Master Zik (マスタージーク Masutā Jīku?) is an antagonist in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is a Zeti, the founder and the oldest member of the Deadly Six, and the teacher of Zavok. When Dr. Eggman came to the Lost Hex, Master Zik and the other members of the Deadly Six were forced into serving the doctor due to the effects of the Cacophonic Conch. After Sonic the Hedgehog arrived and got rid of the conch, Master Zik and the others rebelled against Eggman and took control of his forces. Afterwards, Master Zik followed Zavok's plans to make him and the other Deadly Six stronger, by using Eggman's Extractor while destroying the earth, but was ultimately defeated by Sonic.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 History
- 3 Other game appearances
- 4 Personality
- 5 Powers and abilities
- 6 Weaknesses
- 7 Relationships
- 8 Battle
- 9 In other media
- 10 Quotes
- 11 Trivia
- 12 References
Master Zik is a blue Zeti, and the smallest of the Deadly Six by far. His head and body are indistinguishable and are of a spherical shape, with small limbs. Only Master Zik's head is sky blue, while the rest of his body is black. He wears a robe that matches the color of his torso with a torn hem on his wrists and around the waist. His short black legs end with two blue claws, with a third claw on each heel. Master Zik has five fingers on each sky blue hand, each finger tipped with a blue nail.
Master Zik has wrinkles across his forehead and lips, and a long white mustache which reaches down to his feet. He has a pair of very short horns on his head, which are colored in black and yellow rings. He is largely bald sans for a long strand of white hair. Master Zik's sclera are yellow with purple irises, while he has blue eyelids and black under-eyes. Master Zik carries a wooden staff that is taller than he is, which ends in a inward swirl at the top.
In the past, Master Zik had educated an number of disciples, the last of which was Zavok. Taking Zavok under his wing, Zik would train his student into a formidable force and teach him in various subjects. Many years ago, Zik would go on to form the Deadly Six, which Zavok would take reign over due to his excellent leadership qualities. Though he eventually went into semi-retirement, Zik remained a member and advisor to the younger Zeti.
Sonic Lost World
In the Wii U version and PC version of Sonic Lost World, Master Zik and the Deadly Six met Dr. Eggman, who enslaved them with a Cacophonic Conch. Master Zik then egrudgingly helped Eggman with his scheme for world domination by capturing Animals for an army of Badniks. Master Zik later joined Eggman and the Deadly Six for a Badnik-making lesson where Eggman told how they would help him beat Sonic the Hedgehog, before he saw Zazz leave to fight Sonic.
Traveling to Windy Hill, Master Zik and his team met Sonic, before coming with Eggman as he left Zazz to finish Sonic. Resuming the Animal hunt, Master Zik only got punished by Eggman with the Cacophonic Conch when Zavok spoke against Eggman's criticism of their efforts. Master Zik and the Deadly Six were soon after again scolded for their failures by Eggman with the Cacophonic Conch, only for Sonic to appear and get rid of the conch. Now free, Master Zik and his team took control of Eggman's Badniks and had them attack everyone present, driving Eggman, Orbot, Cubot, Sonic and Tails away.
Now free, the Deadly Six took control of Eggman's operations on the Lost Hex. As Sonic kept opposing them, Master Zik decided to deal with him himself. Though Zavok disagreed, Master Zik convinced him to let him go by outmatching Zazz and Zomom. While he lost to Sonic, Master Zik was impressed by Sonic's power. Reporting back, Master Zik was pleased to hear Zavok's plan to destroy the earth with Eggman's Extractor and use the energies it harvested to make the Deadly Six stronger, thus getting their revenge at Eggman. Master Zik later took another crack at Sonic, but lost again.
As Zavok studied Sonic, Master Zik inspired him to turn Sonic into their robotic slave since Eggman had taught them how to make robots. The Deadly Six subsequently set up a trap for Sonic, only to find Tails caught in it when it returned. While Master Zik was disappointed, he would scowl at Zor who arrived to announce the failed capture of Sonic. Master Zik later teamed up with Zazz and Zomom to attack Sonic after he avoided their first assault, only to be beaten for good despite his Extractor-enhanced strength. What happened to Master Zik afterwards is unclear.
Other game appearances
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Master Zik makes a cameo appearance as a part of the "Deadly Six" trophy which can be collected in the game.
