In other media
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
In the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series, Tails is a "four and a half"-year-old kid and the adopted younger brother of Sonic the Hedgehog. When he was just an infant, Miles stumbled across Sonic and convinced him to let him stay with him. Because Miles hated his name, Sonic gave him the nickname "Tails." In the years that followed, Tails remained at Sonic's side, becoming a Freedom Fighter, and together they would defend the citizens of Mobius from Dr. Ivo Robotnik and his lackeys Scratch and Grounder.
In this media, Tails is very innocent and naïve, leaving him susceptible to getting caught by villains. As such, Sonic often has to rescue Tails, though he is not completely helpless. Also, while not highly intelligent, he has proven himself a mechanical genius, coming up with inventions stunning even brilliant minds.
Sonic the Hedgehog (TV Series)
In the Sonic the Hedgehog television series, Tails is a ten-year-old and big-hearted kid, and a close friend of the Knothole Freedom Fighters, who he views as his adopted family. He especially looks up to Sonic in every way and sees him as a big brother figure.
During the tyrannical rule of Dr. Robotnik, Tails was often left behind in Knothole while the Freedom Fighters went on missions to stop Robotnik because he was too young. Tails, however, often expressed his desire to be involved in the freedom fighting cause which would make him jump into things too fast. After Tails came up with a plan that saved the Freedom Fighters and secured them one of the revered Deep Power Stone, however, he was decreed a real Freedom Fighter by Sally.
Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie
In Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, Tails lives on Planet Freedom, where he is one of the defenders of the Land of the Sky alongside Sonic, protecting it from Dr. Robotnik and his evil forces. He lives together with Sonic on their own private island.
One day, Tails and Sonic were unexpectedly called by Dr. Robotnik to defeat an evil robot named Metal Robotnik and save the world from utter destruction. This was, however a trick on Robotnik's behalf so the evil doctor could copy Sonic's data for his Hyper Metal Sonic robot. After the doctor's plan worked, Tails, along with their friends and allies, aided Sonic to combat the new enemy and save Planet Freedom.
In the anime series Sonic X, Tails originates from a parallel version of Earth in another dimension. While shy at times, he can be very brave and strong in his words. On his world, Tails befriended Sonic when fixing up his bi-plane. During one of their battles against Dr. Eggman however, an accidental large-scale Chaos Control send Tails, Sonic, Dr. Eggman, and their friends to the human world. After landing on this world, Tails reunited with Sonic and befriended Christopher Thorndyke and his family, especially fellow inventor Chuck Thorndyke, who he forms a close friendship with.
On this new world, Tails and his friends fought against Dr. Eggman as the doctor attempted to conquer the planet. After living with Chris for a while, Tails set out on his own and build his own lab. In the end, though, Tails and everyone else from his world were forced to return home as their presence threatened to freeze time. As such, Tails and Chuck built a portal for them to return to their own world with.
Six months after returning home, Tails and his friends teamed up again to fight the impending threat of the Metarex, an alien race of cyborgs who were a threat to the entire galaxy. Along the way, Tails found a love interest in Cosmo, a plant-like alien girl. In the final battle with the Metarex, however, Tails was forced to sacrifice Cosmo to stop them, much to his sorrow. Upon returning to their home planet, Tails rejoined Sonic as they resumed their ongoing battles with Eggman.
In the Sonic Boom franchise, Tails is the pilot, gadget specialist, strategist and overall brains of Team Sonic, a group of heroes who protects Seaside Island and the earth at large from Dr. Eggman and his legion of robots. He is Sonic's faithful friend and sidekick, with a mind furnishing with dreams of epic inventions to make life easier, though they do not always turn out as intended.
Sonic the Hedgehog (film)
Main article: Tails (Paramount)
Sonic the Hedgehog (manga)
In the Sonic the Hedgehog serialized manga series published by Shogakukan, Tails is one of the main characters. Like many other incarnations, he is the sidekick of Sonic the Hedgehog as he pursues him everywhere and helps him in numerous battles against Dr. Eggman. Tails is also a good friend of Nicky (Sonic's alter-ego) and Amy. He hangs around with them in Hedgehog Town without knowing Nicky is Sonic. During his introduction in the CoroCoro comics, Tails also wears sunglasses and owns a sports car. Occasionally, Tails also gets into trouble, but Sonic is able to save him each time.
