Mario and Sonic head to London!
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games is the third installment of the Mario & Sonic series. This is a sports game for Wii and the Nintendo 3DS. This game features new sports, such as football (Soccer), and the 3DS version features a unique control mechanism. The Wii version released 15 November 2011 and the 3DS version was released on 14 February 2012. It was playable at E3 2011 and Gamescom 2011. A playable 3DS demo was released on 27 January 2012.
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 Characters
- 3 Sports
- 4 Story Mode (Nintendo 3DS Version)
- 5 Locations
- 6 Items
- 7 Collections
- 8 Reception
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Features
- 11 Videos
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Each character in the game has statistics to which kind of event they would be good at and which event they would not be good at. The game features four or five statistics (Acceleration, Max Speed, Skill, Power, Stamina) that a character can be and each type classifies where that character will excel in comparison to the other types. Each character still has other stats that come in effect and are not determined by their type. These statistics are more based off that characters natural abilities, a good comparison is with Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles, even though Tails is a Skill type, he is still fast, just not as fast as Sonic (who is a Speed type) and even though Amy is All-Around she's strong, fast, as well as being very skilled but not to the extent as Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles.
|Donkey Kong||Power||Wild Ones|
- Big the Cat (Nintendo 3DS)
- Charmy Bee
- Cream the Rabbit
- Espio the Chameleon
- Shy Guy
- 100m Sprint: In this event, athletes race with each other to the finish line. First one to the finish line wins. Mario advantage.
- 110m Hurdles: In this event, the player races with 7 other racers to the finish line while jumping over hurdles. Sonic Advantage
- 4 x 100m Relay: Shadow advantage
- Long Jump: Bowser Jr. advantage
- Hammer Throw: Donkey Kong advantage
- Discus Throw: Vector advantage
- Javelin Throw: Knuckles advantage
- Uneven Bars: Tails Advantage
- Trampoline: Blaze Advantage
- Rhythmic Ribbon: Peach advantage
- 100m Freestyle: Daisy advantage
- Synchronized Swimming - Team: Amy, Peach, Blaze and Daisy advantage
- Canoeing: Canoe Sprint 1000m Flatwater_ Bowser and Bowser Jr advantage
- Equestrian: Show Jumping: Luigi advantage
- Badminton - Doubles: DR Eggman and Metal Sonic advantage
- Beach Volleyball: Daisy advantage
- Table Tennis - Singles: Yoshi advantage
- Football (Soccer) Knuckles advantage
- Shooting: 50m Pistol Shooting: Waluigi advantage
- Fencing: Individual Epée: Silver advantage
- Track Cycling: Team Pursuit: Eggman, Shadow, Wario and Waluigi advantage
- Dream Events:
- Dream Long Jump: Yoshi advantage
- Dream Rafting: Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong advantage
- Dream Discus: Metal Sonic advantage
- Dream Uneven Bars: Sonic advantage
- Dream Hurdles: Luigi advantage
- Dream Equestrian: Peach, Daisy, Mario, and Luigi advantage
- Dream Sprint: Silver advantage
- Dream Trampoline: Vector advantage
- Dream Spacewalk: Mario advantage
- Dream Fencing: Shadow advantage
- London Party Mode
- 100m Sprint (Heroes)
- 110m Hurdles (Challengers)
- 20 km Race Walk (Heroes)
- 1500m (Challengers)
