Join the fun and go for gold!
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014 is a cross-over sports/party video game for the Wii U and is the fourth installment of the Mario & Sonic series. It was first announced by Satoru Iwata on Nintendo Direct on 17 May 2013, as the second out of the three titles of Sega and Nintendo's exclusive collaboration, the first being Sonic Lost World and the third being Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric/Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal. It is also the first game in the series published by Nintendo outside of Japan and South Korea rather than Sega, who published the first three games.
|Sonic||Speed||The hedgehog with attitude is used to being cool, so the Olympic Winter Games are the ideal showcase for his unbeatable speed.|
|Dr. Eggman||Skill||What Dr. Eggman lacks in natural athletic ability he makes up for in skill and his astonishing IQ of 300.|
|Tails||Skill||Sonic's long-standing sidekick is an ace pilot and an expert with machines. This fox might be young, but his natural abilities make him a match for any competitor.|
|Amy||All-Around||A cheerful and energetic hedgehog. With a well-balanced set of capabilities, she's out to win.|
|Metal Sonic||Speed||Engineered to outperform even Sonic himself in the speed stakes, Metal Sonic is just as fast on ice as he is on the open road.|
|Knuckles||Power||Guardian of the Master Emerald, this echidna packs a real punch. His sizeable strength means he's always a contender.|
|Vector||Power||With a love of all things gold, this crafty croc will use his impressive strength to snag as many Gold Medals as possible.|
|Shadow||Speed||Matching his great rival Sonic in almost every regard, Shadow is out to prove he's the ultimate competitor.|
|Blaze||All-Around||This feline princess hails from another dimension, where she protects the Sol Emeralds. With no obvious weaknesses, she's an intimidating opponent.|
|Silver||Skill||This mysterious hedgehog from the future possesses telekinetic powers. He's sure to be a force to be reckoned with in Sochi.|
|Kamek||Bullet Bill Sledge Race|
|Jet||Snowboard Parallel Giant Slalom|
|King Boo||Short Track 1000m|
|Omega||Roller Coaster Bobsleigh|
|Eggman Nega||Winter Sports Champion Race|
|Rouge||Winter Sports Champion Race|
|Dry Bowser||Winter Sports Champion Race|
|Referee characters||Audience characters||In event characters|
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014 features sixteen events, including a wide variety of Olympic winter sports, including skiing, snowboarding, bobsledding, pairs figure skating and curling. Players have to use both the GamePad and the Wii Remote Plus, depending on the event in question. Curling, for example, requires players to draw lines on the GamePad's screen.
The game also includes special events set in the world of Mario & Sonic, in which characters have special abilities not possible in the real world. Mixed events that combine sports like skiing, snowboarding and bobsledding in one race, are available. Figure skating can now be performed with two characters on the same team, working simultaneously.
|Single Match||Enjoy any event quickly and easily. Play solo, pit your skills against friends and family, or work together in selected co-operative events.|
|Medley Mania||Compete in special event medleys, or create your own. The player with the most points at the end wins, so go all-out!|
|Worldwide VS||Face-off against players from all over the world in selected events. Perform well and help your country in the global rankings!|
|Legends Showdown||All 20 characters come together for a spectacular single-player showdown! Clear stages, defeat boss characters, and take home the ultimate trophy!|
|Action & Answer Tour||Get friends and family together for a unique combination of sports and quiz questions! Use your body and your brain in a wild mode where anything can happen!|
Legends Showdown is a story mode of the game. There are 5 areas and characters of the game have separated to 5 different teams: Sonic, Tails, Yoshi and Donkey Kong in blue team, Amy, Knuckles, Wario and Waluigi in red team, Vector, Shadow, Daisy and Luigi in Orange team, Silver, Blaze, Mario and Peach in yellow team and Metal Sonic, Dr. Eggman, Bowser and Bowser, Jr. in green team.
The player will race against your chosen character's ghost form, which has similarities to fog ghosts seen in Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Each team completes an area, which has 4 events and one boss battle. In 2nd event you must face a mii and in a last stage of area you must beat the boss.
When the area is completed, the player will get the rank based on your score. Skill points determines the number of points got in a single event. If you get A+, you will be rewarded with Mii outfit.
Action and answer tour
Action and answer tour is an action quiz, which combines quiz and minigames. In Quick shot and answer, the answering happens by shooting the answer to the question.
- Melody and answer (4-man bobsleigh): Players must ride along the path, where they hear an instrument. When players reaches the finish line, they must answer which instrument they heard.