Sonic the Comic
Tails also appears in the British Sonic the Comic, published by Fleetway, where he hails from the Nameless Zone, a region which can apparently only be accessed by a space warp. He traveled to the Emerald Hill Zone after mistakenly believing that the streets were paved with real emeralds. Once on Mobius he met and befriended Sonic, eventually becoming his sidekick. While he is self-conscious, Tails has proven time and again (and openly stated) that he is much tougher than some people may think.
Tails frequently starred in his own solo adventures, occasionally back in his native Nameless Zone or in the Chemical Plant Zone. Over time he built up an extensive rogues gallery including the brutal Trogg, the psychotic robot Nutzan Bolt, Fleabyte the bounty hunter and the gangster Max Gamble, as well as allies such as Errol Blackthorn and Morain, and Sab. He also fought many criminals after the defeat of Robotnik, defended the Casino Night Zone and its people from Brutus' Badniks, and was chosen by Sonic to protect the planet while he went after Robotnik during the Planet In Peril/Game Over story.
Tails was born Miles Prower to Amadeus and Rosemary Prower on the day of Dr. Ivo Robotnik's takeover of Old Mobotropolis. While still an infant, he was spirited away to Knothole where he was looked after by Rosie Woodchuck. Starting intuitive for his young age, Miles latched onto a charismatic Sonic and dreamed of becoming a Freedom Fighter. Over time, he earned the nickname "Tails" from his mutation: a pair of tails. While Sonic and the other children became the Knothole Freedom Fighters to fight against Robotnik's tyranny, Tails was only made a junior member and was deemed too young to participate in their missions. With time and experience, however, Tails earned his position among the Freedom Fighters as both a fighter like Sonic, but also an inventor like Rotor, and became a prominent member of the team who would assist actively in the war against Robotnik and later Dr. Eggman. Throughout it all, though, he continues to be at Sonic's side through even the toughest of times. During his adventures, Tails discovered that it was his destiny to become the "Chosen One" of the Ancient Walkers meant to fulfill an ancient prophecy. Under the guiding hand of Athair, Tails has accomplished many great tasks in the fulfillment of his destiny such as stopping Mammoth Mogul and bringing forth the Great Harmony, but his true destiny has proven elusive.
Following the Super Genesis Wave, Tails was given a brand new past to more closely align with his game counterpart's.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing, Tails is the best friend and sidekick to Sonic. In the aftermath of a full scale war against Dr. Eggman's army to take back the planet, Tails and Sonic discovered the doctor's Badnik army becoming more organized, even though Eggman was nowhere to be found.
Tails was awarded "Best New Character" in Electronic Gaming Monthly's 1992 video game awards, stating "not only is he as cute as Sonic, but he actually serves a major purpose in the game." He was also cited as being the second best Sonic character in the Official Nintendo magazine.
- "I hate it when he doesn't listen to me."
- —When Sonic ignored Tails about the Egg Carrier transforming in Sonic Adventure.
- "My name is Miles Prower, but everyone calls me Tails."
- —Tails when starting his recap in Sonic Adventure 2.
- "Sonic actually asked me for the first time to do something for him. I won't let him down! I WON'T GIVE UP!"
- —Tails about to fight Eggman after Sonic's apparent demise in Sonic Adventure 2.
- "What have you done to Sonic!? I'll never forgive you for this!"
- —Tails after Eggman shoots Sonic into space, Sonic Adventure 2.
- "What are we gonna do, Sonic?"
- —Tails' reaction to Eggman's threat in Sonic Heroes.
- "It's hard to keep up with Sonic..."
- —Tails when standing still for a while in Sonic Heroes.
- "I'll do my best!"
- — Tails before starting a race in the Sonic Riders trilogy.
- "I'm gonna fly circles around you!"
- —Before starting a race in Sonic Rivals 2.
- "It may not look like it, but I have been training with Sonic!"
- —Tails in response to Rouge when she wondered how he caught up to her quickly in Sonic Rivals 2.
- "When we turned to look around, the race was over and we already won."
- —Tails saying to Omochao how easy it was to beat Team Rose in the Grand Prix of Sonic Free Riders.
- "Well, I'm totally pleased, and a little nauseous, I grabbed a bite at the Bucket-o-Sushi... his cruelty knows no bounds."
- —Tails talking about a restaurant in Eggman's amusement park.
- "Good job to you on inventing a translator that allowed us to speak to the aliens and figure out exactly what we needed to do so we weren't running around the park looking like idiots. Oh no wait, that was me."
- —Tails speaking sarcastically when Sonic said that Tails didn't do anything at the end of Sonic Colors.