- 3000m Steeplechase (Challengers)
- 4 x 100m Relay (Heroes)
- Marathon (Heroes)
- Long Jump (Tricksters)
- Triple Jump (Challengers)
- Pole Vault (Heroes)
- Hammer Throw (Wild Ones)
- Javelin Throw (Wild Ones)
- Shot Put (Challengers)
- 100m Freestyle (Heroes)
- 100m Backstroke (Girls)
- 10k Marathon Swim (Challengers)
- Platform Diving (Synchronised) (Tricksters)
- Water Polo (Challengers)
- Synchronized Swimming (Duet) (Heroes)
- Synchronized Swimming (Team) (Girls)
- 100m Breaststroke (Tricksters)
- Court and Field Games:
- Beach Volleyball (Girls)
- Table Tennis (Doubles) (Heroes)
- Tennis (Singles) (Wild Ones)
- Basketball (Challengers)
- Badminton (Singles) (Tricksters)
- Badminton (Doubles) (Heroes)
- Contact Sports:
- Judo (Heroes)
- Boxing (Wild Ones)
- Taekwondo (Tricksters)
- Fencing - Epee (Heroes)
- Wrestling - Freestyle (Wild Ones)
- Balance Beam (Girls)
- Rythmic Ribbon (Girls)
- Horizontal Bar (Heroes)
- Rings (Wild ones)
- Floor (Challengers)
- Trampoline (Challengers)
- BMX (Heroes)
- Sprint (Heroes)
- Omnium (Girls)
- Keirin (Girls)
- Boat Games:
- 1000m Kayak (Singles) (Tricksters)
- Rowing - Quadruple Sculls (Heroes)
- Canoe Slalom (Pair) (Girls)
- Sailing - 470 (Pair) (Heroes)
- Double Trap (Wild Ones)
- 25m Rapid Fire Pistol (Tricksters)
- Archery (Individual) (Girls)
- Archery (Teams) (Heroes)
- Triathlon (Heroes)
- Modern Pentathlon (Heroes)
- Soccer (Wild Ones)
- Handball (Tricksters)
- Hockey (Tricksters)
- Weightlifting (Wild Ones)
- Show Jumping (Girls)
- Story Mode
Story Mode (Nintendo 3DS Version)
Bowser and Dr. Eggman watch over London from the inside of Big Ben, but the doctor tells Bowser they're already starting the 2012 Olympics and they haven't got their invitations yet. Bowser suggests that he could use his new machine. Dr. Eggman agrees and puts a mysterious pot in side of it and presses the start button. Then, colorful fog covers all over London, while Bowser and Dr. Eggman laugh in victory.
Bowser Jr. arrives in England to compete in the games. Unfortunately, he took a wrong turn and ended up in Stonehenge instead of London. He sees Yoshi training for the games and challenges him to an Olympic event. Jr. wins and calls on his Bullet Bill to bring him to London. Later, Omochao and a regular Chao are being threatened by two of Dr. Eggman's robots for unknown reasons. Shadow and Silver arrive to defeat them, but Jr., flying overhead, accidentally falls off of his Bullet Bill and destroys both robots. The two Chao are grateful and even the two hedgehogs are impressed. Wanting to see how strong he really is, they challenge Jr. to a 2-on-1 Olympic event. Surprisingly, Jr. wins. Shadow and Silver are good sports and congratulate the young Koopa. A nearby Goomba convinces Jr. to look for more robots so that he'll be even stronger. Arriving at the stadium, Jr. and the Goomba see Dr. Eggman measuring Metal Sonic's time running around the track. Jr. challenges Metal Sonic to an event. Thinking this would be perfect practice for the robot, Eggman agrees, on the condition that Jr. becomes his servant if he loses. Jr. accepts, telling Eggman that if he wins, he has to tell Bowser of his victory. With that, the reptile and robot set off. Jr. eventually wins. Eggman tries to examine Jr. to see what he needs to do to upgrade Metal Sonic, but Jr. angrily stops him, demanding a snack in exchange for Eggman trying to trick him. The scientist reluctantly agrees.
