Metal Sonic (メタルソニック Metaru Sonikku?) is a secondary antagonist in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is an evil Badnik version of Sonic the Hedgehog and undoubtedly Dr. Eggman's deadliest creation, built for the sole purpose of destroying Sonic. Deployed during Eggman's operations on Little Planet, Metal Sonic confronted Sonic in battle and lost, though he would repeatedly return to challenge Sonic and his allies. Modeled with extreme accuracy after Sonic, Metal Sonic not only resembles his template but can also imitate his moves and achieve velocities matching and even exceeding that of Sonic.
While mostly serving as Eggman's obedient and silent enforcer, Metal Sonic is an intelligent machine with a very dark side. A cold-hearted, aggressive and ruthless killer, he is obsessed with proving his superiority to Sonic and eliminating him for good to the point where he has rebelled against Eggman more than once to achieve his goal. However, he always fails in the end. To this day, Metal Sonic continues to be one of Sonic's most formidable foes.
Metal Sonic was created in the image of Sonic the Hedgehog and is thus mostly built of blue metal. He has a yellow circular depression in his chest with a black center, mirroring the peach skin on Sonic's chest. His head has metal fins resembling Sonic's quills and a pair of triangular "ears." Metal Sonic has a muzzle, shoulder plates, upper arms, legs, and fingers made out of silvery metal. His palms are black, while the backs of his hands are square yellow plates. His forearms and lower legs are blue metal like his head and torso, and he has red feet with white stripes designed to resemble Sonic's shoes. He has optic sensors with black sclera and red irises.
Following Sonic Rivals 2, Metal Sonic received a slight update in design which made him taller and gave him a more ellipsoid torso. He also gained more detailed hands, a brilliant blue paint job, joints on his arms and legs, and sharper eyeholes.
Despite being built to match Sonic the Hedgehog in all aspects, Metal Sonic is vastly different from his organic counterpart in terms of personality. Rather than fun-loving, cool, and carefree, Metal Sonic is a violent, aggressive, cold-hearted, and intelligent killing machine with a large superiority complex. Early on though, he had a habit of mimicking Sonic's gesture, if not in a mocking manner. Another noticeable trait of Metal Sonic's is that he cannot talk.
While he is usually another of Dr. Eggman's mindless robot slaves, Metal Sonic possesses an AI that grants him sentience (though he is still restricted by his programming). This trait, however, has only been used by Metal Sonic to fuel his dark goals of destruction and domination and allowed his programming to evolve beyond what had been intended more than once. At most times, Metal Sonic is emotionless, and completely obedient to Dr. Eggman. Beneath this facade, however, he carries a deep desire for vengeance. When facing a foe, Metal Sonic usually remains quiet and coldly serious, making him a silent killer in a literal sense.
Metal Sonic's most dominating trait is his hatred and obsession with Sonic. Being programmed with the sole purpose of surpassing and destroying Sonic, Metal Sonic is obsessed with the belief that he is superior to Sonic in every way. He greatest desire is thus to prove to the real Sonic that he is better than him in everything and eventually defeat him once and for all. When facing Sonic, Metal Sonic is single-minded about besting Sonic, to the point of obsession; nothing else seems to matter to him except proving himself the better of the two. Though Metal Sonic has been known to claim that he has other motives behind his actions, as seen when he desired world domination, it can all be traced back to his wish of proving himself superior to Sonic, and, by extension, all others.
As Metal Sonic continued to fail in his efforts to defeat Sonic, Metal Sonic's desire to defeat Sonic evolved into a burning hatred for his doppelganger, which only made him more determined to beat Sonic, even if it meant going against his creator. As an example, after being beaten by Sonic on Little Planet and returning to Earth about a year later, Metal Sonic had developed a lethal grudge against Sonic and sought to settle the score, going as far as to challenge Sonic to a rematch in the image of their first one. With each defeat, however, Metal Sonic's hatred for Sonic has only grown stronger.
