spin around in midair before locking onto Classic Sonic's position and launching themselves towards that spot. Should Classic Sonic and the missile collide, the player will take damage. However, before the missile has locked on and while it's spinning, the player can safely jump through them. While the red boxes can be destroyed with any regular attack, it will not stop their missiles once they are deployed.
Powers and abilities
The Missile Pods are able to launch a limitless series of homing missiles.
- Missile Pods and their missiles function properly in 3D, if placed there by modifying the game.
- While not listed in any instruction manuals or games, the internal files in Sonic Forces refer to this object as Missile Pod.
- Flynn, Ian; Sega (8 December 2021). "Sonic Forces". Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia. Dark Horse Books. p. 262. ISBN 978-1506719276. "Missile Pod - Boxes full of surprises! Deadly surprises."
- Infinite Force (9 May 2018). Sonic Forces Sunset heights Remastered (WIP 1). YouTube. Retrieved on 11 May 2018.
- Parax (8 November 2017). Sonic Forces Sunset heights Remastered (WIP 1). YouTube. Retrieved on 11 May 2018.