Meanwhie, Bowser angrily stomps through London, followed by a Goomba, a Lakitu, and a Magikoopa. Bowser is really angry because of a toothache he has. His minions decide to cheer him up by secretly letting him win some Olympic events against various challengers. Their first target is Donkey Kong. The Magikoopa promises a pile of bananas in exchange for defeating Bowser in an event, but when the ape agrees, the wizard summons a Thwomp to fall on DK, making him dizzy and less likely to win. When Bowser shows up, he defeats DK, but behind his back, the Magikoopa makes it up to DK by getting him those bananas he promised. Later, the Magikoopa, as well as the Lakitu and a Dry Bones, somehow convince Knuckles and Vector to rendevous. To convince them to fight, the Magikoopa uses his magic to make the Lakitu look like Charmy and the Dry Bones to look like Espio. The two real Chaotix members notice the two fake members acting funny, but agree to fight Bowser. The Magikoopa then summons giant versions of a Chain Chomp and Piranha Plant to bite Knuckles and Vector, respectively. Similar to DK, this makes the two animals dazed and less likely to win. After Bowser defeats them, the Goomba (who had led Bowser to the arena) quickly escorts him out before Knuckles and Vector ask too many questions. For Bowser's last false victory, the minions plan to have their king triumph over Mario in a tennis game. Unfortunately, the Boo assigned for the job failed to trick Mario into coming to the court, so after the other minions come, Dry Bones distracts Bowser while the others think of a plan. The Magikoopa decides he'll have to transform one of the minions into Mario. Dry Bones can't do it since he's talking to Bowser, and neither Boo nor Lakitu can do it because they're floating. This leaves the Goomba as the only solution. The mushroom is terrified to do it, but when Bowser's patience wears thin, he agrees. Bowser challenges "Mario" to a game of tennis and wins. After the match, Bowser Jr. arrives and congratulates his dad while the minions celebrate over the success of their plan.
In his secret headquarters inside Big Ben, Eggman defeats Metal Sonic in a match of Taekwondo. However, he is unsure what to do to upgrade his creation. His other robot minions, Orbot and Cubot, see Waluigi on the monitors and suggest him for practice. The foursome confront the man in purple and convince him to battle, saying it would make good practice for defeating Luigi in the Olympics. Metal Sonic wins, and Eggman deduces that Metal Sonic possesses speed, but not strength. Eggman and the robots come across Wario and ask him to challenge Metal Sonic so that the robot may go against Wario's strength. However, defeating Mario isn't good enough for Wario, so he and Eggman settle on a bet: If Wario wins, Orbot and Cubot come work for him. If Metal Sonic wins, Wario has to give Eggman something of his. Metal Sonic emerges victorious. Wario gives Eggman an old urn he got from an antique shop, claiming its magic. Eggman seems to recognize it and accepts it. Back in his headquarters, Eggman places the urn inside a machine. The machine slightly unseals the lid on the urn and gray fog pours into the room. Some of this fog takes the shape of Sonic and Eggman challenges it to an event. Eggman appears victorious and the Sonic imposter vanishes into thin air. Eggman explains to his minions that this urn contains the legendary Phantasmal Fog, stolen 300 years ago by the legendary pirate William Kidd. The urn eventually ended up in the British Museum, where it was recently stolen. Eggman resolves to completely unseal the urn after he and Metal Sonic are done training for the Olympics.
At Hyde Park Peach, Amy, Blaze, and three Toads are setting up the invitations for all of the athletes, however Amy suggests she take Sonic's invitation to him personally, Blaze suggests that if Amy can beat her in a competition she will let her go. Then, after Amy beats her, Daisy shows up and battles with Peach and after Peach wins they all go out for a break, but when they return the wind had knocked off all of the invitations to the ground. After they pick them all up they realize that they are missing Bowser's and Eggman's invitations they make new ones. Later, Peach and Amy meet Bowser and Eggman in the park and end up playing a round of Beach Volleyball, after they win they go fetch their invitations, but at the same moment the toads go to deliver them, they drop Eggman and Bowser's next to them. Bowser and Eggman look at how well it's written and think that their love letters to Sonic and Mario. Bowser and Eggman go off together looking around London before they do something evil. The girls assume that Bowser and Eggman took their own and then all go out shopping together before the Olympic Games start.