In Sonic Heroes, Metal Sonic's hatred and desire to beat Sonic reached a point that allowed him to grow beyond his original programming and gain full sentience. At this peak of his sentience, he showed himself as a ruthless, controlling, arrogant, and cunning rogue with no regard for others. Also, his desire to prove himself superior to all else led to Metal Sonic gaining an insatiable lust for power and a desire to conquer the world and establish a robot kingdom, with him as its ruler. These actions, however, merely served as a front for Metal Sonic's original purpose, which was to gain the power needed so that he could finally defeat Sonic. Shortly after his defeat in Sonic Heroes, however, Metal Sonic was stripped of his independence through the suppression of his corrupt programming by the Doctor himself, resulting in the return of Metal Sonic's former self. Despite this, Metal Sonic's independence resurfaced in Sonic Free Riders when he disguised himself as Team Dark's E-10000B, even without Dr. Eggman's knowledge and stealing the doctor's data to beat Sonic in Extreme Gear racing.
Following Metal Sonic's acquiring of full self-independence in Sonic Heroes, the robot himself descended into madness and began to adopt the twisted belief that he was the real Sonic and that the original Sonic was his copy. It is unknown whether he has maintained this part of his personality after the suppression of his sentience.
Despite his many defeats and having his beliefs shaken, Metal Sonic never gives up on his goals and will always pursue them with relentless determination and will take any means necessary, no matter how many setbacks. As long as Metal Sonic's ultimate goal is to defeat the real Sonic, Metal Sonic will always come back to face Sonic and his friends, and he will not rest until he has carried out his purpose of destroying Sonic forever and proving himself the superior of the two of them once and for all.
Powers and abilities
Modeled with extreme accuracy after Sonic the Hedgehog, Metal Sonic was made to copy Sonic's every ability, including his speed and power. On his own, Metal Sonic is able to go toe-to-toe with his template in both battle and other fields, making him one of Dr. Eggman's most powerful and skilled creations. He was once also credited as the strongest robot Eggman has ever invented, being only second to E-123 Omega, who has been called the "world's most powerful robot".
Metal Sonic shares Sonic's super speed, which he can achieve using a powerful jet engine-based propulsion system. With this system, Metal Sonic is able to beat Sonic's acceleration, who can instantly accelerate to the speed of sound, and equal Sonic's speed; on a few occasions, Metal Sonic is even able to surpass the speed of Sonic, whose highest known top speed is Mach 5. Even then, Metal Sonic can take his speed even further. By overloading his circuits, Metal Sonic is able to quadruple his speed for a limited time. Using certain techniques, he can even achieve light-speed momentarily. In addition, Metal Sonic also has Sonic's astounding kineticism, precision and reaction time to match his speed. He has profound acrobatic skills and agility, along with enhanced reflexes that lets him avoid any incoming obstacles with precise and delicate movements.
Metal Sonic has both impressive durability and physical strength. His frame consists of monocoque titanium that makes him highly resistant to damage, and he has enough strength to tear his own frame apart by hand. In addition, Metal Sonic comes equipped with several extra abilities due to his mechanoid form. These include a plasma pulse laser that he can fire from the intake on his stomach, telescopically extendable limbs, the ability to generate a seemingly impenetrable force-field, and sufficiently sharp claws. Metal Sonic can even channel internal radioactive force within him to produce powerful energy surges, and, when accelerating to maximum speed, surround himself in an energy field that lets him penetrate any substance caught in his path. Plus, by utilizing his jet engine, Metal Sonic can achieve high-speed flight in any environment; even in a damaged state, he was once capable of interplanetary travel from Little Planet to Earth.
Metal Sonic's arguably most impressive skill is his ability to replicate the abilities and skills of others, similar to a Gizoid. By scanning and copying another being's life data, be it either robots or organic creatures, Metal Sonic can immediately and flawlessly mimic other people's skills and abilities, such as Chaos Powers, ESP, super strength, invisibility, etc. This makes Metal Sonic's skillset near-indefinite. Once, Metal Sonic also demonstrated the ability to shape-shift. As a result, he can cause himself to look and sound like an exact duplicate of any lifeform or robot, wearing virtually any kind of clothing, such as when he posed as Sonic when he kidnapped Froggy and Chocola.