- Lucky chance: This is lucky based event. Choose answer and see how many points did you get between 2-10.
- Scratch and answer (Freestyle ski cross): Player skis along the silver scratch sheet, which hides winning number. Player must scratch them and reveal the winning number, then go through the gate, which number is same as winning number. Correct number has rainbow sheet.
- Mid-air scratch and answer (Ski jumping large hill): You will see a sign. Catch the balloons, which has same picture as sign. The winner is the one, who collects the most of the answer balloons.
- Mid-air formation and answer (Ski jumping large hill): During your jump, paratroopas and byzz bombers will make formation. You must answer what kind of form they will do. If you stay longer in air, that easier is to answer.
- Boo hunt and answer (Short trackspeed skating 1000M): The Boo is taking a video of you. Players must find him by using a gamepad, which shows the recording. The winner is the one, who bumps into Boo.
- Spiny scramble and answer (Snowboard cross): Lakitu is throwing spinies around the course. Count how many during the event to win.
- Giant balloon and answer (Alpine skiing downhill): After passing a gate, a giant balloon with snowflakes appears. When you know how many snowflakes it has, press the A button.
- Goal shoot and answer (Ice hockey): Players must shoot to goal, which has the sign of plauer, who were introduced first at tour.
- Try your luck and answer (Snowboard slope style): Which barrel has the most rings? Break the barrels and collect as much of rings as you can. The winner is the one, who collects the most rings.
|Winter Sports Champion Race||Mini Russia Island||Use four types of equipment – skis, skates, snowboard and bobsleigh – in a demanding test of all-around ability!|
|Groove Pipe Snowboard||Mushroom Bridge||Negotiate twists, curves and ramps in an exhilarating race to the finish.|
|Figure Skating Spectacular||Dream Skating Center||A dynamic musical performance on ice with a big difference: there's an extra rink in the air, too!|
|Roller Coaster Bobsleigh||Speed Highway||Race along at unbelievable speeds and take in the sights and sounds in a unique bobsleigh race!|
|Snow Day Street Hockey||Delfino Plaza||Take your team to the ice and use skill, strategy, and a range of wild items to win the day!|
|Hole In One Curling||Green Hill Zone||You've never seen curling like this! One team member rides a large stone pushed by the other player.|
|Snowball Scrimmage||Snow Colosseum||Two teams line up for the ultimate snowball fight. Ready, aim... throw!|
|Bullet Bill Sledge Race||Sweet Mountain||Hit high speeds in a two-seater bobsleigh pulled by a team of super-fast Bullet Bills!|
This game has received mixed reviews, with most praising the visuals, but criticizing the game for being too similar to previous games of the series. It currently holds a score of 56% at GameRankings and 57/100 at Metacritic. Nintendo Life gave the game 6 out of 10 and Digital Spy gave it 3 out of 5. IGN criticized it for unbalanced AI and unresponsive motion controls and gave it 4.5/10.
- This game is the fifth crossover between Mario and Sonic. The others being Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games and Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
- This is the first Mario & Sonic game on the Wii U and the first one to not be on the Wii.
- The game appears to have the longest Sonic the Hedgehog video game title in the entire Sonic franchise, as it has twenty syllables in its entire name (twenty-two syllables if one pronounced it "two thousand and fourteen" instead of "twenty fourteen").
- It has exactly the same characters as Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games.
- This is the first and only Mario & Sonic game without a handheld counterpart.
- This is also the first game of the series that includes online multiplayer mode.
- Coincidentally, both Green Hill Zone and Delfino Plaza appeared as stages in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- There is a stage from each era:
- This game features special animations for some paired characters.
- This is the last Sonic game where Kate Higgins voices Tails.
- This is also the first Mario & Sonic game where voice overs exist not only for English and Japanese, but also for German, French, Italian, and Spanish.
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGp-Z2pIdTc&t=7m1s
- ↑ http://nintendoeverything.com/124722/mario-sonic-at-the-sochi-2014-olympic-winter-games-fact-sheet/
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnac6aGGG10
- ↑ http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?action=news&nid=3032&pageID=6
- ↑ http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/games/mario-sonic-at-the-sochi-2014-olympic-winter-games/110105?gclid=CP326p3C7rgCFctr7AodFUgAlQ&affid=9797&cid=ppc_60000004
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 http://mynintendonews.com/2013/05/17/new-mario-sonic-game-announced-for-wii-u/