- Windy Valley from Sonic Adventure (Dream Discus)
- Grand Metropolis from Sonic Heroes (Dream Uneven Bars)
- Ocean Palace from Sonic Heroes (Dream Fencing)
- Crazy Gadget from Sonic Adventure 2 (Dream Trampoline)
- Bingo Highway from Sonic Heroes (Dream Sprint)
- Yoshi's Picture Book from Yoshi's Story (Dream Long Jump)
- Battlerock Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy (Dream Hurdles)
- Moo Moo Meadows from Mario Kart Wii (Dream Equestrian)
- Cheep Cheep River from New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Dream Rafting)
- Syncro Battle Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Dream Space Walk)
Some Items are used in the Dream Events and some in London Party.
- Bombs (to stun the other person/team)
- Power Sneakers (to run faster)
- Barrier (to block off people)
- Rings (to collect in grabbing the most rings or coins)
- Chaos Emerald (Stuns all players)
- Green shell (to throw and goes where ever it was thrown)
- Star (Stuns a player, when colliding during it's effect)
- Coins (same as rings, in grabbing the most rings or coins)
- Red Shell (when thrown it follows the person by itself)
- Banana (to leave on the path till someone falls by it)
Buying goodies returns for the game
Stickers are collected in London Party Mode by winning bonus games from characters or rivals or by winning events.
- Page One
- Rouge the Bat (Rival Showdown: Rouge!): Win Rouge in 110M Hurdles (Day event)
- Dry Bowser (Rival Showdown: Dry Bowser!): Win Dry Bowser in Dream Long Jump (day event)
- Jet the Hawk (Rival Showdown: Jet!): Win Jet in Dream Discus (Day event)
- King Boo (Rival Showdown: King Boo!): Win King Boo in Dream Sprint (Night event)
- Page Two
- Eggman Nega (Rival Showdown: Eggman Nega!): Win Eggman Nega in Fencing (Night event)
- Dry Bones (Rival Showdown: Dry Bones!): Win Dry Bones in Table Tennis (Night event)
- E-123 Omega (Rival Showdown: Omega!): Win Omega in 100M (Day event)
- Birdo (Rival Showdown: Birdo!): Win Birdo in 100m Freestyle (Night event)
- Page Three
- Eggman Nega (Rematch: Eggman Nega!): Win Eggman Nega again in Dream Fencing (Day event)
- Dry Bones (Rematch: Dry Bones!): Win Dry Bones again in Dream Hurdles (Night event)
- E-123 Omega (Rematch: Omega!): Win Omega again in 4X100M Relay (Day event)
- Birdo (Rematch: Birdo!): Win Birdo again in Badminton (Night event)
- Page Four
- Mario (Go Away, Boo!): Be the last standing player to win (Night event)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Get That Crown!): Try to keep other players away, while holding a crown in possession for 15 seconds, or until the time runs out (Day and night event)
- Luigi (Go Away, Boo!): Be the last standing player to win (Night event)
- Miles "Tails" Prower (Hyde Park Coin Collectors!): Collect the most coins thrown by Lakitu to win (Day and night event)
- Princess Peach (Hyde Park Coin Collectors!): Collect the most coins thrown by Lakitu to win (Day and night event)
- Amy Rose (Go Away, Boo!): Be the last standing player to win (Night event)
- Bowser (2-on-2 Tablet Tussle!): Hold the tablet to gather points while avoiding rival team trying to steal tablet (Night event)
- Dr. Eggman (Hyde Park Coin Collectors!): Collect the most coins thrown by Lakitu to win (Day and night event)
- Yoshi (Get That Crown!)Try to keep other players away, while holding a crown in possession for 15 seconds, or until the time runs out (Day and night event)
- Knuckles (2-on-2 Tablet Tussle!): Hold the tablet to gather points while avoiding rival team trying to steal tablet (Night event)
- Wario (2-on-2 Tablet Tussle!): Hold the tablet to gather points while avoiding rival team trying to steal tablet (Night event)
- Shadow the Hedgehog (Get That Crown!): Try to keep other players away, while holding a crown in possession for 15 seconds, or until the time runs out (Day and night event)
- Waluigi (Hyde Park Coin Collectors!): Collect the most coins thrown by Lakitu to win (Day and night event)
- Silver the Hedgehog (Hyde Park Coin Collectors!): Collect the most coins thrown by Lakitu to win (Day and night event)
- Princess Daisy (Get That Crown!): Try to keep other players away, while holding a crown in possession for 15 seconds, or until the time runs out (Day and night event).