Being a robotic clone of Sonic, Metal Sonic can imitate several of Sonic's signature techniques. The most prominent of these include Sonic's core offensive maneuver: the Spin Attack, a technique where he curls into a concussive ball or cutting disk and directs himself at his targets. With it, Metal Sonic can shred or burrow through just about any substance given enough speed. Highly adept in Sonic's usage of this technique, Metal Sonic can utilize several variants of the Spin Attack for both ground- and aerial maneuvers, including the Spin Dash, Spin Jump, Homing Attack and the Light Speed Attack. Also, due to being modeled after Sonic, Metal Sonic has the ability to predict Sonic's moves.
Neo Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic assumed the form of Neo Metal Sonic for the majority of Sonic Heroes while he copied the other teams' data. While most of Neo Metal Sonic's abilities remain unknown, he is known to be able to shape-shift and has the ability to shoot lightning bolts from his hand.
Using the data from Team Sonic, Team Rose, Team Dark, Team Chaotix and Chaos, and as well as parts of Eggman's other machines, Neo Metal Sonic can transform himself into a super powerful version of himself called Metal Madness. In this form, Metal Sonic possesses a flamethrower, missile launchers, a whip-like tail with spikes, and claws that can shoot spikes and crystals. In this state, he is so powerful that even with the seven Chaos Emeralds, the chances of beating him was slim.
After completing his transformation as Metal Madness, Metal Sonic became Metal Overlord. In this form, he sprouts wings, thus gaining the power of flight. He also gains the ability to use Chaos Control. In this form, he becomes so powerful that even Super State users cannot harm him directly. His attacks are strong enough to stun Super State users, but not enough to penetrate their invulnerability.
By harnessing different variants of Hyper-go-on from Wisps, Metal Sonic can use specific Color Powers to transform into a certain form, such as a drill, a laser, or even an asteroid, each one possessing its own unique abilities. So far, Metal Sonic has been able to transform into the Cyan Laser, Yellow Drill, and Indigo Asteroid. However, these transformations require a steady supply of Hyper-go-on to be maintained.
Metal Sonic has a few design flaws, as a number of his own techniques can prove detrimental to his internal systems. His Ring Spark Field for example, while having a wide area of effect, uses so much energy that it deceases his mobility. There is also the V. Maximum Overdrive Attack, which fries his circuity from the overloading process and can possibly destroy him if used for too long.
- Main CPU: LIPS AI Eggman Custom Chip. Located in the head, this processor contains three output links. The internal CPU contains a system that is capable of executing mathematically logical enactment and a simultaneous analog neuro-connection between all components. In short, this allows Metal Sonic to react very quickly to certain situations.
- Sub CPU: Neo Super DFX Chip, containing a five-link system connecting to all major body components governs the power control system. A Next Risk Chip Series III, with eight basic loading ports in each eye unit, utilizes RGB imaging in the optical area.
- Frame: Monocoque titanium
- Color coating: Reinforced blue metal tektite
- Main engine: 250cc, 4-valve Orgon Fusion Engine
- Secondary engine: Tesla Power Coil which produces electricity through electromagnetic induction.
- Max power: 256 Kw
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic... I was created for the sole purpose of destroying you... But I can never seem to defeat you. That is why I transform my own body with my own hands.
— Metal Sonic, Sonic Heroes.
Sonic the Hedgehog is Metal Sonic's organic template and arch-enemy, as he was created by Dr. Eggman for the sole purpose of destroying him. Aligning with his one true purpose, Metal Sonic is fiercely determined to defeat Sonic, even after his constant defeats. Metal Sonic is one of Sonic's earliest foes and his first true rival, being able to copy both his speed and power. Both of them share a violent rivalry/enemy relationship with each other. The two of them first encountered each other during Sonic's adventure on Little Planet where the robot kidnapped Amy Rose, forcing Sonic to defeat him to save Amy, inadvertently turning Metal Sonic from one viewing him as an enemy into a bitter and deadly rival.