- "Thanks, Sonic! I thought I was dead! Floating without a body in a black limbo... (shudders) I'm gonna have nightmares for weeks."
- —Tails after Sonic rescues him at Green Hill in Sonic Generations.
- "Wow, you weren't kidding when you said soon! I thought you already left!"
- — Tails when he first encounters with Classic Sonic in Sonic Generations.
- "Mmm... Not to me, but this place looks like something sucked all the life and color out of it. Totally strange."
- —Tails talking to Sonic about the strange area they went through (not realizing that it was Green Hill) in Sonic Generations.
- "I've built a TV out of paperclips and reprogrammed a super computer using dishwashing detergent and a toothpick. (...) So look, fixing a propeller on a bi-plane? That's about as difficult as taking a nap."
- —Tails after fixing the propeller of the Tornado in Sonic Lost World.
- "Well, there you go folks! The motion is passed unanimously!"
- —Tails after nearly everyone raised their hands for agreeing that Eggman is a total "bonehead".
- "Sorry you got stuck with a voice chip that looks like it was built by a two-year-old!"
- —Tails insulting Eggman after fixing Cubot's voice chip.
- "In hindsight, I've got to agree with you, Doc. Thanks for the save. Um... Can you get off me now?"
- —Tails after Eggman saves him from Cubot infused with a Crabmeat battle-bot.
- "Heck! It's good to see ANY Sonic."
- —Tails meeting Classic Sonic again in Sonic Forces.
- In Sonic Adventure, Tails' theme song is called "Believe in Myself", which is a soft rock theme.
- In Sonic Adventure 2, Tails' theme song is a remake of "Believe in Myself", which has a pop rock tune and rearranged lyrics.
- In Sonic and the Black Knight, if you go to the Blacksmith's, a short, soft instrumental version of "Believe in Myself" will play.
- In Team Sonic Racing, Tails' theme is "Team Ultimate: Tails", a remix of the Sonic Adventure 2 version of "Believe in Myself" that plays during his Team Ultimate.
- In Sonic Adventure, Tails shares "Open Your Heart" with the other main characters.
- In Sonic Heroes, Team Sonic's theme is called "We Can", and refers to Tails in the line "Tails keeps us flying high to stay out of trouble".
- In Sonic Riders, Tails' team theme, shared with Sonic and Knuckles, is an instrumental one called "High Flying Groove".
- In Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, Tails' theme is "Un-Gravitify" shared with Sonic and Knuckles.
- Tails' possession of two tails is derived from the mythological kitsune (Japanese for "Fox") from common Japanese folklore. The kitsune is said to be capable of growing multiple tails - nine tails at maximum - with it being said that the more tails it has, the more old, wise and powerful it is.
- His real name "Miles Prower" is a pun on "miles per hour", a reference to the famed speed of the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
- To celebrate Tails' 25th anniversary, Tails' original creator Yasushi Yamaguchi posted an artwork of the character along with several facts about Tails. He explained the secret image of Tails from Sonic the Hedgehog CD features a car because at the time Sonic had a specific favorite car model, the "Lamborghini Countach". The artist decided that Miles should have a favorite car too, so he chose the "Lotus Super Seven". The same car can also be seen in an illustration used for Sega Saturn testing.
- Tails' outstanding speed is partially due his training with Sonic.
- During his first appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Tails' fur was orange in color, but the color was changed to yellow-orange in Sonic Adventure artwork, and light-yellow for Sonic Heroes.
- Tails and Eggman are the only characters who are addressed by their nicknames, with their full names of "Miles Prower" and "Doctor Ivo Robotnik" being used far less.
- Tails is the youngest character to have a Super State.
- His fur color seems to vary a little bit from every game, from orange in-between Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the Hedgehog 3, to brown in both Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog animated series, to golden yellow in Sonic Adventure, to being orange in Sonic Adventure 2 and to yellow in Sonic Heroes.
- As proven in Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Heroes and Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Tails seems to get dizzy easily and feels pretty uncomfortable when he gets dizzy. This is an inconsistency concerning the character, due to his "Rapid Tail Spin" attack in Sonic Adventure and the Spin Dash attack.
- Tails appears to have phasmophobia, a fear of ghosts, first made apparent in Sonic Heroes.
- Sonic Underground is the only Sonic cartoon series in which Tails does not make an appearance.
- In issue #188 of the GameInformer magazine, Tails had the #6 worst video game character name, mainly because of the "miles per hour" joke.