- Blaze the Cat (Go Away, Boo!): Be the last standing player to win (Night event)
- Bowser Jr. (Go Away, Boo!): Be the last standing player to win (Night event)
- Metal Sonic (Get That Crown!): Try to keep other players away, while holding a crown in possession for 15 seconds, or until the time runs out (Day and night event)
- Donkey Kong (2-on-2 Tablet Tussle!): Hold the tablet to gather points while avoiding rival team trying to steal tablet (Night event)
- Vector the Crocodile (2-on-2 Tablet Tussle!): Hold the tablet to gather points while avoiding rival team trying to steal tablet (Night event)
- Pink Toad (Coin Collectors: Shell Game!): Collect the most coins using items to prevent other players (Day and night event)
- Espio the Chameleon (Vacant Lot Espio Search!): Find Espio as many times as you can (Night event. Any skill-type character)
- Shy Guy (Get That Shy Guy!): Catch the shy Guy with everyone (Play instructions at the start of the round)
- Charmy Bee (Highway Ring Collectors!): Collect the most rings to win (Day and night event. Charmy)
- Page Five
- Shy Guy (Shy Guy Tag!): tag all Shy guys to win (Night event. Shy Guy)
- Neutral Chao (Bonus Sticker): Earned by either activating minigame first, collecting ? bubbles, via Sticker gift-effect or Bonus stickers.
- Lakitu (Guard The Hyde Park Diamonds!): (Night event. Lakitu)
- Omochao (Event Quiz!): Event themed questions (Day and night event. Omochao)
- Lakitu (Follow The Flighty Lakitu!): (Day and night event. Lakitu)
- Kiki (Vacant Lot Kiki Hunt!): Catch the most Kikis to win (Day event. Cream)
- Goomba (Highway Goomba Hunt!): Defeat given number of Goombas. Number of Goombas depends which difficulty is used in game (Night event. Any All-around character)
- Bullet Bill (Supporting Cast Quiz!): Questions related to supporting characters (Day and night event. Shy Guy)
- Spiny (Coin Collectors: Spiny Shock!): Collect the most coins while avoiding Spinies (Day and Night event. Pink Toad)
- Cheep-Cheep (Highway Tally!): Count all given creatures to earn points. (Day event. Lakitu)
- Boo (Boo's Treasure Chest!/Watch out for Boo): Open treasure chests while hoping Boo won't appear.
- Mario & Sonic Icons (Hero Quiz!): Questions related to Mario and Sonic (Day and night event. Shy Guy)
- Peach, Blaze, Daisy & Amy Icons (Heroine Quiz!): Questions related to playable girl characters (Day and night event. Birdo)
- Bowser, Knuckles, Luigi & Dr. Eggman Icons (Athlete Characters Quiz!): Questions related to athletes except for girls, Mario and Sonic (Day and night event. Shy Guy)
- Coin & Ring (All Characters Quiz!): Questions related to every character in Mario and Sonic series (Day and night event. Birdo)
- Question Mark (Grab-Bag Quiz!): Questions from EVERY other quiz themes in the game (Day and night event. Cream)
- Podest (Olympic Games Quiz!): Questions related to Olympic games (Day and night event. Omochao)
- United Kingdom Flag (United Kingdom Quiz!): Questions related to United Kingdom (Day and night event. Omochao)
- Buckingham palace (London Quiz!): Questions related to London (Day and Night event. Omochao)
- Tower Bridge (2-on-2 Tag!): catch/avoid the rival team (Day and night event. Jet)
- Nelson's column (3-on-1 Vacant Lot Tag!): Catch/avoid rival team in vacant area (Day and Night event. Jet)
- English Police Cap (2-on-2 London Tag!): Avoid/catch the rival team in wide area (Day and Night event. Jet)
- London Eye (Point-Based Shell Showdown!): Get the most points by throwing shells on opponents (Day event. Any power type)
- (One-Shot Shell Showdown!): be the last one standing using red shells (Day event. Espio)
- Page Six
- (2-on-2 Shell Showdown!): Reduce the health to 0 from rival team (Night event. Espio)
- Big Ben (Collect Shy Guy's Coins!): Collect coins by talking to Shy Guys (Night event. Lakitu)