When Metal Sonic is revived by Eggman following Little Planet's annual return to earth, Metal Sonic has developed a lethal grudge against Sonic and sought vengeance against him. In the end though, Sonic managed to win. After that, the two have had countless fights and nearly every time they meet each other they fight ferociously, with Sonic always managing to beat or tie with Metal Sonic in the end, though not without cutting it close on most occasions. However, these defeats have only increased Metal Sonic's hatred for Sonic and endowed him with an obsession to surpass and defeat him, promoting him to repeatedly challenge Sonic in vain. At one point, Metal Sonic's hatred and obsession for Sonic pushed him over the brink, making him usurp control of the Eggman Empire to build a robot kingdom with the goal of killing Sonic. He even adopted the warped belief that Sonic was his copy and that he was the real Sonic.
While Sonic has managed to defeat Metal Sonic time and time again, he rarely condemns Metal Sonic for his villainous actions in the aftermath. Instead, he gets a satisfaction from the challenge Metal Sonic provided him with and will promise his robot double he will await their future rematches.
Dr. Eggman is Metal Sonic's creator, and Metal Sonic is the only robot of Eggman's that has come the closest to defeating Sonic. Despite Metal Sonic's loss to Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog CD, Eggman did not lose hope in Metal Sonic, and has since rebuilt him several times to accomplish his various agendas, even to the point of summoning the original back from Little Planet.
Metal Sonic eventually betrayed Eggman due to his increasing hatred for Sonic and seized the Eggman Empire for himself to rule the world, with Metal Sonic's primary objective being to destroy Sonic. It is heavily implied that Eggman regretted this outcome, as he proceeded to answer Team Chaotix's interrogation of who locked him up with a saddened tone. However, Eggman did not give up on Metal Sonic even after that, and so reprogrammed Metal Sonic into his obedient servant again after regaining possession of him. Although Metal Sonic still displays rebellious tendencies, it has not stopped Eggman from using him for different missions. In Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, Eggman and Metal Sonic share a special victory animation, where Eggman expresses his pride in Metal Sonic by patting him on the back, annoying the robot.
Shadow the Hedgehog
Shadow the Hedgehog and Metal Sonic first met each other as enemies, as the former had been working with Sonic and the rest of the teams to distract Metal Sonic in his Metal Madness form. Some time later, in Sonic Rivals 2, Metal Sonic and Shadow became partners due to Dr. Eggman calling Shadow for his assistance. Although they are together for a brief period, Shadow has been shown that he does care for Metal Sonic on some level, as he constantly asks him if he is alright. Also, at the end of the game, when Metal Sonic tears himself open to retrieve the Chaos Emerald within his body, Shadow tells him to stop out of fear that Metal Sonic would destroy himself. Shadow's concern may be due to the similar friendship he had with Omega. He also may think that he was doing this on his own intention as he only needs Eggman to speak for him. Shadow does show some deep concern for him as he even talked to Metal Sonic himself instead of Eggman.
Dr. Eggman Nega
In Sonic Rivals, Eggman Nega and Metal Sonic were allies, although it is unexplained why. It is possible that after Nega turned Eggman into a card, he reprogrammed Metal Sonic to work for him instead of Eggman. However, the alliance ended after Sonic Rivals. In Sonic Rivals 2, not only are Metal Sonic and Eggman Nega enemies, but Nega provides Metal Sonic with his own personal rival. This caused Metal Sonic to view Eggman Nega with contempt, and was determined to defeat him.
