- For the version of this character before the Super Genesis Wave, see Mighty the Armadillo (Pre-Super Genesis Wave).
We change what we can. We manage what we cannot.
— Mighty the Armadillo, Sonic the Hedgehog #264
Mighty the Armadillo is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. He is a mobian eastern armadillo who travels with Ray the Flying Squirrel. He is a known ally of Sonic the Hedgehog, Knuckles the Echidna, and the Chaotix.
Mighty is a black-and-peach armadillo with a red shell. He has a black nose that is somewhat longer and more pointed than Sonic's and he has light blue eyes. For attire, he wears large black, red, and brown boots, red socks, black, fingerless gloves with red lining the finger holes and buckled brown cuffs, with bandages wrapped around his lower arms.
A student of Moss the Sloth, Mighty previously worked with Knuckles the Echidna, Heavy, Bomb and the Chaotix. He and his friend Ray the Flying Squirrel, who once teamed up with Sonic the Hedgehog, went on a number of adventures together, with one such adventure taking them far away from Angel Island at the time of the Shattered World Crisis. When the planet broke up, Mighty and Ray did their best to help out, but Mighty felt frustrated by his inability to do more.
Shattered World Crisis
- Note: From the readers point of view, this picks up from where Mighty's original timeline ended.
Having completed his training with Moss, Mighty was eager to put his new found speed and power to good use. He soon got the chance when, while in the Rocky Jungle Zone of Soumerca, he and Ray came across their old friend Sonic the Hedgehog being attacked by E-113 Xi. Ray flew Sonic to safety while Mighty dispatched the E-100 Series robot handily, and the friends soon exchanged greetings. Mighty also greeted Sonic's companions Princess Sally and Amy Rose, the former noting that she regarded him and Ray as honorary Freedom Fighters. Mighty also guessed that the trio were on a mission to help repair the damage to the planet. The pair also introduced Sonic and the gang to Mighty's mentor Moss, who sensed a darkness in Sonic that the Hedgehog had been attempting to deal with by himself. Unfortunately, the five friends were soon set upon by the Soumerca Egg Army and their Egg Boss, Thunderbolt, while attempting to recover a Chaos Emerald seized by the villains. The resulting confrontation saw the heroes hit with electrocuting projectiles that had the effect of completing Sonic's transformation into Sonic the Werehog.
As Sonic went on a rampage against the Egg Army forces, Mighty urged the others to collect the Emerald while he tried to contain his friend. After preventing Sonic from putting an end to Thunderbolt, Mighty engaged the Werehog in battle, unable to reach his friend. Fortunately, Sally and Amy were able to talk their friend down, and the heroes returned to Moss' hut. Sonic returned to normal at sunrise, but decided to remain with Moss and Mighty until he could get a handle on his transformed state. As such, Mighty aided Moss in helping Sonic learn to accept his new form rather than try to control it. Impressed by his friend's new found maturity, Sonic suggested that Mighty might make a good leader, something that Mighty was not quite so convinced of. Ray was quick to jump on the idea of forming a team of Freedom Fighters, and Moss even suggested that Mighty could take others of his students under his wing. Soon enough, Sonic learned to accept his transformed state, just in time to fight a Flying Dynamo robot, which was dispatched with Mighty and Ray's help.
Soon, Mighty and Ray helped old friends Knuckles and Amy recover two of the Master Emerald shards being held by Thunderbolt. As Knuckles confronted Thunderbolt head on, Mighty took the container holding the shards, and threw it all the way to Moss's place. Mighty then escaped Thunderbolt's base afterwards. Later, Mighty watched Sonic and Sally's broadcast, and decided to aid them in keeping the Egg Army at bay while the Freedom Fighters restored the planet.
Mighty is a heroic individual who wants to help everyone he can, much like Sonic. However, Mighty's great strength is a source of some paranoia, as he is afraid of losing control and hurting someone. This provides him with something of a temper, which grows more prevalent when he feels helpless. Like Sonic, he tends to take more upon himself than is sensible, though he also appears to possess a high sense of decorum.
Powers and abilities
As his name suggests, Mighty possesses incredible super strength, enough to let him hurl E-113 Xi with one hand and match even the strength of Sonic the Werehog. He is also quite durable as he could withstand a severe beating from Sonic the Werehog and get right back up and continue fighting him on even grounds.
Mighty can also curl up into a ball for defense.
- Ray the Flying Squirrel (best friend, close as brothers)
- Moss the Sloth
- Freedom Fighters
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Mighty's redesign was done by Archie Comics artist/writer Aleah Baker with the idea of incorporating Mighty's "rough-and-tumble adventurer" personality while visually connecting him with the Sand-Blasters. This redesign was carried over from his pre-Super Genesis Wave counterpart.
- ↑ Aleah Baker (7 February 2016). Lea's Unimportant Farewell to BK Q&A!. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 8 February 2016.
- ↑ Sonic Universe #63 - "The Great Chaos Caper - Part One: On The Hunt"
- ↑ Knuckles' Chaotix
- ↑ SegaSonic the Hedgehog
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #264 - "Control - Part One: Breaking Point"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #263 - "Waves of Change - Part Four: Divine Waters"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #265, "Control Part Two: Unleashed!"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #266, "Ambushed! Part One"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #267, "Ambushed! Part Two"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #281, "Homesick"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #282, "Shards and Sparks"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #283, "The Mission"
- ↑ Baker, Leah (24 January 2013). Mighty the Armadillo - Flex concept. DeviantArt. “The basic idea with this one was to reflect Mighty's sort of "rough-and-tumble adventurer" type while making him fit in visually with the Sand Blasters. So he's got some fingerless gloves (which is apparently a popular concept for him?) and heavier hiking boots.”