- London Bus (Stay On the Hazardous Highway!): Survive from the hazardous version of the gauntlet (Day and night event. Charmy)
- Cage (Orbot & Cubot Tag!): Don't let Cubot and orbot catch any player (Night event. Pink Toad)
- Coin (London Coin Collectors!): Collect the most coins to win (Day and night event. Pink toad)
- Stickers (Hyde Park Sticker Hunt!): Collect the most stickers with sensors attatched to feet (day and night event. Pink Toad)
- Cannon (Catch the Floating Sticker!): Collect the most stickers (Day and night event. Cream)
- Barricade (Stay On the Marathon Highway!): avoid obstacles and reach the finish line (Day and night event. Any speed type)
- Checkpoint (London Sightseeing Tour!): Find all checkpoints to win (Day and night event. Lakitu)
- Green Pipe (2-on-2 Tag, Pipe-Style!): Catch /avoid rival team advantaging pipes (Night event. Charmy)
- Siren Light (3-on-1 Tag!): Catch/avoid rival team to win (Night event. Jet)
- Dartboard (Rotary Chance): Win in rotary chance (triggered in halfway of the game. Cream and Toad)
- Block (2-on-2 Icon Matchup!): match the shown icon with your partner (Day event. Pink toad)
- 100m: Win in 100m (Day event. Omega)
- 110m Hurdles: Win in 110M hurdles (Day event. Rouge)
- 4x100 Relay: Win in 4X100 Relay (Day event. Omega)
- Long Jump: Win in long Jump (Day event, 1 try. Charmy)
- Hammer Throw: Win in Hammer Throw (Day event, 1 try. Lakitu)
- Discus Throw: Win in Discus Throw (Day event, 1 try. Espio)
- Javelin Throw: Win in javelin Throw (Day event, 1 try. Lakitu)
- Uneven Bars: Win in uneven Bars (Night event. Omochao)
- Trampoline:Win in Trampoline (Night event, 5 jumps. Boo)
- Rhythmic Ribbon: Win in Rhythmic Ribbon (Night event. green Toad)
- 100m Freestyle: Win in 100M Freestyle (Night event. Birdo)
- Page Seven
- Synchronised Swimming: Win in Synchronized Swimming (Night event. Blue Toad)
- Canoeing: Win in Canoeing (Day event. Espio)
- Equestrian: Win in Equestrian (Day event, short course. Green Shy Guy)
- Badminton: Win in badminton (Night event, 5 points. Birdo)
- Beach Volleyball: Win in Beach volleyball (Day event, 5 points. Charmy)
- Table Tennis: Win in Table Tennis (Night event, 5 points. Dry Bones)
- Football: Win in Football (Day event, 2 minutes. Cream)
- Shooting - Pistol: Win in Shooting (Night event, one of six rounds. Espio)
- Fencing - Epée: Win in Fencing (Night event, 5 points. Eggman nega)
- Cycling: Win in Cycling (Night event. Blue Shy Guy)
- Dream Long Jump: win in Dream Long Jump (Day event. Dry Bowser)
- Dream Rafting: Win in Dream Rafting (Day event. Toad)
- Dream Discus: Win in Dream discus (Day event. Jet)
- Dream Uneven Bars: Win in Dream uneven Bars (Day event. Cream)
- Dream Hurdles: Win in Dream hurdles (Night event. Dry Bones)
- Dream Equestrian: win in Dream Equestrian (Day event. Toad)
- Dream Sprint: Win in Dream Sprint (Night event. King Boo)
- Dream Trampoline: Win in Dream Trampoline (Night event. Cream)
- Dream Spacewalk: Win in Dream Spacewalk (Night event. Toad)
- Dream Fencing: Win in Dream Fencing (Day event. Eggman Nega)
Some music returns from the past installment
- "Angel Island Zone" from Sonic the Hedgehog 3
- "Flying Battery Zone" from Sonic & Knuckles
- "Splash Hill Zone" from Sonic the Hedgehog 4
- "City Escape" from Sonic Adventure 2
- "Tropical Resort" from Sonic Colors
- "Reach for the Stars" from Sonic Colors
- "Palmtree Panic" from Sonic the Hedgehog CD
- "Let the Speed Mend It" from Sonic and the Secret Rings
- "Right There, Right On" from Sonic Rush
- "His World" from Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
- "Misty Lake" from Sonic and the Black Knight
- "Metal Harbor" from Sonic Adventure 2
- "Seaside Hill" from Sonic Heroes
- "Rooftop Run" from Sonic Unleashed
- "A New Venture" from Sonic Rush Adventure
- "Emerald Coast" from Sonic Adventure
- "Windy and Ripply" from Sonic Adventure
- "Main Theme" from Super Mario Bros.