In Sonic Runners, Master Zik made an appearance during the "Zazz Raid Event." Here, Master Zik tried to teach Zazz meditation to help him defeat Sonic. However, when he failed his training, Zazz got frustrated to the point in which he absorbed the force of the Power Rings through his fist. Later, Master Zik asked Zavok of why he encouraged Zazz to keep fighting Team Sonic since he would never be able to win. However, he was pleased to hear that Zavok's true plan was to gather data on Sonic from Zazz's battles for the Deadly Six's benefit.
Team Sonic Racing
Master Zik is the wisest of the Deadly Six, serving as a source of wisdom for his student Zavok and others. He is very perceptive and has an eye for seeing potential in others.
Normally, Master Zik takes it easy in his semi-retirement. He is most of the time very calm and in a state of peace, telling Zavok calmly not be concerned when he asked Master Zik to not trouble himself with Sonic and being impressed by Sonic despite the hedgehog being a threat to them. Likewise, he never shows any sign of distress or surprise and is never fazed by insults or taunts. Despite the air of peace around him though, Master Zik can be very firm. He has no problem about stepping into a situation to handle it himself where others cannot and he can be very strict and grimly serious when the situation calls for it. He also does not tolerate disrespect, telling Sonic repeatedly that he needs to learn respect.
Master Zik is extremely confident in the wisdom granted him by his advanced age, believing it can always triumph over strength. He also looks down upon younger, less-traveled people in general, believing youth to be wasted on them. Regardless, he does take a certain liking to those that can impress him as he smiled after seeing Sonic's fighting skills. He also thinks highly of his student Zavok, believing that Zavok would eventually come up with the same idea he had for turning Sonic into a robot slave.
Like the other members of the Deadly Six, Master Zik is inherently malicious, sadistic, and violent. An omnicidal monster, he takes a leveled joy in inflicting pain, torturing and killing others, and has no qualms about causing global genocide for his own gain. He will also gladly encourage others' genocidal ambitions, praising Zavok for his plan to destroy the world. He also comes off as vengeful, given that once he was freed from Eggman's enslavement, Master Zik launched an attack on the scientist.
Powers and abilities
Master Zik is a fighting genius, possessing unparalleled wisdom and powers as well as skills in Kung Fu. He was once regarded as the "strongest warrior" and is the one who trained Zavok into the physical powerhouse he is, suggesting he is extremely powerful. Despite being old and in semi-retirement, Master Zik's honed skills lets him fight with the strength and agility of someone a fraction of his age.
Master Zik has great reflexes and acrobatic skills; he can swiftly outmaneuver both Zazz and Zomom at the same time, is able to balance perfectly on his staff, keep his balance standing on top of giant rolling fruits, and perform body flips in a split second. He also has incredible accuracy, capable of throwing his staff next to his targets with less than a few inches distance from far away. He also has immense jumping skill, allowing him to leap high into the air and precisely across very large distances in an instant.
Master Zik possesses psychokinetic power, being able to call his wooden staff to him with a gesture and make giant fruit move through mid-air with his mind. In addition, Master Zik has the ability to project blue energy balls from his hands, and he is capable of flight.
As a Zeti, Master Zik possesses the innate ability to manipulate magnetic fields, which enables him to control electronics. This allows Master Zik to take control of robots and other kinds of machinery.
Master Zik is encountered at Tropical Coast in Sonic Lost World. In the Wii U version he is fought at Zone 2, as he rolls on a giant apple that can crush Sonic. In Zone 4, Master Zik is surrounded by fruit as Sonic must use the Homing Attack to destroy the fruit. Master Zik can also bring up a shield from the palm of his hand to block hits from Sonic.
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Master Zik and Deadly Six were enslaved by Dr. Eggman with the Cacophonic Conch, but got liberated by Sigma, a villainous robot from an alternate world. As Master Zik and the Deadly Six received power-enhancing armor from Sigma to help with his plans, they betrayed him and tried subjugating him, only for Sigma to take over Master Zik's mind using a device hidden in his armor, and had him serve as one of his commanders until the unified heroes freed him. The Deadly Six's involvement would later be erased when Xander Payne erased all the events of Worlds Unite.
In the not-so-distant future, Master Zik would be enslaved by Eggman once again.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing, Master Zik is a villainous Zeti and a member of the Deadly Six. His past is virtually identical to his game counterpart's, up until after Sonic Forces. During the Metal Virus pandemic, Master Zik and the Deadly Six took control of Dr. Eggman's Faceship and his army of Zombots with the aid of the Chaos Emeralds. Master Zik himself would then travel to Winterburg where he led his legions of Zombots. However, he was soon defeated by the Babylon Rogues, who took his Chaos Emerald. After the world's Zombots were cured, Master Zik went into hiding to find Zavok.