- The September 2010 issue of GameInformer magazine elected Tails as the 10th "Most Disgustingly Cute" Video Game Character.
- All of Tails' solo theme songs are "Believe in Myself" or some kind of remixed version.
- As seen in Sonic Colors, Tails can read binary fluently, although it was shown later that the codes were in Hexadecimal.
- Nintendo Power magazine had a poll asking which sidekick people would choose, with Tails being the second most picked.
- In Sonic Adventure, in the cutscene after the Egg Carrier shoots down Sonic and Tails (if playing Tails' story), it shows a flashback where Tails is walking in the jungle of Mystic Ruins and Sonic speeds by, with Tails running right behind him (a reference to how they met). The Mystic Ruins is used for this scene, rather than having to develop an entirely different environment that would only be used once.
- Modern Tails' artwork in Sonic Generations looks very similar to his artwork in Sonic Advance 3, whereas his Classic artwork appears to be completely new.
- It would be physically impossible for Tails to fly, due to his tails having to twist. However, if one slows down footage of him spinning his tails to fly/move, they do not actually turn through morphing of the model, but actually mesh through each other. This minor inconsistency would not normally be noticeable at normal speed, though.
- Unlike Sonic's classic form, Classic Tails speaks in Sonic Generations.
- Even though Tails is one of the fastest characters in the series, he is a Skill Type in the Mario & Sonic series, due to the fact that there can only be two characters per type; Sonic and Shadow are faster, and Tails is still one of the main characters. This is also the case for Eggman.
- Tails has the most voice actors out of all of the characters, with nine English voice actors (counting his TV show and movie appearances). Often times, Tails was cast with young boy voice actors to provide a genuine youthful male voice for the role, although this would always cause the need to recast him once the voice actor's voice matured too far to continuing voicing him. In recent years, Tails has been voiced by females, in order to avoid the aforementioned issue.
- A bonus wallpaper, accessed from inserting the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure into a computer, shows Tails out of his trademark white-and-red shoes, and instead wearing sandals. This also reveals the shape of his feet.
- In Spiral Knights, there's a Tails costume that allows player to wear Tails' tails, along with a Metal Sonic costume.
- In Sonic Generations, Tails' Classic "pose" in the profile section is in the "pose" at the beginning of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
- In Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Tails and Sonic are the only characters in the game that can carry on different conversations via selecting different speech bubbles with the stylus.
- Despite the fact that Tails is Sonic's best friend, foxes are predators of hedgehogs in real life.
- Despite being a fox, Tails has been mistaken for a squirrel; during Nintendo Power's run, the magazine would occasionally refer to Tails as a squirrel, although typically for humorous purposes.
- Tails is the only playable character in Sonic Advance 3 who does not have dialogue.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog official Twitter. Retrieved on 2014-26-02. “Sonic the Hedgehog: We would like to express our gratitude to Kate Higgins for her many years of service as the voice of Tails. / Uncle Festive: So, is Kate no longer voicing Tails in the main series either? / Sonic the Hedgehog: Yes, Colleen Villard is the voice of Tails moving forward for all Sonic the Hedgehog titles.”
- ↑ Codex in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Tails. Sega. Archived from the original on 26 May 2019. Retrieved on 3 July 2015.
- ↑ Sonic Jam.png
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Mega Drive) Japanese instruction manual, pg. 42-43.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 media:Sonic Jam.png
- ↑ Act: 002. Archived from the original on 9 August 2016. Retrieved on 9 August 2016.
- ↑ Nintendo Feature: The best and worst Sonic characters. Official Nintendo Magazine. Retrieved on 2014-05-04.
- ↑ Sonic Channel (23 June 2006). Official Popularity Poll results (Japanese). Archived from the original on 5 October 2013.
- ↑ Yasushi Yamaguchi on Pixiv (Japanese). Pixiv (1 January 2018). “TOTOYA: 今ではなかったことになっている設定で愛車がロータス・スーパーセブンというのもソニックの愛車はカウンタックということを内部的に聞かされていたので彼にも愛車を設定しました。”
- ↑ Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (December 7, 2007). Sonic Rivals 2. PlayStation Portable. Sega. Level/area: Blue Coast Zone. "Rouge: What?! How'd you catch up so fast? / Tails: It may not look like it, but I've been training with Sonic!"
- ↑ http://www.sonicstadium.org/blog/2010/09/10/sonic-colours-orbot-cubot-art-and-more-info/