- "Underwater Theme" from Super Mario Bros.
- "Main Theme" from Super Mario Bros. 3
- "Athletic Theme" from Super Mario Bros. 3
- "Main Theme" from Super Mario World
- "Main Theme" from Super Mario 64
- "Bowser Road" from Super Mario 64
- "Delfino Plaza" from Super Mario Sunshine
- "Mario Circuit" from Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
- "Coincentration" from Super Mario 64 DS
- "Athletic Theme" from New Super Mario Bros.
- "Underwater Theme" from New Super Mario Bros.
- "Gusty Garden Galaxy" from Super Mario Galaxy
- "Purple Comet" from Super Mario Galaxy
- "Coconut Mall" from Mario Kart Wii
- "Wario's Gold Mine" from Mario Kart Wii
- "Main Theme" from New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- "Puzzle Plank Galaxy" from Super Mario Galaxy 2
Costumes make a reappearance in this game. Some of these return from the past installment. Note that some of these Mii costumes can be unlocked by completing objectives. Cream, Toad, or other characters will then give you new costumes by mail.
Sonic Mii Costumes
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles Tails Prower
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Rouge the Bat
- E-123 Omega
- Amy Rose
- Dr. Eggman
- Metal Sonic
- Egg Pawn*
- Vector the Crocodile
- Espio the Chameleon
- Charmy Bee
- Silver the Hedgehog
- Blaze the Cat
- Big the Cat
- Cream the Rabbit*
- Jet the Hawk*
- Wave the Swallow*
- Storm the Albatross*
- Super Sonic
- Marine the Raccoon*
- Sonic the Werehog*
Mario Mii Costumes
- Donkey Kong
- Bowser Jr.
- Dry Bowser
- Dry Bones
- Diddy Kong
- Fire Mario
- Bee Mario
- Propeller Mario*
- Penguin Mario*
- Ludwig von Koopa*
- Larry Koopa*
- Wendy O' Koopa*
- Morton Koopa Jr.*
- Iggy Koopa*
- Roy Koopa*
- Lemmy Koopa*
Olympic Mascot Mii costumes
(Names with a * beside it are new and were not in the previous installment.)
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games received mostly positive reviews. Nintendo Power gave the Wii version a 7.0 rating in their November 2011 issue, stating that the game had events that weren't just minigames, but good ones, too. They also reviewed the Nintendo 3DS version in their January/February 2012 issue, giving it, as well, a 7.0 rating, saying that some of the events weren't quite accurate, but still a fun minigame jaboree. IGN gave the Wii version a 7.5 rating, saying that the game is a recycled version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games with the events, but liking the Dream Events and the London Party.
- This is the only Sonic game where the characters were not officially dubbed in French, Italian, German or Spanish following Sonic Generations.
- Only the Announcer got dubbed in these languages.
- This is the first game in the Mario & Sonic series to not feature any new playable characters.
- The trailer shows Mario participating in the trampoline event while Sonic is participating in the track event, emphasizing their famous abilities (Jumping and Running, respectively).