- "It would seem the peaceful days of tending my garden will have to wait while I take care of these matters the rest of you cannot."
- —Master Zik wanting to deal with Sonic after noting that the other Deadly Six were incapable of doing so.
- "It will be good to stretch these old bones"
- —Master Zik convincing Zavok that he could deal with Sonic
- "Follow if you dare!"
- —Master Zik's last words to Sonic during their first meeting.
- "Prepare to be tested, young one."
- —Master Zik before fighting Sonic for the first time.
- "The student has become the master."
- —Master Zik after he is defeated the first time.
- "Your lesson begins now."
- —Master Zik before fighting Sonic for the second time.
- "Did you think I've been trying up till now?!"
- —Master Zik during his second battle with Sonic.
- "Your master should be proud."
- —Master Zik after being defeated by Sonic for the second time.
- "Correct! Revenge is a dish best served cold!"
- —Master Zik while joining Zazz for his final battle with Sonic
- "This time, I will hold nothing back!"
- —Master Zik before fighting Sonic for the last time.
- "You've beaten an old man, are you proud?"
- —Master Zik after being being defeated for the last time.
- "The only reason you're seeing me is because I'm letting you!"
- —Master Zik after being hit by a Homing Attack.
- "Ngh! This arrogant youth disturbs the tranquility of my garden! I will PLUCK him like a spiny blue weed!"
- —Master Zik in Tropical Coast Zone 4.
- "Your moves are unique. Who is your master?!"
- —Master Zik after being hit during his first battle with Sonic.
- "(sigh) Youth is truly wasted on the young. Thankfully, speed cannot defeat wisdom, little hedgehog!"
- —Master Zik, Tropical Coast Zone 2.
- "My skills are sharper than your words, brash one! Your insults cannot penetrate my thick, wrinkled skin! Of course, neither can light, water, certain moisturizers..."
- —Master Zik, Tropical Coast Zone 2.
- "Heh. This little seeding will never have a chance to bloom, I'll see to that. It'll be a joy to cultivate his pain and make fertilizer out of him."
- —Master Zik, Tropical Coast Zone 2.
- "It is glorious to prepare for battle once more! I feel like I'm a hundred years old again! Perhaps when I'm finished, I'll go clubbing!"
- —Master Zik musing about his fight with Sonic, Tropical Coast Zone 4.
- "You have disrespected your elders, arrogant stripling! Now you shall reap what you have sowed."
- —Master Zik threatening Sonic, Tropical Coast Zone 2.
- "I believe you youngsters refer to a beating as, eh, 'being schooled'? In that case, class is in session."
- —Master Zik preparing to fight Sonic, Tropical Coast Zone 4.
- "Some lessons can only learned at the end of a boot! It is time to TEACH you those lessons!"
- —Master Zik threatening Sonic, Tropical Coast Zone 2.
- Master Zik is the only member of the Deadly Six to have a prefix to his name.
- Master Zik's personality and appearance are based off of an early Chinese poet.
- In the Nintendo 3DS version of Sonic Lost World, Master Zik is shown to be able to ride his staff like a surfboard.
- Master Zik is the only member who carries a weapon-like tool.
- Master Zik is one of only two members of the Deadly Six to incorporate a Color Power into his boss fight in the Wii U/PC version of Sonic Lost World, the other one being Zomom.
- File:SLW Zik Profile.jpg
- Devra Newberger Speregen (2016). Sonic: The Ultimate Character Guide. Scholastic. ISBN 978-1338033243.
- Master Zik in the cutscene before Tropical Coast Zone 4.
- Sonic Lost World. Retrieved on 6 October 2013. "Wise old Master Zik founded the Deadly Six many years ago. Whilst normally taking it easy in his semi-retirement, his unparalleled wisdom and powers allows him to fight with the strength and agility of someone a fraction of his age. This is one old guy not to be messed with!"
- SEGA (23 June 2016). Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games Wii U. Nintendo. Area/Level: Collectibles (Flags). "Zavok is the strongest of the sinister Zeti and the leader of the Deadly Six. As the last disciple of Master Zik, he's a certified force to be reckoned with. Along with his formidable physical prowess, a calm demeanor and penchant for quick-thinking makes his well-suited to leadership. His greatest joy is in improving his skills, which makes the straight-forward competitive nature of the Olympic Games quite appealing."
- Sonic Lost World (Wii U) electronic manual
- Japanese profile for Master Zik: "Zavok's master, and a martial arts expert formerly known as the strongest warrior."