- Amy Rose
- Bark the Polar Bear
- Bean the Dynamite
- Big the Cat
- Blaze the Cat
- Charmy Bee
- Cream the Rabbit
- Dodon Pa
- Dr. Eggman (sometimes)
- Dr. Eggman Nega
- Espio the Chameleon
- E-123 Omega
- Fang the Sniper
- Jet the Hawk
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Metal Sonic 3.0
- Mighty the Armadillo
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Rouge the Bat
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Silver the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog (organic template and arch-enemy)
- Storm the Albatross
- Vector the Crocodile
- Wave the Swallow
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Metal Sonic. Sega. Archived from the original on 26 May 2019. Retrieved on 3 July 2015.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Sega Mega-CD) Japanese instruction booklet, pg. 7.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Sega of America. Metal Sonic. Sonic Characters. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 5 March 2005. Retrieved on 26 October 2017. “Metal Sonic was created by the evil genius, Dr. Eggman, and is one of Sonic's earliest foes. He is modeled with extreme accuracy after our blue hero, giving him the ability to predict Sonic's moves and match his great speed. The red-eyed Badnik first appeared in Sonic CD in 1993.”
- ↑ Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (GameCube) United States instruction booklet, pg. 19.
- ↑ Sonic Team (November 7, 2017). Sonic Forces (Episode Shadow). Nintendo Switch. Area/Level: World Map. "Infinite: Hahah. The world's most powerful robot is no more a challenge than Crabmeat."
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Sumo Digital, Feral Interactive (26 February 2010). Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (PlayStation 3). Sege, Feral Interactive. "Metal Sonic's character profile: He can mimic Sonic's spin dash and homing attack, and thanks to the jet engine in his torso, he can beat Sonic's acceleration and equal Sonic's speed! He has extra abilities however, due to his mechanoid form. These include his Ring Spark Field, telescopic limbs, and a forcefield known as the Black Shield."
- ↑ Character Introduction: Dark/ Villains for 2P battle. Archived from the original on 27 September 2011. Retrieved on 23 June 2015. “A high-performance Sonic robot which was created by Dr. Eggman. The first appearance of Metal Sonic was in Sonic CD. In order to compete with Sonic's speed, Metal Sonic is equipped with a powerful propulsion system, which allows Metal Sonic to accelerate quickly. There are no special attacks which effect his body.”
- ↑ Sega of America (March 2007). Sonic Central. Sega of America. “From Your Ultimate Fan: How fast can you go (MPH) and how long would it take you to run around the world once? Also, who could beat you in a race, Knuckles, Tails, Shadow, Cream, Rouge, Amy or Dr. Eggman? / Sonic: I have the ability to instantly accelerate to the speed of sound. That's about 760 MPH at 59*F...pretty fast, huh? The only character that would really have a chance against me would be Shadow…but then again, I've never lost a race!”
- ↑ Sega. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II Official website (Japanese). Characters: Metal Sonic. Sega. Archived from the original on 17 August 2017. Retrieved on 30 July 2015.
- ↑ Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) North American instruction manual, p. 18.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 "El arma secreta de Dr. Robotnik" (in Spanish). Hobby Consolas magazine. August 1993. p. 21. "But moreover, his rate of acceleration is 4 times higher when his circuitry is overloaded. When this happens, some interesting blue sparks take off from his body and there arises a chemical reaction called "V. Maximum Overdrive Attack". This power can break through any surface. This can't happen very often, of course, because it would mean the self-destruction of Metal Sonic. Another powerful attack Metal Sonic has is the "Ring Spark Field", a radioactive force that also has its disadvantages: the speed and energy of the robot decreases considerably."
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Very Crazy Penguin (21 May 2007). Metal Sonic profile. Very Crazy Penguin.
- ↑ Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (13 November 2007). Sonic Rivals 2. PlayStation Portable. Area/Level: Ending sequence (Shadow and Metal Sonic).
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Sega CD) Japanese instruction manual, pg. 7.
- ↑ Sonic Rivals 2 (PlayStation Portable) United States instructional booklet, p. 8.
- ↑ Knuckles' Chaotix
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II