- This is the first Mario & Sonic game to feature the new Sonic voice cast.
- This is the last Sonic game to be released on the Wii.
- This is the first and only Mario & Sonic game to show Dream Events in the actual trailer outside of gameplay.
- This game is included in the Wii Limited Edition.
- This is the only Mario & Sonic title to have the Wii logo a different color than usual games (aside from the Japanese Wii logo). The Wii's logo is yellow.
- In Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, Vector's arms have been recolored a darker green, as opposed to being the same color as his underbelly.
- The remix of Splash Hill Zone was first heard during the 2011 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, to mark the return of the Sonic balloon, being the lead of the parade and for being out of commission since 1993.
- The remixes of Angel Island Zone and His World in this game are the same remixes that were in Super Smash Bros Brawl.
- There are over 55 playable events, making this game have the most included amount of events out of any Mario & Sonic game yet.
- Each female has 3 outfits: Their normal Olympics outfit for most events, their winter Olympics outfit exclusive to the equestrian event, and their new outfit for swimming and gymnastics.
- The 3DS version is the first Mario & Sonic game to not have Dream Events.
- This is the second Mario & Sonic game where a Mario character and a Sonic character is seen at the same team in the game's opening, the first was Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, where Yoshi and Tails were in the same team, along with Silver and Amy in a Curling match.
- Amy, Blaze, Peach and Daisy at the Synchronized Swimming.
- Shadow, Dr. Eggman, Wario and Waluigi at the Team Pursuit.
- Silver and Donkey Kong against Vector and Daisy at the Beach Volleyball.
- Knuckles, Metal Sonic, Yoshi and Waluigi at the Football event.
- There are no female Power types.
- There are also no male All-Around characters from Sonic.
- Knuckles is the only Power type who isn't big at all.
- There are also no male All-Around characters from Sonic.
- In Aquatic, Equestrian and Gymnastic games, all the female characters have different clothes on.
- Originally, all characters were going to have swimsuits as well. However, Sega rejected the idea as Sonic was not allowed to have his shoes removed.
- Swimsuits for the female characters were planned since the first game.
- In Aquatics, Sonic wears a life jacket.
- Sonic's life-jacket is blue in this game instead of yellow as in previous games.
- Originally, all characters were going to have swimsuits as well. However, Sega rejected the idea as Sonic was not allowed to have his shoes removed.
- In the opening video, when Sonic grabs Blaze's legs in one of the events showcased, the player can see Blaze's eyes wide with panic - it's most likely a nod to the fact that Blaze is scared of heights, similarly to how Sonic was shown in a life jacket to showcase his inability to swim.
- Blaze's and Amy's character select screens in the 3DS version are recolors of their artwork (Blaze's pose is from Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games and Amy's is from Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing). The same picture of Blaze is reused in Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Wii U version), while another recolored picture of Amy from Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is used.
- There is an unused low poly version of Mario that still exists in the files of the game. It has two textures and three animations.
- Exciting Headline Events - Wii: All new events including football, showjumping and canoeing will debut alongside redefined favorites, such as 100m sprint, aquatics, table tennis and more. Combine these with a new roster of the much loved Dream Events and the players now have more choice than ever before.
- Party in London - Wii: Take the fun of the Olympic Games to the streets of London as the city becomes the ultimate playground! Take part in a huge number of mini-games around a variety of famous landmarks with all your favorite characters in the London Party mode.
- Dozens Of Ways to Play - Nintendo 3DS: Bringing a whole new dimension to the Mario & Sonic universe, enjoy a huge range of over 50 Olympic-themed events in glorious 3D. Make the most out of the unique touch panel and Circle Pad controls as you tilt, blow, shout, tap and more to compete for the coveted gold medal.
- Engaging Depth - Nintendo 3DS: Play as the full cast of characters in a fully immersive single player Story Mode. Take on various episodes to save the London Olympic Games from Bowser and Eggman.
- Shadtzer (16 May 2011). First Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games screenshots. Sonic Stadium.
- Shack News